PDA

View Full Version : Are you older than dirt?

Pages : [1] 2

HST
02-02-13, 02:24 PM
I remember just about all of these things. These were the best of times. <br />
<br />
THOUGHT YOU MIGHT ENJOY THIS <br />
<br />
'Someone asked the other day, 'What was your favorite fast food when you were...

Mongoose
02-02-13, 03:34 PM
I remember going over to my step-fathers friends house every Saturday night to watch the first t.v. show produced in color......Bonanza. I remember the big Pea-cock with his feathers spread out. Each one a different color, at the beginning of the show. I was 12 years old then.

David R 1968
02-02-13, 07:02 PM
I remember all of it, Mongoose you were lucky all the stuff i saw was in black & white.

hbharrison
02-02-13, 07:16 PM
Yoh Tony how old are ya when you can remember all of them???

Old Marine
02-02-13, 07:22 PM
I remember all those things plus listening to Captain Midnight and with my secret decoder ring, and The Green Hornet along with Intersanctum (The squeaky door), along with going downtown and watching TV from the sidewalk when the Dept. Stores put them in the big window. Could not hear the sound, but it was fun watching the picture. Thing sure have changed since then.

Those were really some great days.

HST
02-03-13, 06:55 AM
Well I'm 65 and I remember most of them the only 2 that wern't widely used when I was a kid were the wash tub wringer but we had a wringer on our electric washer and the real ice box but there were a lot of them big wooden things around being used for other things. I remember when my dad bought the first TV, it was huge but the screen was the size of a basketball, all of the neighbors would come over to drink beer and watch the Wednesday night fights.

Bruce59
02-03-13, 07:07 AM
Remember? hell i've forgotten stuff older then whats on that list.

silverdollar
02-03-13, 07:54 AM
I remember them all, plus car starters on the floor just above the accelerator,
Sgt. King of the Yukon and lots more.

Rocky C
02-03-13, 08:09 AM
Great thread.

I remember most of them. I am older than dirt I guess :) but I wouldn't want it any other way. The memories...

Lenny
02-03-13, 11:00 AM
oh god im old.....first tv set black and white with rabbit ears....if you were lucky you picked up 3 channels

Mongoose
02-03-13, 02:42 PM
I remember when I was 11 years old, the first transister radios came out. Thought it was really high teck.

Old Marine
02-03-13, 02:48 PM
oh god im old.....first tv set black and white with rabbit ears....if you were lucky you picked up 3 channels

If you would have put tinfoil on the ears you could of got 4 channels.

SGT7477
02-03-13, 07:22 PM
If todays kids went what we went through they couldn't make it, taking baths in wash tubs with everyone using the same water, HST you hit the nail on the head, Semper Fidelis.

Tennessee Top
02-04-13, 12:37 AM
The first TV remote control we had had 6 buttons on it: on, off, volume high, volume low, channel high, and channel low. Was about the size of a pack of cigarettes. We thought it was a big deal when we got a TV with both VHF and UHF reception. This required two separate antennas; the rabbit ears and a round antenna on the back of the set. Normally, one local channel would come in pretty clear but all the others were snowy or had double images. My dad was a big westerns fan so we always watched "Bonanza", "Wagon Train", "The Rifleman", "Have Gun Will Travel", "Gunsmoke", etc.. When he was not home then we'd watch other popilar shows like "Andy Griffith Show", "Bewitched", "My Three Sons", "I Love Lucy", "Dick Van Dyke Show", "Leave It To Beaver", "Hee Haw" "Gilligan's Island", "The Munsters", "Gomer Pyle", "Lassie", "Mickey Mouse Club", etc.. Those were the original TV shows; the garbage on today is just spinoffs.

Mongoose
02-04-13, 05:46 AM
Alright brothers, I know you remember the cap guns. You had to put a roll of caps in your gun or you could roll 'em out on something and hit 'em with a rock or something to get a bang. Remember Brylcream?

Rocky C
02-04-13, 07:11 AM
That was good Billy. Brylcream, " A little dab will do ya ".

Remember Prell Shampoo ?

McT ontheRock71
02-04-13, 07:51 AM
Well Marines, I know that I'm older than dirt. I remember when they first started to manufacture it. Every one has loved Betty White for a long time. I remember her first TV series &quot;Life with...

SGT7477
02-04-13, 08:29 AM
How about butch wax,lol,Semper Fidelis.

ameriken
02-04-13, 08:52 AM
Alright brothers, I know you remember the cap guns. You had to put a roll of caps in your gun or you could roll 'em out on something and hit 'em with a rock or something to get a bang. Remember Brylcream?

I'll never forget Brylcream, when I was about 5 or 6, my dad left a tube out on the bathroom counter once and I used it thinking it was toothpaste.

oldtop
02-04-13, 09:12 AM
yep, older than dirt, I remember each and every one of those things, and like Tony, the only ones we didn't have were the "ice box" and the wash tub wringer, but we did have a wringer on the washing machine, after we got one. Before my stepdad boutht the washer, Mom used a washboard in the big zinc double sink in the garage to wash our clothes. How about window and / or attic fans, nobody had AC in their house, or car. And nobody thought twice about it when a 11 year old went to the local hardware store and bought a couple of boxes of .22 shorts (.25 a box), then rode his bicycle to the edge of the woods with a .22 rifle on the handlebars and spent the afternoon plinking at empty beer cans or bottles, or even managed to pop a rabbit or two for dinner....throw in catching "fireflys" and putting them in a jar with holes in the top, and running behind the "mosquito spray truck" breathing in all of that DDT that today "will cause cancer if it touches your skin"... yep, the best times of our lives, and today's kids will never eve be able to comprehend it, mutch less experience it.....

Mongoose
02-04-13, 05:34 PM
Yea, we used to ride our bikes behind those trucks spraying DDT. I never heard of anyone dying from it. Also, in my younger days, you got your ass paddled hard as hell in school for screwing up. And they didn't have to get permission either. Usually got it wore out again when you got home.

McT ontheRock71
02-05-13, 07:53 AM
How many of you remember strike anywhere matches? We always had a box next to the stove to ignite the burners or the oven. I last purchased a box of these in Charleston SC about 20 years ago. Can't find them anywhere now. How many remember when book matches had the strip of flint on the open side of the book? Manufacturers moved it to the back side to prevent an errant spark from setting the remainder of the matches left in the book afire.

montana
02-05-13, 09:37 AM
Crank telephones and it diled the operator and you asked her to conect you to whom ever...hirlls wernt aloud to wear anything but dresses to school...and they had to be below the knees....most the ranch work was done with horses...only a few in the vally had thrashing machines so they went from farm to farm...all the neibors worked togeather to get the crops in....

montana
02-05-13, 09:40 AM
ment girls...hasnt been a hirle around here in years

redman1
02-05-13, 01:13 PM
HST good thread,
I remember all these.
Thanks for reminding us of the good old times.
Semper Fi Buddy

sempidr
02-05-13, 03:05 PM
Amazed how many of these are great memories. Anyone ever smoke the grapevine?
I remember that start button above and to the right of the gas pedal, and running a dollar bill through the points, so it wouldn't shake you to crazy. The '59 Volkswagen and waving to other Volkswagens because "we were special".
Was always mad at my Dad for making me go to Wednesday night Pray meeting at the Baptist Church. The Shadow came on the radio at 7:30PM, and Prayer Meeting started at 8:00, and I missed the last ten minutes, every Wednesday night. I was always stuck to the radio, to the very last second I could manage, short of being in big trouble (most times) for making my parents late.
White Levi's with the cuff turn inside and newspaper linings, to keep them perfectly round.

Drive it like you stole it.

Sempi

sempidr
02-05-13, 03:35 PM
I remember being 9 or 10, when my Dad put me in his lap, while driving, and teaching me how to steer. I thought I was such a big sh!t. Steering the car, (a 1949 Hudson), down country roads, and...

redman1
02-05-13, 03:54 PM
Every once in awhile there's a good thread started that I like and this is one of them. Thanks for the memories.
Riding in the back window.
Semper Fi Buddy

Old Marine
02-05-13, 05:01 PM
Growing up in Fresno, Ca. and cutting a whole lot of grapes, I have smoked many a grape vine. Much better than picking up snipes that were laying around.

