PDA

View Full Version : Current first-term drilling reservist. Questions about reenlisting & lat-move

SDL
03-24-13, 11:01 PM
I'm currently a drilling reservist at a reserve unit here in Virginia Beach, VA. I initially came into the Marine Corps on 20 July 2005, so my 8th year in the Marine Corps is up this coming July. I'm currently a 1341 -- Heavy Equipment Mechanic and am looking for more MOS training opportunities than what my current unit is able to offer. I would like to stay in the Marine Corps and am now trying not only to reenlist, but also do a lat-move at the same time.

The following the the MOS I have in mind that I'd like to lat-move to:

6172 --Helicopter Crew Chief, CH-46
6173 --Helicopter Crew Chief, CH-53
6174 --Helicopter Crew Chief, UH-1
6176 --Tiltrotor Crew Chief, MV-22
6199 --Aircrew/Aerial Observer/Gunner
6276 --Fixed-Wing Crew Chief, KC-130
3432 --Finance Technician
2736 --Chinese (Cant) Linguist
2739 --Japanese Linguist
2741 --Korean Linguist
2671 --Middle East Cryptologic Linguist
2673 --Asia-Pacific Cryptologic Linguist
2674 --European I (West) Cryptologic Linguist
2676 --European II (East) Cryptologic Linguist
1812 --M1A1 Tank Crewman
1833 --AAV Crewmember
1834 --EFV Crewman
0121 --Personnel Clerk
0151 --Administrative Clerk
0161 --Postal Clerk
0171 --Manpower Information Systems

I'm trying to find out which/if any of the above MOS in the Marine Corps reserves have the available boat space right now to accept a lat-mover of my rank. I also need to find out which reserve unit has which of the above MOS vacancies available, as I am limited only to the East Coast.

I understand that many unit that's showing in the reserve unit directory as "CURRENTLY ACTIVE" has actually already or in the process of shutting down, so I'm also trying to determine which reserve units are still in operation.

I've tried talking to our unit Career Planner regarding these questions. He just told me to contact Marine Corps Mobilization Command. I called MOBCOM and was told that my unit CRS was suppose to know that. Basically I've been getting the runaround. So I'm hoping somebody here can shed some light for me and advise what I should do and who I should contact.

As always, any input or suggestion is much appreciated.

:usmc:Semper Fi