PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a PMI or Coach

wswartzendruber
03-27-13, 09:43 PM
First, I'm trying to zero my MILSPEC AR-15 and cannot figure out the expedient BZO procedure. I thought you set the bastard for 300 yards (8/3 or 6/3) and fired on a target that's 36 yards out. My only problem with this is that official USMC documentation says to set it for 200 yards (8/3-2 or 6/3-4).

Second, my upper receiver is mid-length. So it's between an M4 and an M16. Do I get to follow the same rules for setting the rear elevation and windage?

thewookie
03-28-13, 08:14 AM
First, I'm trying to zero my MILSPEC AR-15 and cannot figure out the expedient BZO procedure. I thought you set the bastard for 300 yards (8/3 or 6/3) and fired on a target that's 36 yards out. My only problem with this is that official USMC documentation says to set it for 200 yards (8/3-2 or 6/3-4).

Second, my upper receiver is mid-length. So it's between an M4 and an M16. Do I get to follow the same rules for setting the rear elevation and windage?

Keep it simple - aim into/at the birm, see where the shot hits/splash, adjust accordingly. This assumes you call a good shot, if you do then just adjust off the splash.

This foolproof method takes care of both of your problems/issues. :)

Good luck

thewookie
03-28-13, 08:18 AM
If you Google this "expedient BZO procedure" you'll find a lot of help, too - more technical than my method, but i worked a few days on a range or two and my method is tested, and works fine.

AdrianC1982
03-28-13, 08:55 AM
As I am still a competitive high-power shooter, primarily with an ar15a2, I don't recommend "shooting into the berm" to sight in any rifle. As the 5.56x45 is a very flat shooting round, and all rifles are test fired by the manufacturer, it would be best, in my honest opinion, to go to a proper range and shoot your rifle from the bench. If you don't have a specialized rest to stabilize & support the rifle, dont worry, sand bags, usually provided at ranges work perfect. Set up at the 50 yard line, use proper sight picture & alignment then slow fire 3 rounds using the center of the bull asyour aiming point. Remember, take a breath, release half of it then hold your breath, slowly squeeze the trigger. Repeat this between each shot to maintain accuracy. After checking your target, adjust windage & elevation to move the bullet impact to the center. I assume your ar has 1/2 moa windage & elevation adjustments, but you need to verify this. Once you have zeroed your rifle at 50 yards you can then go to the 100 yard line. At this point your windage should be set to the way you shoot & you'll just need to crank up your elevation slightly to get back to the center. As I mentioned, 5.56 is a flat shooting round so a 100 yard zero will handle the majority of shooting your mid length carbine. If you plan on shooting beyond 100 yards it's easy to make adjustments with a 100 yard zero. Good luck.

thewookie
03-28-13, 09:06 AM
As I am still a competitive high-power shooter, primarily with an ar15a2, I don't recommend "shooting into the berm" to sight in any rifle. As the 5.56x45 is a very flat shooting round, and all rifles are test fired by the manufacturer, it would be best, in my honest opinion, to go to a proper range and shoot your rifle from the bench. If you don't have a specialized rest to stabilize & support the rifle, dont worry, sand bags, usually provided at ranges work perfect. Set up at the 50 yard line, use proper sight picture & alignment then slow fire 3 rounds using the center of the bull asyour aiming point. Remember, take a breath, release half of it then hold your breath, slowly squeeze the trigger. Repeat this between each shot to maintain accuracy. After checking your target, adjust windage & elevation to move the bullet impact to the center. I assume your ar has 1/2 moa windage & elevation adjustments, but you need to verify this. Once you have zeroed your rifle at 50 yards you can then go to the 100 yard line. At this point your windage should be set to the way you shoot & you'll just need to crank up your elevation slightly to get back to the center. As I mentioned, 5.56 is a flat shooting round so a 100 yard zero will handle the majority of shooting your mid length carbine. If you plan on shooting beyond 100 yards it's easy to make adjustments with a 100 yard zero. Good luck.

OK Adrian, good for you and thanks for the input. Not only was I a PMI, but I taught at PMI school and this is a method we used all the time. Same when i shot NRA high powered. Same when I worked at DM school with scoped m14s. And I coach a NCAA mens and womens college rifle team and,, we use that method, too.

AdrianC1982
03-28-13, 09:21 AM
"Good for you" on your accompishments as well Wookie. My input was not directed at you though, it was for the original poster. Considering your history, I'm surprised to hear that you set your zero shooting at the berm. Is this the new recommended method for NRA & CMP highpower? This is the first time I've heard of it, and I certainly never acheived my zero using this method.

thewookie
03-28-13, 09:28 AM
"Good for you" on your accompishments as well Wookie. My input was not directed at you though, it was for the original poster. Considering your history, I'm surprised to hear that you set your zero shooting at the berm. Is this the new recommended method for NRA & CMP highpower? This is the first time I've heard of it, and I certainly never acheived my zero using this method.

It seemed like it was directed towards me when you specifically called out the method I introduced. I know it is not by the book. It's just a quick and easy way to get the job done. No worries, I know there are other methods. I spent four years, day after day, not TAD but range staff on various ranges - and, you find ways to get it done - faster, and more efficiently.

Semper Fi, Adrian - I see last time you posted was in 08 - I hope I don't cause you to wait so long to post again.

Thanks for your service.

AdrianC1982
03-28-13, 10:06 AM
No problemo brother, I apologize if it seems like I'm a p***k to you, but I am! I forgot about this site because I have yet to find anyone I served with here. Perhaps I'll give it a shot again & see who turns up. Semper Fi, and thanks for your service also Wookie.

thewookie
03-28-13, 10:53 AM
No problemo brother, I apologize if it seems like I'm a prick to you, but I am! I forgot about this site because I have yet to find anyone I served with here. Perhaps I'll give it a shot again & see who turns up. Semper Fi, and thanks for your service also Wookie.

:) I think if you put two Marines in the same room talking marksmanship (or maybe any subject) you're going to get disagreements, it's because we are passionate about what we do. No worries, your method is correct, and might be better to explain/understand than mine. But like I said when you are out there day after day and you can't run back and forth from the 200 or 100 to the 36 - you find other methods. Stick around, Marine. We need Veterans like you helping out.

Rocky C
03-28-13, 03:43 PM
All of a sudden things here got all Warm and Fuzzy, HA!!!

Carry On ...

SGT7477
03-28-13, 08:23 PM
All of a sudden things here got all Warm and Fuzzy, HA!!!

Carry On ...
Just a Marine thing,lol, Semper Fidelis.