Riding in the rumble seat of the Model "A" was a lot of fun. Cranking the Model "A" was not a whole lot of fun.

Loved listening to Lamont Cranston (The Shadow) on the radio.

Dad used to get pizzed when I put playing cards on my bike spokes to make it sound like it had a motor. Loosened the spokes and put the wheel out of line.

Rocky C
02-05-13, 05:08 PM
Dad used to get pizzed when I put playing cards on my bike spokes to make it sound like it had a motor. Loosened the spokes and put the wheel out of line.

And Mom used to get mad for ruining her clothes pins doing it.

Those were some the best days of my life...

Great Thread !!!

I am going to make this one a sticky so it never goes away.

Semper Fi,
Rocky

ameriken
02-05-13, 05:58 PM
I grew up in NYC during the 60's and 70's, and two very popular and common things there are riding the subway and pizza.

One of the strangest phenomena I noticed as a kid back in the 60's was that a slice of pizza was always the same price as a subway or bus token. When a slice was a twenty cents, so was the subway. When pizza was a quarter, so was the token. Then the two were 35 cents, then 50 cents.

I don't know how it is today, but back in the 60's and 70's the two strangely were always the same price.

sempidr
02-05-13, 06:04 PM
Old Marine,
I grew up in Los Banos, and I am surprised at how many folks our age, didn't know you could smokem. My dad was a John Deere/Cat mechanic (poor), but I was able to afford long balloons, for making those spokes get out of line, but what fun, making noise. That old Schwinn was the best. Flipped the handle bar
for a while (probably the real start of my back problems).

Rocky,
Those old wood clothes pins weren't worth a damn for this task.

Just saying, but I was pretty good with a Duncan back in the late 50's.

Semper Fi
This is fun. I can't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday, but you guys are bringing up some fun "old" memories. Twas' a simpler time.

Rocky C
02-05-13, 06:24 PM
Hahahaha !!!

Rocky C
02-05-13, 06:35 PM
I grew up in NYC during the 60's and 70's, and two very popular and common things there are riding the subway and pizza.

One of the strangest phenomena I noticed as a kid back in the 60's was that a slice of pizza was always the same price as a subway or bus token. When a slice was a twenty cents, so was the subway. When pizza was a quarter, so was the token. Then the two were 35 cents, then 50 cents.

I don't know how it is today, but back in the 60's and 70's the two strangely were always the same price.

That is sooo wierd Ken that you said that :scared:

A single fare one way is $2.50 and a slice of pizza now in the city is average $2.50.

Wow, that's freaking me out. I gotta find out why that is !!!

ameriken
02-05-13, 08:18 PM
That is sooo wierd Ken that you said that :scared:

A single fare one way is $2.50 and a slice of pizza now in the city is average $2.50.

Wow, that's freaking me out. I gotta find out why that is !!!

Yup, really strange, isn't it?

Mongoose
02-06-13, 05:35 AM
I remember my sister getting her tonciles taken out in 55. You could smell ether on her breath for a week after that.

McT ontheRock71
02-06-13, 07:42 AM
Does anyone remember the original "You Asked For It" TV show? It was hosted by Art Baker at first and then Jack Linkletter took over in the early 60's. People woud write in to the program and ask to see a specific thing. The program would send a camara crew out to where ever that thing was located, film it and put it on the show. I remember seeing segments of the water sking show at Cyprus Gardens, Florida for the first time on the program.

HST
02-06-13, 08:28 AM
Gas for 18 Cents a gallon. Free glasses or silverware with a fill up that included checking all of the fluids, tires and cleaning all of the windows.The Ford 232 flathead V-8. Plymouth flathead 6. I met my wife to be when I was home on leave driving a 50 ply 4 door that I bought from pevnicks junkyard for 25 bucks and the best going to the park and sleeping on blankets on the hot summer nights.

oldtop
02-06-13, 09:16 AM
listening to Amos & Andy, followed by "The Creaking Door" or "The Jack Benny Show" on the radio on Sunday Nights. Picking up a loaf of Italian Bread at the bakery, right out of the oven, we usually had to get two, because one of them was GONE by the time we got home!!!!

Old Marine
02-06-13, 10:56 AM
I don't think Fibber McGee and Molly ever did get their closet cleaned out.:D

McT ontheRock71
02-06-13, 11:55 AM
That's funny Willie, I thought that their closet was cleaned each time the door was opened and all the junk came tumbling out.

sempidr
02-06-13, 12:16 PM
Anybody remember the "Mare's Leg?"
Black and white western. Didn't last too long.

S

Old Marine
02-06-13, 03:01 PM
That's funny Willie, I thought that their closet was cleaned each time the door was opened and all the junk came tumbling out.

Could be, but everytime they opened the door the same junk always seemed to come tumbling out.

Mongoose
02-06-13, 04:18 PM
Here's a shock for teen-agers today.........when I was in the 10th grade.....which is as far as I went....you could fillup a 20 gallon gas tank on your car, buy a carton of cigeretts, a case of beer, and still have enough money left to go to the drive Inn, with a 10 dollar bill.

redman1
02-06-13, 04:36 PM
Mongoose, I finally found sombody that droped out of school when I did in the tenth grade, got married and joined the Corps three months later. Remembering those good ole days is really good. That's what I talk about on Cowboy Up, about my younger days plowing with horses, tractors and all my criters I have now. I used to be a owner operator and my second son was bout five and he rode in my lap and said: Can't wait to tell everyone how easy this is). I too was driving on dirt roads when I could hardly see over the wheel. Back then we drove tractors everywhere or rode horses. Again GREAT Thread
Semper Fi Buddy

sempidr
02-06-13, 05:07 PM
So, the "Mare's Leg" was the sawed-off Winchester that Steve McQueen used in 'Wanted: Dead or Alive.
Didn't notice it as a kid, but realized later, the Winchester was a .44-40, but McQueen had dummy .45-70 rounds in his ammo belt. Looked bad-azz.

redman1,
So how old was your wife, when you married??

My dad taught me to drive a D-4 when I was about 11. I remember clearing some land for him, and got too close to the metal siding on one of his storage buildings, and ripped a panel off. I learned how to install metal siding the next day, and got real good with the blade, real soon.

S-

Rocky C
02-06-13, 05:50 PM
Only a thought, Rocky, maybe this could go in Open Squad Bay, a lot more folks go there than here in the Slop Chute.

I like it where it is Dave. Where Marines and Docs can think and share about " Back in the day " without everybody and his cousin chiming in but it's up to Tony. It's his thread.

Semper Fi,
Rocky

Old Marine
02-06-13, 07:11 PM
Speaking of smoking grape vines. You have not lived until you take a straw and fill it with coffee then smoke it. Actually tastes like "C" Ration Camels, only the coffee was stronger due to not being decafinated.

doc h fmf
02-06-13, 08:52 PM
I REMEMBERED 11 of those Items when I was growing up I am going to be 50 this year that isnt old is it?

Semper Fi My Brothers and sisters

Stephen Doc Hansen HM3 FMF

sempidr
02-06-13, 09:45 PM
Speaking of smoking grape vines. You have not lived until you take a straw and fill it with coffee then smoke it. Actually tastes like "C" Ration Camels, only the coffee was stronger due to not being decaffeinated.
NO WAY! Never heard of that. Doesn't sound too tasty.

Making trips as a kid from California to Oklahoma, I saw a lot of Route 66. Remember the old Burma Shave signs. 6 or 7 signs, quarter mile apart, with a message or poem. They aren't there any more. Now that I think about it, does Burma Shave still exist???
In the early '50s, Lucky Strike cigarette packs had three brand new shiny pennies under the cellophane. You paid 18 cents, but had an instant 3 cent rebate.

