PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Company, BLT 1/6 holds the line

thedrifter
12-10-03, 07:01 AM
Charlie Company, BLT 1/6 holds the line
Submitted by: 22nd MEU
Story Identification Number: 20031286555
Story by Gunnery Sgt. Keith A. Milks

ABOARD THE USS WASP (Dec. 8, 2003) -- Crouched behind riot shields, peering through helmet visors, and clutching batons, the Marines of Charlie Company, Battalion Landing Team 1st Bn., 6th Marines form an impenetrable line against the throngs of protesters surging against their line.

During an embassy reinforcement exercise executed during the 22d Marine Expeditionary Unit's (MEU's) Expeditionary Strike Group Exercise (ESGEX), the Marines of Charlie Company had the opportunity to put to use the skills they acquired during the Non-Lethal Weapons and Tactics Course [NLWTC] they attended several months ago.

As one of a MEU's 23 mission-essential tasks, the employment of non-lethal weapons is an important facet of the unit's warfighting arsenal.

Lance Cpl. Mitchell F. Vocke is a rifleman in Charlie Company's 2d Platoon and served as a react squad member during the company's six-hour melee with the protesters.

"The training was awesome," said Vocke, a native of Fairfield, Ohio. "The role-players were much more aggressive than before [at the NLWTC] and that made it much more realistic."

Charlie Company used the full arsenal of skills taught at the NLWTC to secure the 'embassy.' The Marines deployed in their boot-stomping, shield-slamming formations, fired less-than-lethal munitions, dosed the protesters with Oleoresin Capsicum (concentrated form of pepper spray), and employed snatch teams to pluck instigators from the crowd.

Like every other evolution in their pre-deployment training program, the Marines of Charlie Company will use this experience to improve themselves for future operations.

"We'll go back and debrief on everything that happened out here," said Sgt. Anthony L. Viggiani, of Strongsville, Ohio, a Charlie Company squad leader. "We'll talk things over, learn what we did right and wrong, and fine tune our procedures for when we have to do this for real."

The 22d MEU is scheduled to deploy in early next year aboard the amphibious assault ships WASP, SHREVEPORT, and WHIDBEY ISLAND as part of ESG 2. In addition to BLT 1/6, the 22d MEU consists of its Command Element, Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron 266 (Reinforced), and MEU Service Support Group 22.

For more information on the mission, organization, and status of the 22d MEU, visit the unit's website at www.22meu.usmc.mil.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/D61054B958CEDB5785256DF6003CF799?opendocument

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

Doc Crow
12-10-03, 10:09 PM
I always hated NEO Ops always seemed like abad way to operate to me but I am not in charge so just did as I was told

yellowwing
12-10-03, 10:17 PM
The downside is that whole world is watching and JUDGING how we conduct ourselves during these type of Ops. How can our Comander in Chief call China and North Korea on their sh*t when we have to smoke a teenager in some 3rd world ghetto?

I swear that he owes Our Beloved Corps big time!

Doc Crow
12-10-03, 10:18 PM
Maybe it is time we say screw the world. Walk loudly and use that Big Stick Often and make it hurt