PDA

View Full Version : Visiting KIA in Arlington National Cemetery

Tookie22
04-01-13, 08:10 PM
I went to visit my buddy in ANC Saturday. Now I was totally unprepared and heard different traditions. I know he wanted his friends to come to the grave and drink a beer with him. I also understand that it is against the rules in ANC because people litter regardless of how sacred the ground is. My question is Ive heard of people leaving change or stones. Anyone know why or other traditions? And If I brought a beer do you think it would be rude if I sat in front of his grave and drank one cold brew like old times as long as I take my trash with me? I want to remain respectful but want to do something he wanted. Any help, ideas, and thoughts would be appreciated.

josephd
04-01-13, 09:17 PM
I'll just say this......

It is better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission

m14ed
04-02-13, 02:40 AM
Many of us here,
have gone the route to take and "sip" from a papercup, ,
or out of a "BrownPaperBag"

No Doubt,,, you'll take the trash with you as you leave

FistFu68
04-02-13, 09:30 AM
:beer: Known but too God :iwo:

Rocky C
04-02-13, 05:08 PM
Do what you gotta do Brother.

I have no doubt in my mind that you will do the right thing with your trash.

Sorry for your loss...

Semper Fi,
Rocky

Tennessee Top
04-02-13, 11:37 PM
Nobody has to know you're drinking a beer. Pour it into a non-see through coffee mug before you leave your vehicle. You and your friend will be the only ones who know. Of course, when you leave, the coffee mug will go with you and you will have completed your mission.

Tookie22
04-03-13, 06:14 PM
Thanks to everyone for the advice on the beer. Now does anyone know about the traditions regarding stones and loose change? I heard the a Nickel if you knew him, a dime if you deployed together and a quarter if you were there on the day he passed. Not sure if thats accurate though

awbrown1462
04-03-13, 10:43 PM
read this it might help too
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?113333-coins-left-on-tombstones&highlight=COINS+ON+GRAVES

Tookie22
04-05-13, 04:54 PM
Perfect link! Thanks and now I think I know what I want to do for paying respects.

LCPLE3
04-06-13, 08:56 AM
Leaving stones on the grave symbolize the permanence of memory. Flowers are a good metaphor for life. Life withers; it fades like a flower. As Isaiah says, "All flesh is grass, and all its beauty like the flower of the field; grass withers and flowers fade" (Isaiah 40:6-7). For that reason, flowers are an apt symbol of passing. But the memory is supposed to be lasting. While flowers may be a good metaphor for the brevity of life, stones seem better suited to the permanence of memory. Stones do not die.

Tookie22
04-07-13, 08:28 PM
Seriously thanks to everyone with the advice, and knowledge.