Coasting down hills to see how far up the next one you could go without power.

Semper Fi
Sempi

redman1
02-07-13, 07:28 AM
Remember these? Semper Fi Buddy24433

HST
02-07-13, 08:01 AM
Looks like a Chrysler, maybe a 52, they had the first hemi, I can't recall the year.

And Red, you sure ain't the lone ranger, I too dropped out in the 10th grade, 1965. I heard there was a war giong and I didn't want to miss out on all the fun.

Rocky, You can move it anywhere you want to, I'm like all the rest of you old farts, I like to remember the times that we all agree were the very best of life in the USA and we all lived them.

Rocky C
02-07-13, 08:28 AM
Ok Tony,

I am going to move it to " Open Squad Bay " where more can see and share.

Just keep on eye on it Brothers and Sisters
in case someone tries to crap in it with some negative comments. If so, let me know and I will delete that post and a possible extraction from this forum for that member.

" Great Thread Brother "

Does anyone remember " Carrols Hamburgers " ?. They were big up here in the Northeast before McDonalds.

10 cent Hamburgers, 5 cents more if you wanted cheese on it.

Old Marine
02-07-13, 10:29 AM
Sewing seams down the front of your levies, just to look cool.
Rolling you cigarettes up in your "T" shirt sleeve, just to look cool.
Appropriating cadillac hub caps, just to be cool.

SGT7477
02-07-13, 10:51 AM
How about the green and gold stamps, Semper Fidelis.

David R 1968
02-07-13, 11:24 AM
How about slinkies never could get them to go down the stairs the right. Way

ameriken
02-07-13, 11:39 AM
http://img2.etsystatic.com/000/0/6601785/il_570xN.322624082.jpg

David R 1968
02-07-13, 11:42 AM
Lincoln logs

David R 1968
02-07-13, 11:46 AM
Tinker toys

David R 1968
02-07-13, 11:47 AM
Silly putty

ameriken
02-07-13, 12:14 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_SqhhJb_P3Kk/TSyJQwwJqsI/AAAAAAAANQQ/N1YHbHVasLY/s640/TV+dinner.jpg (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_SqhhJb_P3Kk/TSyJQwwJqsI/AAAAAAAANQQ/N1YHbHVasLY/s1600/TV+dinner.jpg)

ameriken
02-07-13, 12:42 PM
http://www.14to42.net/images/horn&hardart.jpg

ameriken
02-07-13, 12:43 PM
Good post, Ken, I remember those dinners.

TV dinners. I think they still took an hour or so to cook in the oven back then.

oldtop
02-07-13, 01:22 PM
Krystal Burgers @ $.07 each; "ducktail" haircuts; "sockhops"; roller skating; drive-in movies; manual choke cable in your car; "Charles Atlas" ads in the back of "Boy's Life Magazine and Hot Rod Magazine...

ameriken
02-07-13, 01:30 PM
Used to listen to the Mets on one of these...

http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/qingwa/qingwa1103/qingwa110300466/9011511-1960-s-era-transistor-radio-isolated-on-a-white-background.jpg

David R 1968
02-07-13, 01:38 PM
Penny candy strips that looked Like bacon but tasted Like
coconut.
Holloway suckers. paper strips with candy dots . Bazooka
Joe bubble gum. Rock candy. Jaw breakers.

sempidr
02-07-13, 02:00 PM
Some good old TV shows:

Toast of the Town (Later called The Ed Sullivan Show)
The Original Amateur Hour
77 Sunset Strip
Name That Tune

I hated Saturday night because I was made to sit and watch the "Lawrence Welk's Dodge Dancing Party.

There was one old b & w western I can't remember the name of it. Had to do with the old Borax Mule Team. '20 Mule Team' or something. Anybody remember??

Lot of cigarette ads and NO lawyer ads.

One from a little more recent time and technology connected; anyone remember the 8" floppy disk? Held all of 128k,

Sempi

Lenny
02-07-13, 04:08 PM
how about mr. potato head....hadto use a real potato to do his faces...

HST
02-07-13, 04:17 PM
20 Mule Team Borax, yes----Death Valley Days, possibly?

Most of these things are on you tube....even things like The Cisco Kid, Sgt Preston of the Yukon.

That Sgt Preston of the Yukon, on TV and in comic books, was such an influence on me that five years before I finished college, I planned on driving to the Yukon Territory----and I did it, in a VW bug, which felt like a breadbox by the time I completed my 11,583 mile round trip to Circle, Alaska.

Dave you are amazing, we've got the wrong people sitting on the supreme court

doc h fmf
02-07-13, 05:16 PM
The water rockets, where you fill the plastic rocket with water and you pumpedit and then released it. I had hours of fun with that.

Semper FI my Brothers and Sisters

Stephen Doc Hansen HM3 FMF

Rocky C
02-07-13, 05:32 PM
A&W Root Beer stand with carhop service.
Chicks on roller skates :).

Now that was a Saturday night out !!!

redman1
02-07-13, 05:51 PM
Somebody was talking about BrelCream, my dad was a barber and even had Hopalong Cassidy hair tonic which was white. I was scolded many times because I picked up the phone with a party line and listing in. My bike had duel baskets on back and one big one in the front to carry papers. I had 120 customers.
My house now still has pull chain lights, being a Electrician I don't change it because I like everyone to see how it used to be. Our farmhouse is over 120 years old. Semper Fi Buddy

Old Marine
02-07-13, 06:33 PM
Aluminum Pennies.

Jack Armstrong The All American Boy on a box of Wheaties.

sempidr
02-07-13, 08:06 PM
20 Mule Team Borax, yes----Death Valley Days, possibly?

Most of these things are on you tube....even things like The Cisco Kid, Sgt Preston of the Yukon.

That Sgt Preston of the Yukon, on TV and in comic books, was such an influence on me that five years before I finished college, I planned on driving to the Yukon Territory----and I did it, in a VW bug, which felt like a breadbox by the time I completed my 11,583 mile round trip to Circle, Alaska.

USMC1963,
You are correct. Death Valley Days Thanks

I can feel you on the VW bug trip. In 1960, I had gotten a fractured tibia playing football, and had to go on a Christmas trip from Northern Calif. to Oklahoma, in a '59 VW bug. I was in the back seat, with a cast on my right leg, from my upper thigh to my ankle. Maybe 4500 miles, but it took FOREVER.

Lenny,
The Potato Head was the very first toy, ever advertised on TV.

Doc,
I remember the water rockets well. Actually got in big trouble once in grammer school, when the paper boys were giving them away for a paper subscription. I went through at least 4 of them before I realized I just signed my dad up for a years worth of the daily paper. Simpler times.:cry:

Semper Fi
Sempi

McT ontheRock71
02-07-13, 08:26 PM
Seven more days and pitchers and catchers report to Spring Training. I remember when Philadelphia had two teams, the Phillies and the A's. St Louis had two also The Cardinals and the Browns, Boston had the Braves, Brooklyn had the Dodgers and New York's second team was the Giants. World Series games were played in the afternoon in early October. Those were great days!

McT OUT!

sempidr
02-07-13, 10:47 PM
I just remembered these things my mom used to use when hanging up the laundered
trousers.This metal frame that was used inside the legs, and stretched to create a crease front and back, and you could even brush on the starch, (no spray cans for starch). She didn't have to iron them. Haven't seen them since.

Sempi

Mongoose
02-08-13, 05:07 AM
I remember mothers ironing on those big sguare pads on the knees of your blue jeans, to keep down wear and tear. A lot of boys also had taps put on the heels of their shoes. Sure made a lot of racket walking down the halls at school.

Mongoose
02-08-13, 05:13 AM
Once, when I was growing up, we had a Nash. Don't remember to much about it except it was big as hell. Remined me of a tank. You could put the seats down in it and it was as big as a Queen sized bed inside.

silverdollar
02-08-13, 07:13 AM
Any body remember bean shooters?

