PDA

View Full Version : Hate the Reserves, need help

Surf121
02-21-13, 02:11 PM
I may get some comments to stop *****ing and whining, but please listen.

I was basically "forced" to sign a reserve contract by my recruiter. I was dumb and still a civilian and new nothing about the Marines. I needed a waiver to get in and he said my only option was to go reserve because of my waiver (I believed him). I was just very motivated and wanted to be a marine. I believed all thag crap he fed me about being able to switch to active ASAP, request deployments, etc. None of that is true.

It is impossible to switch to active, reserves are not deploying, and I have no career choices basically as a reservist. I dreamed of experiencing the "real" Marine Corps and want to be AD more than anything.

Right now, the fastest way to go active it seems for me is OCS, but I still have 3 1/2 years of college to go. I am basically stuck as a reservist and hate it. I wish I could rewind tome and tell my recruiter to stop bull****ting me.

Why I hate the reserves you ask?
1- The leadership is horrible, my NCOs and officers are all out of shape, clueless when it comes to actually doing there jobs, and basically have no experiences as the last time my unit deployed was 2004, so most of them are just as boot as me.

2- I am a PFC and know my job better as an artilleryman better than majority of the unmotivated, nasty "Marines" in my unit. They are all so content with civilian life and being a reservist, its disgusting.

3- We ran pft/cft last drill, I scored 300 on both while running the 3 miles, majority of the Marines
finished at 23+.

I can ***** all day about this. My questions are, how can I go AD, or any options I have. As of now I feel I made the worst decision of my life joining the reserves and feel as I am not a Marine, but yet a part time Marine. I am even considering mid-service transfer to try and
get into the SEALs. I run perfect fitness scores and am a squared away Marine. Somebody help me please.

josephd
02-21-13, 04:05 PM
I hate to say it but you really have no options, especially as a PFC and boot Lance. Once you're an NCO your options open up a bit more.

I know it sucks but trust me when I tell you it is no different on the active duty side. Keep yourself in shape and keep it at for a few years once you know how things run step in and make it better for not only you but some of your peers and new guys.

JimEnglish
02-21-13, 09:59 PM
It's a long shot, but you might try getting into Anapolis (U. S. Naval Academy). When I was in, one of my OIC's wanted to send me to NAPS, the Navel Academy Prepratory School. I don't know if it still exists or if it's open to reservists. It was a program where you would attend a Marine Corps run prep school for several months and then transfer to the USNA. I didn't go for it because it's a 9+ year commitment, assuming that you graduate.
Or, if you've got connections, you could get your congressperson to nominate you.
Like I said, it's a longshot.

hump_drop
02-23-13, 11:38 AM
Short answer - you're a ****ing dumbass for backing out of the active 03xx contract. Your recruiter decided he didn't want to waste his time on a proven quitter, and gave you something less than you...