PDA

View Full Version : SMCR IMA option questions

GrWyler
03-18-13, 11:50 PM
Good evening ladies and gentlemen,

First let me apologize for posting such a general question, but I've been unable to find related threads.

I recently completed an active duty 4 year enlistment as an 0311. During my time I was never sent to Afghanistan; I wasn't a broke-dick or a deployment dodger my unit just got the crap end and did a few meu's. I had the option to extend my contract at the end to go to Afghanistan but ended up deciding not to. Now that I am out I am increasingly regretting that decisions, and reflecting on my time in. I am very disappointed that I did not serve in the Middle East considering that was the reason I joined the Marines and the Infantry specifically. The obvious solution to my problem is to reenlist, go back in to the infantry, and opt to go to Afghanistan; but to be honest I've done 4 years in the infantry and i am, to say the least, burnt out on the lifestyle. Not to mention that I have a wife, kids, a house, and a decent job where I am at; and uprooting all of that at this point is not an option. So I recently began looking up reserve options on the internet, but couldn't make sense of most of what I was reading. So I called the reserve recruiter number that they gave me in TAPS, and he was very unwilling or unable to answer my question; I suppose in-part due to the fact that I do not have any specific questions, rather I just need general information about the options available.

With all of that said here is what I would like: (realistic or not)

To go to Afghanistan (don't really care what job, but would prefer combat arms or related MOS) for between 3 months and a year, come home, and be free of any obligation or military affiliation.

Now I do realize how that sounds, and that this whole thread might depict me as a bad Marine. However during my time in I was a very motivated and dedicated Marine and always put the MC first. I just feel at this point that I've already gained everything that I sought from the Marines except for a deployment to Afghanistan/Iraq.

I am not saying that I expect to find exactly what I stated above, just as close to that as realistically possible.

Any help or general advice would be very much welcome and appreciated, thanks.

GrWyler
03-18-13, 11:58 PM
sorry i didnt mean this whole "thread" I meant this whole "post"

Blutic
03-22-13, 10:45 PM
There are a few things you can do. First, contact the prior service recruiter at the closest reserve training center. You can join the SMCR or find and IMA billet. The difference is that SMCR Marines must attend drill on a set schedule where IMA billets are more flexible. Either way you don't incur an obligation like an enlistment so you can quit at any time. You can also go on this website and find a deployment based on your mos and rank (usually they will go one up or down for rank). Just fill out an RQS (find the form on the website) and email it in. http://www.marforres.marines.mil/GeneralSpecialStaff/G1/GlobalBillets.aspx