William Raybold
02-08-13, 09:54 AM
I guess I'm older than dirt. I remember all those things. I remember when we got our first TV in 1950 it had a 9" screen before that we all sat around the radio. The radio was about four foot high and three foot wide.

Rocky C
02-08-13, 10:08 AM
Once again, thanks to Tony (HST) for starting this thread, which is already a classic in its own right. He's started a few other great threads. Good job, Tony---this one will be going ten years from now.

And to Rocky for moving it here from Slop Shute. For every person that goes into the Slop Shute, there are 20 who go here in Open Squad Bay.
And making it a sticky right away, another good decision.

That was your Idea to move it Dave. Tony said yes Rocky and I just made it happen. Great minds :)

William Raybold
02-08-13, 11:39 AM
Anyone remember the Hudson and Studabaker

William Raybold
02-08-13, 12:30 PM
Remember the gas price wars and gas actually sold for 10 cents a gallon or less

sempidr
02-08-13, 01:19 PM
USMC1963,
Oh, yes, I remember the canvas water bags. Remember, one trip, in a 1946 Hudson. Suicide doors, big back seat with a big arm rest that you could pull out of the back rest. This car had an analog clock built into the glove box door, big white wall tires, and had electronic overdrive. One summer my dad bought this air conditioner, for installing in the top part of the passenger window. Big round cylinder mounted in the window. Did cool the air, but not much.
I learned later, to never cross that Mojave Desert during the day. Hope I don't offend anyone here, but Barstow still seems like the armpit of CA. Never could get through that town fast enough. They put a Marine Base there, didn't they? I rest my case.

Sempi

sempidr
02-08-13, 01:36 PM
Never see this today. We used to take a 5 cent bag of salty peanuts, poured into the top of a cold 16oz Coca Cola, (real glass bottle). That was lunch, more than a few times.
Guess I should try this again, but I have feeling it just wouldn't be the same.

S-

Old Marine
02-08-13, 01:55 PM
You used to be able to go to the store and buy beer in quart bottles.

Picking cotton was the most back breaking job I ever took as a kid. Cutting grapes was just about as bad. Always carried a canteen full of water so when you stuck your hand up in the vine to cut the grapes when the wasps started stinging you, then you made mud and spreat it on the stings and kept on cutting the grapes. Machines do it all now.

Old Marine
02-08-13, 02:09 PM
I remember those quart bottles, Willie, right up to (at least) 1962 or so.

Those things were tough in a chugging contest.

sempidr
02-08-13, 03:17 PM
You guys remember "Baby Schlitz"???

S-

sempidr
02-08-13, 03:49 PM
Every once in a while, someone would turn and shout to the bartender, "Little Joe," not the bartender's name but a 7-ounce Schlitz, sometimes also called a "shortie."
There were longnecks then too, but Little Joe seemed the preference. There was an ad campaign, "Get To Know Little Joe." The name was a salute to Joseph Schlitz, who founded the Milwaukee brewery in the 1800s.
These were bottles, by the way, rather than cans, and were opened with a bottle opener irreverently called a "church key."
Later, with the popularity of cans, the opposite end of the "key" often was shaped like a beak for use as a can opener. (No, Muffy, cans did not always have pop tops.)

A simpler time

Sempi

redman1
02-08-13, 05:35 PM
I am enjoying reading all these comments. I remember most of them and some more. Had a hard day at work today and its relaxing to sit down and read these. One sad thing is that we all enjoyed the Good Old Days and youngens today doin't have anything to look forward to. Glad I had those good years. Semper Fi Buddy

Old Marine
02-08-13, 05:35 PM
We used to call them Stubbies.

Rocky C
02-08-13, 06:18 PM
Do people even drink Boilermakers anymore ?
I haven't heard that term in years.

sempidr
02-08-13, 07:13 PM
Colgate Tooth Powder:D

Old Marine
02-08-13, 08:29 PM
Linked weiners that were still in the casings. Made great $.25 cent Hot Dogs with all the trimmings.

Lash Larue serials at the movies.

I had a Uncle who worked at the Telenews Theater in San Francisco and whenever I visited him I would go to work with him and sit and watch the news all day. This was right after WWII ended.

HST
02-09-13, 07:36 AM
I used to spend parts of the summers with some of our folks in the real Ozarks in a real log cabin, 2 light bulbs, 1 radio, when the electricity worked, candles when it didn't, heat and cook with wood, a couple of horses and a mule, a big garden, hunt anything and gig fish to eat a hand pump well outside and an outhouse and yes we really did wipe with the sears catalog. What was great about it and really impressed me was they were dirt poor but they were the richest people that I ever knew, they took me in any time and treated me like one of the family and other than the sears catalog and bull durham, the Ozarks provided everything that we needed.

HST
02-09-13, 08:11 AM
Among the best of my life, Dave. That's why we moved out here in 72. It wasn't that primitive but everyone was country friendly.

Old Marine
02-09-13, 05:45 PM
Anyone out there remember playing mumbly peg?

Mongoose
02-10-13, 05:50 AM
Anyone out there remember playing mumbly peg?
I sure do, Willie! I have two toes buried out in West Texas, to prove it,

redman1
02-10-13, 08:13 AM
I sure do, Willie! I have two toes buried out in West Texas, to prove it,

Now that's funny no matter who you are.
Semper Fi Buddy

Rocky C
02-10-13, 08:58 AM
Hahahahaha, That was Great ...:banana:

William Raybold
02-10-13, 10:24 AM
That sure brings back memories.

Old Marine
02-10-13, 02:36 PM
I always thought the object of the game in Texas was to see how many toes you could take off. LOL

Old Marine
02-10-13, 02:47 PM
Whizzer Bicycle.

Cushman Motor Scooter.

Clamp on roller skates and no helmet, or padding anywhere on the body.

Many items painted wi
th lead in the paint.

Drinking water out of the rubber garden hose and living to tell about it.

Hitch hiking to high school which was ten miles away and walking most of the way many times.

Going to the soda fountain at the local drug store and ordering a Cherry Phosfate.

William Raybold
02-10-13, 04:46 PM
Does anyone remember having brown dress shoes in th Marine Corps.

William Raybold
02-10-13, 05:08 PM
Sorry I must have missed it. It wouldn't be the first thing I screwed up but I'm learning.

SGT7477
02-10-13, 06:05 PM
Someone mentioned green and gold stamps, but more specifically S&H green stamps and Gold Bond stamps.....Sperry and Hutchinson is still in business, but they are now Green POINTS, all online. It figures.

That's right Dave with a book to put them in, Semper Fidelis.

Rocky C
02-10-13, 06:08 PM
Penny Loafers. The shinier the penny, the better.

I remember my Dad always told me to slip a dime in instead because he said that was the price of a Pay Phone Call to use in case of an emergency.

Didn't look good against a brown shoe but.....

I listened and he was right on that one many times.

SGT7477
02-10-13, 06:09 PM
How about fizzies,lol,Semper Fidelis.

William Raybold
02-10-13, 06:17 PM
How about the Raliegh coupons. One in each pack for the old smokers

William Raybold
02-10-13, 06:21 PM
You were talking about marbles, how about bottle caps. Playing in the streets

Old Marine
02-11-13, 03:00 PM
Do you have any Cat Eyes or Steelies mixed in those marbles.

Favorite game of mine as a kid was Chinese Checkers.

Old Marine
02-11-13, 03:05 PM
Ice cream trucks in the neighborhood seemed to be more common then than now. We used to love the Eskimo Pies.

50/50 Ice Cream Bar.

Mustard Plasters on the chest.

Cod Liver Oil by the spoonfull.

redman1
02-12-13, 06:57 AM
Don't know if I like this thread or not. It just reminds me that I'm just a old fart. Just kidding I love this thread because It brings back all good memories for me. I had a GREAT childhood. We used to play marbles at lunch break at school. Semper Fi Buddy

Old Marine
02-12-13, 03:09 PM
They have lakes near Bakersfield. News to me. Might be a slough here and there. LOL

redman1
02-12-13, 04:26 PM
Playing Cowboys and Indians and makeing my first sling shot with the good old entertubs. Before I had ponys me and my sister rode tobacco sticks as horses with hay strings as reins. Me and my sister in the 50's Semper Fi Buddy24511

SGT7477
02-12-13, 07:34 PM
Use to cut off car tops the older 50's made excellent boats in slough beds, Semper Fidelis.

