PDA

View Full Version : Prior Service Army Going Marines, can it be true?

proudwife2006
02-09-13, 04:09 PM
Hello,
I am a very proud wife of an army national guard soldier (prev AD), I joined this forum to get answers to questions I am having about my husband joining the Marine Corps. I would like to say that I am supportive of my husband but I am not one that only has eyes for the benefits of the military (I work full time as an underwriter and love my job, pay and benefits).

Background info: husband was a 12b combat engineer AD army for 4 years, he graduated basic an e3, made e5 sgt 2 years 1 month in. He served 2 tours, 13 months in iraq and 11 in afghanistan, he also graduated from sapper school. We got out of the Army with heavy hearts, he was looking at his 3rd deployment, and his ETS date was drawing near and at the time we found out we were pregnant. It was an extremely difficult decision especially for my hubby, he loved to serve. So now a year after being back at a civilian job he is ready to join again and I fully support him. Our family thinks we are crazy but not all of them understand the pride of being a military spouse or serving on active duty. We have great lives now, a beautiful home, a son, good jobs and we are in our home town close to family so in theory we should be completely content... but we are both missing the military lifestyle and comradery, and my husband deeply regrets getting out (even though he will say he doesnt because he was home to see our son born when otherwise he would have been in afghanistan).

He has always appreciated the Marines and has told me great stories about some he served with on deployments. We have seen a recruiter who said they will take my husband (once he receives the paperwork from his nat. guard chain of command) as an e2. He also will be attending boot camp and training. I am in disbelief that they are accepting prior service as I know its extremely difficult to get back in to any branch. Can this be true? The recruiter looked at his scores and said he would be able to pick any job category....he of course wants to be a combat engineer again (hopefully this is what he will get) but is ok with another MOS as long as he can be a Marine.

The reason I ask is because recruiters have a reputation of blowing smoke, and making everything peaches and cream.

Sorry this is long just wanted to put more info out there than less

proudwife2006
02-09-13, 04:19 PM
Also wanted to add that his chain of command is supportive of his decision and his colonel is going to push the paperwork

ChuckH
02-09-13, 04:27 PM
Thread Closed.
Please completely fill out your profile before posting.
Contact any Admin or Squad Leader to reopen thread when profile is completed.
Site Rules.

Rocky C
02-09-13, 04:37 PM
You are NOT a " Marine Spouse " but you registered as one. Not good !!!
Profile changed to " Marine Friend ".

Once your husband " Earns the Title " send me a PM and I will changed it back for you.

Best of luck to you both.

ChuckH
02-09-13, 05:09 PM
Thread reopen.
Profile filled out. Thank you

Rocky C
02-09-13, 05:15 PM
Thank you for the nice PM Cynthia.
No problem, mistakes happen.

Welcome to the Forum.

proudwife2006
02-09-13, 07:46 PM
Thank you for helping me get everything straight with my profile etc..

Anyone have any advice or words of encouragement? I'm just wondering if this could be legitimate....seeing as it is so hard to get back in on AD with the other branches it just seemed too easy. They just need his dd 368 and he can pick his MOS category, which coast for duty station and ship out the next month.

proudwife2006
02-09-13, 08:28 PM
Thank you! I looked and it sounds like it is legitimate, we are meeting with the recruiter again this week and hopefully will be able to say we are a Marine family in a few months!

Tennessee Top
02-13-13, 03:45 PM
Good luck to you both. Am interested to hear how it all turns out; please keep us updated.

I too have read on here how the USMC is not taking prior service personnel (not even former Marines). Your husband will be a good test case to see how true this really is.

SGT7477
02-16-13, 08:09 PM
Good Luck, Marines lead the way, OOHRAH,Semper Fidelis.