PDA

View Full Version : How Amphibious is the current Marine Corps?

TreyAR
02-21-13, 09:04 PM
I am a 16 year old 'wannabe' who has always been interested in the US Army & Marine Corps Infantry. I've narrowed down my soon decision to the Marine Corps, and I was just curious as to-- How often (in garrison) do Marines perform amphibious training and "off-land?" training?

I am not CRAZY on the amphibious portion of being a Marine, enough though it is a very 'cool' and interesting asset. This will not deter me. I have always imagined my life as a Servicemember. I believe my dis-taste for living on the coast derives from living in the middle of Iowa. Surrounded by corn.

Just wondering if that is something I should just start dealing with; just my curiosity, not a huge deal. Hope I haven't sounded too stupid. Thank you all for your service, and your time.

gkmoz
02-21-13, 09:24 PM
Though brief, duty aboard ship was some of the best !.
I even was allowed to come off a ship with an amtrac full of "grunts" what an experience !! I would say start to deal with it ? the Army to me is just ordinary IMHO.

TreyAR
02-21-13, 09:33 PM
Though brief, duty aboard ship was some of the best !.
I even was allowed to come off a ship with an amtrac full of "grunts" what an experience !! I would say start to deal with it ? the Army to me is just ordinary IMHO.
Thank you gkmoz! Did you spend most time 'in the field' or back on
base with.. other 'duties'?

josephd
02-21-13, 11:58 PM
With the Corps drawing down in Afghanistan and going back to its maritime/naval roots we will definitely be more amphibious than we have been in the last decade or more. If you are not used to or are not comfortable around water I would definitely suggest start getting in the pool, especially if you want to be grunt.

gkmoz
02-22-13, 08:31 AM
Thank you gkmoz! Did you spend most time 'in the field' or back on
base with.. other 'duties'?

Mostly on Base, and periodic maneuvers (operations) spent 19 months at Camp Del Mar Ca. doing regular duty(various) I personally am not enthusiastic about swimming or being in the water, but your training should be sufficient. Go for it !