Old Marine
02-12-13, 08:49 PM
Dave: I remember carrying a pair of pliers to pull off the little red Levi tag on the real pocket. If you saved X-amount they were worth a new pair of levi's. At school you had to watch your backside as most everyone had pliers.

Used to ride the Trailways bus all over the valley in California. In the summer time spent most of my time at the swimming pool or at the canal swimming.

McT ontheRock71
02-13-13, 02:29 PM
It was a small pond. No lakes right near Bakersfield, you are correct, Willie.

Anyone remember "car coats"? They were a very big deal to kids in Caifornia, I don't know about the rest of the country.....a particular style of coat. We all had to have one, naturally, once they became popular.

We all wore Levis--not Dickies, not Lees, not Wranglers, just Levi-Strauss, buttons, now called 501 style---they were $4.50 a pair.

Another thing we had was Gilbert chemistry sets. Metal box, three panels to it when fully opened up. Fascinating to a kid.

Dave remembers car coats, we here on the east coast wore stadium coats that had hoods and buttoned with loops and toggles as the fasteners. Then there was Flagg Flyer shoes with a metal device that, when open, allowed the your foot to slide in easily. The device was covered with leather to match the rest of the shoe. Then of course we had to have cletes on the heel just to be heard coming down the hall.

Kegler300
02-13-13, 02:33 PM
Crayons and coloring books for kids back in my younger days...iPads and cell phones for kids now...

Rocky C
02-13-13, 02:38 PM
Dave remembers car coats, we here on the east coast wore stadium coats that had hoods and buttoned with loops and toggles as the fasteners.

You Betcha Ken :thumbup:

Kegler300
02-13-13, 02:48 PM
Hot Wheels and Matchbox Cars...even Twister...

http://cdn2.damnfunnypictures.com/38c293aeb26431b7dc811d4e777f548f.jpg

Old Marine
02-13-13, 03:36 PM
Never ever rolled my levi's up on the outside, always on the inside.

Anyone remember Peggers. They were kakhi in color or black and the bottom at the cuff was tapered down where you could barley get your foot through. Almost like a zoot suit. Zoot Suits were what the Hispanic community wore in those days.

Instead of heel taps does anyone remember the Horse Shoe Taps that went on the shoe heel. Looked just like a small horse shoe. Also made lots of noise when walking.

Kegler300
02-13-13, 03:44 PM
White socks and penny loafers...

Mongoose
02-13-13, 03:59 PM
Never ever rolled my levi's up on the outside, always on the inside.

Anyone remember Peggers. They were kakhi in color or black and the bottom at the cuff was tapered down where you could barley get your foot through. Almost like a zoot suit. Zoot Suits were what the Hispanic community wore in those days.

Instead of heel taps does anyone remember the Horse Shoe Taps that went on the shoe heel. Looked just like a small horse shoe. Also made lots of noise when walking.
Most boys had taps on their shoes. We actually had shoe shops, where you could have new soles and heels put on instead of buying new ones. A lot of us boys had flat tops. If you was real cool, you had a Hollywood flat top, and wore your collar turned up.

William Raybold
02-13-13, 07:49 PM
I remember car coats but do you remember six button bennies and pegged pants.

Old Marine
02-13-13, 08:57 PM
I wore peggers.

Used to also wear cordroy pants that were a very light color and as they got dirty the better they were. You could take them off and stand them in the corner for the next day. Those were some tough trousers.

Bicycles without the chain guard. Had metal clips to clip on the right trouser leg so the trousers did not get caught in the chain.

Rocky C
02-14-13, 10:01 AM
Knickers.
Today the Women call them " Capri Pants " HA !!!

Old Marine
02-14-13, 08:58 PM
Hey Rocky, Did you also have high top shoes with the knickers?(Sorry peddle pushers/clam diggers)

Rocky C
02-15-13, 07:13 AM
Yes I did Willie.

SGT7477
02-15-13, 08:59 AM
Turtle necks and Dickies, Semper Fidelis.

David R 1968
02-15-13, 11:01 AM
I get a little turtle neck when it's cold out.

redman1
02-15-13, 11:02 AM
Good old day Semper Fi Buddy24519

SGT7477
02-15-13, 01:15 PM
Good one,lol,Semper Fidelis.

William Hardy
02-16-13, 08:44 AM
I remember those good old days. I was just talking to a fellow teacher about the backpacks the kids carry around the elementary school. They weigh about as much as the kids..or at least it looks like it. Safety rules say that the younger kids are to ride to school, either by bus or car, if they have to cross certain main streets that are considered a hazard. In the Afternoon when they get out the parents have to have a specific type of sign to identify them as the correct parent/"ride home" to help prevent kidnapping by the wrong parent or stranger.

Most of us remember the days when you didn't take anything home from elementary school that didn't fit in your pockets. I got out of school, played, and got home in time for supper. As a matter of fact, at my first elementary school we could go home for lunch. It was an hour break in the middle of the day. I went home when the weather was good before my mother started working. A hot bowl of soup and a sandwich sure hit the spot. Back when we had neighborhood schools, there were no buses. Kids walked and were healthy even with the metal drinking glasses and lead paint. Party lines worked just fine for those who couldn't afford a private line, and if you couldn't afford your own phone, you could use a neighbors in an emergency. Like was mentioned above, people would invite others over to watch TV. You would watch shows like Ed Sullivan and never worry about and bleeps or some gal showing three-quarters of her boobs on TV. It was a different time and I am glad I grew up then. I remember when I was a small kid and my mother bought me a cardigan sweater. I pitched a fit that only girls wore buttoned-up sweaters. Then I saw Perry Como wearing one on his show and it was OK and I wore it after that. Turning your cuffs up on your jeans and dumping a cup of dirt on your bedroom floor when you took them off..LOL

Those were the days.

PS - One military high school I attended in Germany had a smoking room for students! If you had written permission, you could go in there and smoke when you were not in class!

Old Marine
02-16-13, 10:10 AM
You did not want to be left handed back when I was in school. If the teacher caught you writing with your left hand they would strike your knuckles on the left hand with a ruler and tell you to put the pencil in your right hand.

I was always glad that I was right handed. Oh Yea and you did not ever ask WHY.

To this day my wife writes with either one of her hands, because of this. She also attended grammer school in a one room school in the Sierra/Nevada mountains.

Old Marine
02-16-13, 04:02 PM
There are some great old movies on Turner Classic Movie right now. Some are black/white and some have been colored. Its great to watch some of these movies again. Much better than the crap they make these days.

Chief23A
02-16-13, 04:40 PM
My dad had one of the first tv's out. a 5" (with magnifier) muntz tv. GOD AM I OOOLLLDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

William Hardy
02-16-13, 04:47 PM
I watch those movie channels, but do remember when on Friday and Saturday they had the late show and would show the horror movies? It was always hosted by some guy, sometimes a gal, who dressed up like Dracula? American Band Stand in B/W?

Old Marine
02-16-13, 05:13 PM
Willie, they wouldn't even know how to make those old movies these days. Would feel obligated to add things...everything has to be explosions and swearing...then they would feel like they remade the old movie in the right way.

Agreed. I also get real sick and tired of them having to jump into bed the first five minutes of the movie so they can try and hold your attention. Also tired of guys kissing guys and broads doing the same, just so the movie is P.C. Makes a straight person want to puke.

