PDA

View Full Version : Trying to get back in the Corps. Any advice?

spullins4
04-03-13, 05:08 PM
I recently got out of the Marine Corps in December 2012. 5 months out and I realize how much I miss it and want my life back. I'm just wondering what my chances are to get back on active duty with...

Tennessee Top
04-06-13, 09:05 PM
You will have to talk to a prior service recruiter. Don't think your chances are very good but won't hurt to ask any way. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

William Hardy
04-07-13, 09:55 AM
My experience with people who tried to reenter the service, regardless of branch, active, reserve, or guard, was based on need. If you had a "critical" MOS it was easy. It happened to me. I had an intelligence MOS. The school is a year long. Because there was a shortage of intel analysts in the National Guard, I was able to get back in in my 50s without any problem. Younger guys with common MOSs were being turned down. Because I had been out for 10 years, I was administratively reduced from E7 to E5 but that was OK, I still retired as an E7.

jarhead-0311
04-09-13, 02:40 PM
I got out in 03' and came back in 08' I just went to a normal recruiter, I got to keep my rank but lost my time in grade . As far as you coming back in I don't think you will have any luck now as the Marine Corps is downsizing and Sgt's are getting the boot after 10 years (it was 13) I needed a waiver for this last reenlistment as I am going over 10 years on this contract. But give it a try anyway worst thing the recruiter can tell you is no.