PDA

View Full Version : Pilot's license

Evan11
02-14-13, 11:43 PM
Has anyone tried, or successfully accomplished getting a pilot's license (of any degree) during their active enlistment?

josephd
02-15-13, 12:08 PM
I doubt it'd be possible with all the classes and then flight hours you would need to log in order to complete it.

thewookie
02-15-13, 01:50 PM
I knew a guy when i was in that was working on it. If you go to the right duty station and have the right job it's possible to work it in. The classes in the beginning/ground school is what it is, but flight time can be done at your leisure. I've looked into it myself but can't seem to put my money where my mouth is and sign up. I think the new GI Bill will pay for ground school. Good luck, it's an item on my bucket list.

fl1946
02-15-13, 02:37 PM
Don't know if there are any flying clubs on base today, but if you have one that's the best place to work at your license. Reason I suggest flying club, it's God awful expensive to get your license, (approx $6K to $10K on the outside). Flying club at least offsets some of the operating cost of the aircraft. The motto today, if you want to fly, bring LOTSA MONEY. And to think, in '65 it was only $4K. Good luck.

Tennessee Top
02-15-13, 04:02 PM
I remember hearing about flying, skydiving, scuba diving clubs, etc. on the various bases I served at. Never looked into it myself so can't say what they offer but it may be an option available to you. With the on-line resources available today, you should be able to search and obtain more information. Should fall under the category of base special services or morale, recreation, and welfare (MWR) activities.

Rocky C
02-15-13, 04:48 PM
I honestly don't know where you would find the time or money in order to do so.

Best of luck.

Evan11
02-15-13, 08:13 PM
I don't know if flying is something I'd ever really pursue, simply because it IS so expense and time consuming, it's just fun to think about sometimes.

Rocky C
02-17-13, 09:49 AM
So why the thread and the question ?

I don't understand why you posted this in the " Ask a Marine " Forum if you think it's just fun to think about sometimes...

Evan11
02-17-13, 02:10 PM
Is there a more appropriate section of the forum to post my question in? I wanted information FROM MARINES with experience and first hand knowledge regarding the subject, but maybe I am mistaken for believing that was the purpose of the "Ask a Marine" section. It's by no means a priority, but if I had an opportunity to reasonably pursue a pilot's license in the Corps I'd like to believe I'd take it. As it stands that moment is not in my near future. So for now, its just a lot of speculation and "fun" day dreaming. If "Ask a Marine" is not the proper channel for gaining perspective and information about being a Marine then I guess I missed the point of this particular forum, and apologize for wasting everyone's time.

Tennessee Top
02-17-13, 02:29 PM
You can ask us anything you want to; doesn't mean you'll always get an answer. Sometimes we have an answer and sometimes we don't but most of the time we'll tell you how we feel. Many times, people don't like the answers they get but that's life in the big city. There is a right way and wrong way to ask a question but you did OK. Marines don't have time for lazy people so we prefer they show some initiative and do some research on the subject before posting here; there are times when the answers to their questions are discovered elsewhere.

Rocky C
02-18-13, 06:03 PM
If "Ask a Marine" is not the proper channel for gaining perspective and information about being a Marine then I guess I missed the point of this particular forum, and apologize for wasting everyone's time..

Well said Top :thumbup:

Yes, " Ask a Marine " is the proper forum section for gaining perspective and information about being a Marine. It is not for Fun or day dreaming.

Attitudes from " Marine Friends " are not accepted here also.
Read the " Sticky " on it...

This thread is closed.