Old Marine
02-16-13, 05:19 PM
My dad had one of the first tv's out. a 5" (with magnifier) muntz tv. GOD AM I OOOLLLDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I remember when TV first started all the picture tubes were made by RCA and it mattered not what brand TV you had, they all had picture tubes made by RCA.

ridingcrops
02-19-13, 10:44 AM
Geez after readin this I am OLD! LOL

McT ontheRock71
02-22-13, 10:40 AM
One Christmas in the early 50's, Mom and Pop bought us kids a Handy Andy tool box as a present. My guess is that Pop was tired of looking for his tools when he needed them. It had a miniature saw, hammer, chisel, level and a couple of other low tech tools. We used it for a few of our projects but when we needed to build on to our backyard forts or put our soap box car back on the street after an accident, Pop's tool chest always got raided. Great memories.

SGT7477
02-22-13, 01:03 PM
The old telephone booths, knocked my fist through one when I was home on leave boy did the glass fly, damn girlfriend,lol, Semper Fidelis.

silverdollar
02-23-13, 06:09 AM
Anybody remember ducktail haircuts pegged pants and turned up collars?

Skosh59
02-23-13, 11:29 AM
Yes, I had all three of them when I joined the Corps.

William Raybold
02-24-13, 08:31 AM
Our first TV had a 9 inch screen but the set must have been 3ft deep. Remember Frontier play house. The old westerns every night after Houty Duty

William Raybold
02-25-13, 02:56 PM
Remember the original Band Stand before Dick Clark and Jack Parr on the tonight shoe before Johnny Carson

silverdollar
02-26-13, 06:20 AM
Remember Steve Allen before Jack Parr?

McT ontheRock71
02-26-13, 07:13 AM
Remember the original Band Stand before Dick Clark and Jack Parr on the tonight shoe before Johnny Carson

Yep, I do!
Bob Horne had Band Stand before Dick Clark was brought in.

Sgt Jim
02-27-13, 05:57 AM
I remember getting a bur or flattop hair cut and had some pink hair stuff in a jar to make the front of the flattop stand up. How about the foil christmas tree with the four color revolving light, the Micky Mouse Club,Diana Shore and see the USA in your chevy, Sky King, Roy and Dale Evans,Bat Masterson,Ringo Starr,Have Gun Will Travel.And real cartoons, not the stuff on today. Semper Fi, Jim and Rose.

David R 1968
02-27-13, 06:12 AM
I think the pink stuff was butch wax.

William Raybold
02-27-13, 08:48 AM
Sgt Jim, They were the good days. How about going to the movies. We had the news, three cartoon, and a Buck Rodgers serial along with a double feature, all for ten cents.

William Hardy
03-01-13, 08:58 PM
The posts are really nostalgic. What I really remember about those days was the lack of parental supervision as we went about our daily play. No one worried about getting molested or kidnapped. We ran all over town and as the sun went down, we went home. In the summer we ran up and down the streets at night playing all kinds of games. No worries, just fun. Sundays were reserved for Ed Sullivan, and we watched shows like Red Skelton, Uncle Milty, and the kids watch those old cartoons with dancing flowers. I never realized that when I got to college that recognizing the music in those silly cartoons would help me get good grades in music appreciation class. I was a teenager before I saw a color set. When our local station went to color in the late 60s, my grandfather sat in front of the TV all day waiting for it to change from BW to color. When I got home from school he asked me if this was the day. I had a heck of a time explaining to him that you had to have a color set to see color. We had a party line for a telephone back then. We even had a doctor that made house calls out into the country side to see my grandfather (We were about 12 miles from the clinic) He would treat him, give him a dose of medicine, write a prescription, and tell my dad that would be $10.00. The boys had gun racks in their pickups and they would leave their windows down in the parking lot and no one cared. Every now and then the principal might talk guns or even open his trunk to show of his new 12 gauge. Try that today.

Am I older than dirt? Well back in the day when Cpl. Moses and I were in the desert......

Old Marine
03-02-13, 08:40 AM

Might have been Pomade.

Shakey Jake
03-02-13, 12:05 PM
I remembered 2 other things. I remember the Catholic Legion of Decency which told us what certain movies we COULD NOT go to see. And I remember clipping what could have been my future retirement fund to my bike spokes with clothes pins.

Old Marine
03-02-13, 12:17 PM
Realizing that we all remember the Woolworth's Five & Dime, but does anyone remember the variety store called J.J. Newberry's, or the variety store called Kress's.
The Newberrys in my hometown had a big long soda fountain and lots of goodies. Banana Splits to kill for, Phosphates, Real Milk Shakes, and of course Cherry Cokes.

These stores are history now, but they really should be resurected and brought back to life.

William Raybold
03-03-13, 08:11 AM
How about the old Sun Ray drug stores. They had a great soda and ice cream counter.

SGT7477
03-03-13, 07:42 PM

There was pink and also green butch wax, Semper Fidelis.

Marine2113
03-05-13, 09:00 AM
We never watched much TV we were always out playing baseball. I went to my Grandsons baseball game last week and could not believe how awful 10 yr old boys
played the game. Thanks Xbox and TV for that. We always ate together as a family too, had some great conversation in those days.

Blutic
03-12-13, 10:23 PM
I remember the good ole days when we shined boots, pressed cami's, wore field jackets, slept in shelter halves, and ate dehydrated potato patties in MREs (without heaters).

SGT7477
03-13-13, 07:59 PM
I remember the good ole days when we shined boots, pressed cami's, wore field jackets, slept in shelter halves, and ate dehydrated potato patties in MREs (without heaters).

Sir, did you just get promoted recently? Semper Fidelis

Blutic
03-13-13, 09:37 PM
November 2012.

William Raybold
03-14-13, 10:01 AM
I remember all of them. I'm 70 now. I guess I'm older than dirt. Here's one my father had an old Gram. When ever he would drive onto the ferry it would break down and need o be pushed off. This was in the late 40s early 50s.

HST
03-14-13, 01:26 PM
I remember when you went to the drug store down the street and got a real fontaine coke made with coke syrup and seltzer water for a nickle. A squirt of cheyyr syrup was a penney more. and I remember when my mom would call the market and the suff would be delivered by a kid on a bike with a big basket on the back fender. The bills were settled on saturday.

William Raybold
03-14-13, 04:45 PM
I remember when we would buy. A block of ice at the ice house. Put in your wagon walk the streets and sell snow balls for 3 cents. And oft pretzels for. A Penney a piece. We bought the pretzels .60 cents for a hundred pretzels. You worked all day and maybe you made a dollar.

SGT7477
03-14-13, 06:49 PM
November 2012.

I knew you were on my friends list as a Capt. Congrats Sir, Semper Fidelis.

FistFu68
03-15-13, 04:23 PM
:beer: I can remember when Playboy magazine did not show the Playmates snatch! If it were meant 2 eat it would come in a C-Rat can or grow on a Tree :p :iwo:

HST
03-16-13, 04:43 PM
This is now meant to offend anyboby but I can remember when 14 and 15 year olds went to other states to get married and some of them that we know are still together. My wife is a DAR member and early marriage was quite common in this great country.....What happened?

In the today world they would both be serving 40 years

William Hardy
03-16-13, 05:30 PM
This is now meant to offend anyboby but I can remember when 14 and 15 year olds went to other states to get married and some of them that we know are still together. My wife is a DAR member and early marriage was quite common in this great country.....What happened?

In the today world they would both be serving 40 years

Modern society developed. Adolescence is a modern invention. In the old days you went from infancy to childhood to adulthood No adolescence. If a boy was doing what a man could do, he was a man even if he was 13 or 14. Same for a girl. When she matured she was automatically called a woman and ready to marry.

The idea of adolescents took hold in earnest during our lifetime. I remember stories of couples here going to Mississippi to marry because you didn't have to be 18. I think it was 17 there at the time (anyone know for sure). Some went to Louisiana where a 15 year old could marry without parental consent.

My grandfather's first wife was quite young, around 15 or 16 at the time of their marriage at the turn of the century. Today he would be arrested for child molestation since he was something like 23 or 24 at the time. The marriage didn't last and he remarried in the 19 teens sometime to a young girl who was still in her late teens. He was in his 40s at the time! Talk about serving 40 years. They had 3 children, one being my father. She died in the late 1920s and my grandfather never remarried.

