PDA

View Full Version : Proper uniform around Air Force

MichiganCpl
03-28-13, 07:15 PM
Uniform regulation question! Help Please!

I will be in my friends commissioning ceremony. He is being commissioned as a 2nd Lt in the Air Force. He needs an enlisted member of the service to give him his "first salute" and has asked me to do so. I've got my leave approved for the occasion but have one problem. I've asked a lot of people, as well as his chain of command as to what uniform I am to wear and I can't seem to get a straight answer. Everything from Service A or C, to Dress Blue A. I was wondering if y'all had any answers. He will be wearing his "Service Dress" uniform.

josephd
03-28-13, 08:02 PM
Dress Blue Bravos(ribbons and shooting badge(s)).....I have been to a few commissioning ceremonies/events(Marines, Army, and Air Force) and this is what we all wore for each.

MichiganCpl
03-28-13, 08:06 PM
Thank you very much

SGT7477
03-28-13, 08:09 PM
I don't think it matters, I would go with full dress blues and if you don't have them I would think full dress greens would be fine, just my thoughts, Semper Fidelis.

SGT7477
03-28-13, 08:11 PM
Uniform regulation question! Help Please!

I will be in my friends commissioning ceremony. He is being commissioned as a 2nd Lt in the Air Force. He needs an enlisted member of the service to give him his "first salute" and has asked me to do so. I've got my leave approved for the occasion but have one problem. I've asked a lot of people, as well as his chain of command as to what uniform I am to wear and I can't seem to get a straight answer. Everything from Service A or C, to Dress Blue A. I was wondering if y'all had any answers. He will be wearing his "Service Dress" uniform.

Another thing Marine, your profile needs work, Semper Fidelis.

yanacek
03-28-13, 08:22 PM
Personally, I would recommend Service Dress A. You friend's commissioning is his day. I think Blue Dress A or B would draw attention from him. My belief if never to dress to outshine the host of the event.

Also, tell him that the first salute rates a silver dollar to you. Tell him you want a real silver dollar and not some cheap crap made in the 1980s with copper and other metals.

SGT7477
03-28-13, 08:31 PM
Personally, I would recommend Service Dress A. You friend's commissioning is his day. I think Blue Dress A or B would draw attention from him. My belief if never to dress to outshine the host of the event.

Also, tell him that the first salute rates a silver dollar to you. Tell him you want a real silver dollar and not some cheap crap made in the 1980s with copper and other metals.

Marines always seem to draw attention, oh well when you are the finest its hard not to, Semper Fidelis.

Tennessee Top
03-29-13, 12:41 AM
I vote for Service Alpha with barracks cover. Remember to give a greeting when you slap that salute on him; "congratulations sir" would be appropriate.

advanced
03-29-13, 08:54 AM
Wear the Blues for all of those Marines that couldn't. If you outshine him it's his problem for going into the a/f. Just saying.

Rocky C
03-29-13, 03:11 PM

X2 :thumbup:

MAG266165
03-29-13, 04:52 PM
When my son graduated with the leadership award for his class at Air Force fighter school, both his father-in-law and I refrained from wearing dress uniforms by mutual agreement because we didn't want to detract from his achievement, so my advice would be to keep it as low-key as practicable (his father-in-law is a retired Army 0-6 with many honors). There were generals galore and everyone was wearing mess uniforms, even the Marines. Having an Air Force four-star introduce himself by his first name and tell me what a great kid I had was one of life's high points. I wore my MCL mess dress with blood stripe.

Ray Harvey
03-30-13, 09:11 AM
I understand the question man asked, because he was going to something for the Air Force. My wife and I are having it right now, because am being honored in May by a group of firefighters. She wants me to wear Blue's, I said a suit. Because their are 14 others being honored and am not the only Marine in the group there are two others. What do you guys say to this one,

SGT7477
03-30-13, 09:20 AM
I understand the question man asked, because he was going to something for the Air Force. My wife and I are having it right now, because am being honored in May by a group of firefighters. She wants me to wear Blue's, I said a suit. Because their are 14 others being honored and am not the only Marine in the group there are two others. What do you guys say to this one,

Wear it Gunny, you have earned it, Semper Fidelis.

MAG266165
03-30-13, 10:34 AM
Since you're the one being honored Gunny, I'd go dress blues alpha.

Rocky C
03-31-13, 06:32 AM
Good call. Same here Gunny. Congrats Brother, enjoy your special day.

Semper Fi,
Rocky

Ray Harvey
03-31-13, 08:40 PM
Thank you for your help Marine's, I guess the next question would be Evening wear or Regular Blue's. If am going to do it, I want to do it right. I spoke to one of the other guys and he is going to wear his uniform.

William Hardy
04-01-13, 07:10 AM
If you have Blues, wear them with medals hanging on Alphas, and take your white gloves with you just in case. I have been to joint service and Air Force ceremonies myself and you should "standout" among all present.
Semper Fi

MAG266165
04-01-13, 08:20 AM
At our last Birthday Ball, some Army senior NCO's attended in their mess dress. At first we thought they were Russian admirals. Dress blue alpha would not be an overerstatement and would certainly add to the formality of the occasion.