PDA

View Full Version : A Couple of questions

WarHog787
02-18-13, 07:54 PM
Good Morning,
I actually had a couple of questions about the drill field. I'm getting pretty close to picking up SGT and I was looking into my options in a B-billet as a Drill Instructor. I was wondering how is the training? Is there going to be a problem with tattoos on the forearms? I was on BCP once will that affect me in anyway? I also wondered if I'm put on BCP again for a second time will that DQ me for re-enlistment in 2015?

Thank you for your time.

WarHog787
02-18-13, 08:01 PM
Also if I'm put on BCP again will that affect me to become a Drill Instructor?

Tennessee Top
02-19-13, 03:21 PM
Was never on the drill field but did do a couple tours on the MSG program which is a "B" billet like DI and recruiting. Normally for a "B" billet, there is a checklist you and your command must complete to ensure you meet all the qualifications. Your career planner (or whatever they'er called today) will have a copy of the checklist. You'll need to talk to them about reenlistment anyway. Don't know what BCP is but as long as you meet the qualifications on the checklist you should be good-to-go.

Besides the checklist of qualifications, your MOS also comes into play. Basically, your primary MOS monitor is going to lose you for the time you're on the drill field (you're on-loan to the special assignments monitor for the time). Your primary MOS monitor must sign-off on you being out of the field. If your MOS is short, or if there is another reason why they don't want to lose you (maybe they need you to go to OKI for a tour first as example), they will not release you to the special assignments monitor. I have known Marines who were qualified for and applied for "B" billets but never got one because they could never get released from their MOS long enough to do it.

Short answer; you need to go talk to your career planner.

SGT7477
02-19-13, 08:12 PM
Contact Old Marine he was on the drill field for 7 years I believe, Semper Fidelis.

WarHog787
02-20-13, 05:24 PM
How do I contact Old Marine? Also if on BCP twice will I be able to re-enlist again my EAS is 2015

Rocky C
02-20-13, 06:20 PM
Old Marine aka Willie.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?15312-Old-Marine

josephd
02-20-13, 07:54 PM
you were on BCP, risk being on it again, and you want to be a drill instructor?.....hahahahaha

Old Marine
02-20-13, 08:28 PM
Explain BCP??? I went through D.I. School in SD in 1966. I am sure that many things in the school and on the Drill Field have changed since that time. At the school we had a whole lot of P.T., Technique of Military Instruction, and lots of learning drill commands and what foot to give the command on. Also manual of arms during drill. Classes on how to keep your uniforms squared away. It was very much like going through Recruit Training again except you had liberty, if you wanted to use it.

After you graduate from school you are assigned to one of the Recruit Battalions and then assigned to a Company, where you are assigned to a Recruit Platoon and then you Bird Dog that platoon until the Platoon Commander and Series GySgt. think you can do the job. You usually have to have a couple platoons under your belt before you can become a Platoon Commander. If you are a slow learner you may have wait until you can prove yourself to the Series GySgt.

You will have duty with the Recruits every third night, and at the rifle range depending on the Platoon Commanders wishes, you may be required to stay there each and every night during qual week.

I do not know if D.I.'s still get Pro Pay. Promotions used to be real good on the drill field if you kept your nose clean. If you are married with lots of bills, forget it. This duty was the best duty I had while on active duty, but you have to make it what you want. As you know Drill Instructors are a strange breed. Any more questions you may have, you can P.M. me.

josephd
02-20-13, 09:35 PM
Explain BCP???

BCP=Body Composition Program

It basically means you are overweight and didn't make tape(measurement standards of the neck, chest, waist, or whatever else they measure).

AKA. you're a fat body and need to lay off the pizza and beer.

I don't care if you run a 300 PFT and 300 CFT, if you can't look the part of a DI you have no business being one.

Old Marine
02-21-13, 08:23 AM
BCP=Body Composition Program

It basically means you are overweight and didn't make tape(measurement standards of the neck, chest, waist, or whatever else they measure).

AKA. you're a fat body and need to lay off the pizza and beer.

I don't care if you run a 300 PFT and 300 CFT, if you can't look the part of a DI you have no business being one.

Yep, if the OP wants to go to D.I. School, he of course fit the profile appearance wise.

chulaivet1966
02-21-13, 04:04 PM
IMO....

I'm with josephd and Old Marine.
D.I.'s are to set the best example in all aspects and should look like they preach and should outdo all recruits during training.

My analogy...if an obese person was pontificating on the benefits of good nutrition they certainly wouldn't have my ears.:)

Carry on....

Andrew19
05-30-13, 02:14 PM
What will my marine wear home from basic training after graduation?