William Raybold
03-16-13, 06:37 PM
My wife was 16 and I was 22 when we met and got married in July, 1965. It'll be 48 years this July, four children and four grandchildren later and she is still the love of my life.

ridingcrops
03-18-13, 03:00 PM
Good thing you aren't in school today or they would have the cops taking you and that cap gun away LOL

ridingcrops
03-18-13, 03:09 PM
The more of these I read the greyer my hair is getting. LOL It may not be old enough for all of you but does anyone remember when they made greasy kids stuff? It was a take off of Vitalis ads.
And I remember the starter buttons on cars and me and my sister sitting in the car waiting for Dad to come out of the store pushing it and the car was smashing the car in front LOL

Old Marine
03-18-13, 06:41 PM
Anyone remember the "Jewel Tea Man" coming around every month trying to sell his wares. My sister still has a bowl set that my mother bought from the guy. Used to also be the " Fuller Brush Man."

silverdollar
03-19-13, 07:17 AM
Anybody remember chasing the ice truck to get chips of ice in the summer, remember the iceman carrying blocks of ice into the house for the icebox?

William Raybold
03-19-13, 08:28 AM
Remember when new cars came standard with no heaters, no radios, no turn signals, no air condition, no power windows and just stick shift.

Ray Harvey
03-19-13, 07:29 PM
I remember all the tv shows you guys are talking about, I watch them everyday now myself, and laugh at the things my dad and grandfather did while the shows were on, man those where the days, miss both of them, now I watch them with my grandkids and don't let John Wayne be on in one of those old war movies... Those were the shows than and now, only thing got a bigger screen to watch them.

Ray Harvey
03-19-13, 07:31 PM
Anybody remember Rat Patrol or Combat....

Chief23A
03-20-13, 01:05 PM
Anybody remember ducktail haircuts pegged pants and turned up collars?
Anybody remember when a Buck Sgt did not have the crossed rifles??

Old Marine
03-20-13, 03:46 PM
Anybody remember when a Buck Sgt did not have the crossed rifles??

Yep. just one of the fiasco's the military had in that time period. Should have added the E-8 and E-9 and went on with life. All the rest of it was a waste of time and money.

Rocky C
03-20-13, 04:01 PM
A slab of vanilla ice cream between 2 waffles from the ice cream man for 5 cents...

SGT7477
03-21-13, 10:03 AM
Remember when new cars came standard with no heaters, no radios, no turn signals, no air condition, no power windows and just stick shift.
Today's generation would be lost,lol,Semper Fidelis.

McT ontheRock71
03-21-13, 01:13 PM
With the sky high cost of heating oil my thoughts wander back to the times when coal was the primary fuel for furnaces. The coal truck would back up to a basement window and drop a load of coal into the coal bin and you went down when you needed to increase the heat and shovel some coal ontothe fire. It was cheap entertainment for the kids in the neighborhood also.

SGT7477
03-21-13, 05:21 PM
With the sky high cost of heating oil my thoughts wander back to the times when coal was the primary fuel for furnaces. The coal truck would back up to a basement window and drop a load of coal into the coal bin and you went down when you needed to increase the heat and shovel some coal ontothe fire. It was cheap entertainment for the kids in the neighborhood also.

My hometown grade school still uses coal, Semper Fidelis.

William Raybold
03-30-13, 12:36 PM
I remember the coal bin and needing to build a fire in the mornings. My brother had that job since he was older. I remember helping to put the ashes out in the big galvanized cans. They sure were heavy

Sgt Jim
03-30-13, 12:47 PM
Turned 61 today, the dirt is up to my knees now.

William Raybold
03-30-13, 01:07 PM
Happy Birthday Sgt. Jim and many more to come. I'll be 71 in September.

SGT7477
03-31-13, 08:28 AM
Turned 61 today, the dirt is up to my knees now.

Happy Birthday Jim, Semper Fidelis.

McT ontheRock71
04-01-13, 07:46 AM
Sgt Jim, Best wishes to you on your sixty first birthday Brother. Hope you have many more to celebrate.
OooRaahhh:banana:

McT ontheRock71
04-01-13, 08:29 AM
With the approach of summer I start thinking about evening excursions to the Jersey Shore and walking the boardwalk with the kids. Back when I was a young man, the accepted dress for men was a suit and tie or sport coat, tie, and slacks. Spectator shoes were popular for "the Sports" to wear. The smell of cigar smoke and popcorn permeated the air. Women wore dresses and heels with rubber tips on them to prevent the shoe heels from wedging between the planks. Everyone looked like they were attending a wedding or some other special event. Today people dress more casually with shorts and tee shirts and shower shoes. Oh well, that was another time.

William Raybold
04-01-13, 09:43 AM
Wildwood, NJ under the Boardwalk. They used to have a teenage dance under a pier in the heart of Wildwood every weekend. I still spend a lot of time in Cape May.

McT ontheRock71
04-15-13, 07:26 AM
One night this weekend when sleep was evading me, I turned on the TV and started watching a movie filmed around the late fifties. I wasn't following the plot of the film so much as looking at the setting and props used during the shooting of the movie. As I watched a scene in an urban setting, I noticed a car being parallel parked along a curb. Looking closer, I noticed the car had curb feelers attached to the front fenders. I always thought that they were used by folks who were afraid of scraping the walls of their tires against the concrete curb or who just couldn't parallel park. I remember seeing them advertized in Pep Boys and J.C. Whitney catalogues.

Drafter
04-28-13, 07:11 AM
50 aint older than dirt. but its 30 years since i stepped on the yellow footprints.

Just checking in.

Arlene Horton
05-26-13, 11:34 PM
Sort of late for this, but at age 79 I guess I am really older than dirt. I remember all the "stuff" posted..we had and did the same. Our icebox had a pan on the floor to catch the water from the melting ice block. Woe to the one who forgot to empty it before going to bed. We didn't get a T.V. until I was 15...I think we only had one station on and it went off at Midnight with the National Anthem played first. Then they had a test pattern on until the station started up. Can't remember what time that was...guess my age is showing! Boot camp was no where near what the young women experience today. We actually had to make an appointment for a "perm" to insure we looked "good" as well as squared away. We wore brown seersucker outfits with a skirt for drill and cleaning the squadbays. We called them "peanut suits"..that's what they looked like. Our utilities were nothing like the "camos" worn now. When I see the pictures on TV of current boot camp plus the intense training the women now have I have the greatest amount of respect for the new Marines who just happen to be females! Semper Fi...

Torres910
05-31-13, 12:59 AM
A former marine was recently kidnapped in mexico please take your time and sign this petition so the government will do something about it.
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/demand-release-former-marine-armando-torres/lcJbHhZ6

ridingcrops
07-04-13, 09:18 AM
Hey silverdollar that's Sgt Preston of the Yukon. I think you have him mixed up with Sky King.

ridingcrops
07-04-13, 09:33 AM
So does anyone remeber Sky King, Roy Rogers and Dale Evans and the Cisco Kid on Saturday mornings? Or theold WWII propaganda cartoons that would be so not PC today? Everything from Popeye to the Threee Stooges kicking tail agaionst the Japanese and Hitler. Captain Kangaroo with Mr Green Jeans and Mr Moose? Excuse me I have to get my cane.

The DUKE
07-05-13, 10:56 PM
If remembering all that means I'm older than dirt, guilty as charged..

carrvy1
07-15-13, 07:40 PM
77 and holding looks like the dirt is about ready to cover me up. I still mow my own lawn and watch TV while walking on my treadmill.

David R 1968
07-21-13, 06:16 AM
For those who never saw any of the Burma Shave signs, here is a quick lesson
In our history of the 1930's and '40's. Before there were interstates, when everyone drove the old 2 lane roads,
Burma Shave signs would be posted all over the countryside in farmers' fields.They were small red signs with white letters. Five signs,
About 100 feet apart, each containing 1 line of a 4 line couplet.......and the obligatory 5th sign advertising
Burma Shave, a popular shaving cream.

Here are more of the actual signs:

DON'T STICK YOUR ELBOW
OUT SO FAR
IT MAY GO HOME
IN ANOTHER CAR.
BURMA SHAVE

TRAINS DON'T WANDER
ALL OVER THE MAP
'CAUSE NOBODY SITS
IN THE ENGINEER'S LAP
Burma Shave

SHE KISSED THE HAIRBRUSH
BY MISTAKE
SHE THOUGHT IT WAS
HER HUSBAND JAKE
Burma Shave

DON'T LOSE YOUR HEAD
TO GAIN A MINUTE
YOU NEED YOUR HEAD
YOUR BRAINS ARE IN IT
Burma Shave

DROVE TOO LONG
DRIVER SNOOZING
WHAT HAPPENED NEXT
IS NOT AMUSING
Burma Shave

BROTHER SPEEDER
LET'S REHEARSE
ALL TOGETHER
GOOD MORNING, NURSE
Burma Shave

CAUTIOUS RIDER
TO HER RECKLESS DEAR
LET'S HAVE LESS BULL
AND A LITTLE MORE STEER
Burma Shave

SPEED WAS HIGH
WEATHER WAS NOT
TIRES WERE THIN
X MARKS THE SPOT
Burma Shave

THE MIDNIGHT RIDE
OF PAUL FOR BEER
LED TO A WARMER
HEMISPHERE
Burma Shave

AROUND THE CURVE
LICKETY-SPLIT
BEAUTIFUL CAR
WASN'T IT?
Burma Shave

NO MATTER THE PRICE
NO MATTER HOW NEW
THE BEST SAFETY DEVICE
IN THE CAR IS YOU
Burma Shave

A GUY WHO DRIVES
A CAR WIDE OPEN
IS NOT THINKIN'
HE'S JUST HOPIN'
Burma Shave

AT INTERSECTIONS
LOOK EACH WAY
A HARP SOUNDS NICE
BUT IT'S HARD TO PLAY
Burma Shave

BOTH HANDS ON THE WHEEL
EYES ON THE ROAD
THAT'S THE SKILLFUL
DRIVER'S CODE
Burma Shave

THE ONE WHO DRIVES
WHEN HE'S BEEN DRINKING
DEPENDS ON YOU
TO DO HIS THINKING
Burma Shave

CAR IN DITCH
DRIVER IN TREE
THE MOON WAS FULL
AND SO WAS HE.
Burma Shave

PASSING SCHOOL ZONE
TAKE IT SLOW
LET OUR LITTLE
SHAVERS GROW
Burma Shave

Do these bring back any old memories?
If not, you're merely a child.

bailesrj
08-23-13, 11:53 PM
Don't know who started this but thanks for the memories I think that had something to do with bob hope did anyone else chew the road tar

bailesrj
08-24-13, 12:02 AM
Don't know who started this but, thanks for the memories, I think that had something to do with bob hope. did anyone else chew the road tar. Just turned 71 but am starting to remember everything like it was tomorrow.

m14ed
08-24-13, 04:49 AM
Burma Shave signs would be posted all over the countryside in farmers' fields.They were small red signs with white letters. Five signs,
About 100 feet apart, each containing 1 line of a 4 line couplet.......and the obligatory 5th sign advertising
Burma Shave, a popular shaving cream.

You can't have driven

Very far

IF you can't remember

Who's Signs

These Are

Burma Shave

Old Marine
08-24-13, 06:02 PM
Remember reading many Burma Shave signs. We did not have TV in vehicles back then. Nor did we have air conditioning. But we had wind wings.

carrvy1
08-27-13, 07:19 AM
I remember when I turned 25 and everyone told me I was over the hill but I don't remember anyone telling me that 2 years ago when I turned 75.LOL.

I remember when beer was worth ten cents at the slop chute and cigarettes were 1 dollar a carton.;)

Old Marine
08-27-13, 08:22 AM
I remember when I turned 25 and everyone told me I was over the hill but I don't remember anyone telling me that 2 years ago when I turned 75.LOL.

I remember when beer was worth ten cents at the slop chute and cigarettes were 1 dollar a carton.;)

Those were some great days for sure. Remember them well.

William Hardy
08-27-13, 08:32 AM

In Nam, cigarettes were $1.10 a carton...no taxes. Since there were no pennies, a single pack was 15 cents. State side they were around $2.00 a carton and 25 cents a pack in the club.

Back in the mid 70s on Oki, a bottle of good bourbon cost $2.40 a quart...no taxes of any kind. My buddy would buy a case of coke for $2.40 and it lasted us from payday to payday. What's the cost of a single drink today?

carrvy1
08-27-13, 09:16 AM
In Nam, cigarettes were $1.10 a carton...no taxes. Since there were no pennies, a single pack was 15 cents. State side they were around $2.00 a carton and 25 cents a pack in the club.

Back in the mid 70s on Oki, a bottle of good bourbon cost $2.40 a quart...no taxes of any kind. My buddy would buy a case of coke for $2.40 and it lasted us from payday to payday. What's the cost of a single drink today?

I paid $3.80 at Chili's the other day for a Coors light. In Camp Pendleton between paydays the word was Thunder Bird wine, what was nice the price .59 cents.

In Japan a one night shack up could be bartered with the Mama son and Jo son was yours any where from 3 to five bucks.

Old Marine
08-27-13, 02:27 PM
Used to pay $.50 for a gallon of Dago Red.

old school
08-27-13, 03:48 PM
:D remember that big reddish pink rubber looking thing hanging over the shower rail with a long tube running out of it?? that thing scared the hell out of me in the late 50's hehehehehehehe until i got to know what its function was hehehehehehehehe

Old Marine
08-27-13, 05:39 PM
:D remember that big reddish pink rubber looking thing hanging over the shower rail with a long tube running out of it?? that thing scared the hell out of me in the late 50's hehehehehehehe until i got to know what its function was hehehehehehehehe

Used to use the hose off that red thing for a home brew siphon hose.

Rocky C
08-27-13, 05:46 PM
hahahaha !!!

Kegler300
08-27-13, 05:57 PM
http://images.sodahead.com/polls/001336453/gra_bdoctor_788957_answer_1_xlarge.jpeg

Rocky C
08-27-13, 06:00 PM
Wow !!!

carrvy1
08-27-13, 08:40 PM
I remember when I bought this 50 dollar coffin called a 47 Pontiac, I had to pray every time I got to a hill. The compression on the engine was very low. One time when I was going to LA from Camp Pendleton I saw this big azz hill and started praying the problem was I never got to the damn hill it was all an illusion. LOL.

Super Dave
09-08-13, 01:15 PM
OUCH....Feeling old after reading those....

David R 1968
02-26-14, 03:32 PM
For those who never saw any of the Burma Shave signs, here is a quick lesson in our history of the 1930's and '40's. Before there were interstates, when everyone drove the old 2 lane roads, Burma Shave signs would be posted all over the countryside in farmers' fields. They were small red signs with white letters. Five signs, about 100 feet apart, each containing 1 line of a 4 line couplet.......and the obligatory 5th sign advertising Burma Shave, a popular shaving cream.

These were still out in the 50's & early 60's (at least in Texas)

Here are more of the actual signs:

DON'T STICK YOUR ELBOW
OUT SO FAR
IT MAY GO HOME
IN ANOTHER CAR.
BURMA SHAVE

TRAINS DON'T WANDER
ALL OVER THE MAP
'CAUSE NOBODY SITS
IN THE ENGINEER'S LAP
Burma Shave

SHE KISSED THE HAIRBRUSH
BY MISTAKE
SHE THOUGHT IT WAS
HER HUSBAND JAKE
Burma Shave

DON'T LOSE YOUR HEAD
TO GAIN A MINUTE
YOU NEED YOUR HEAD
YOUR BRAINS ARE IN IT
Burma Shave

DROVE TOO LONG
DRIVER SNOOZING
WHAT HAPPENED NEXT
IS NOT AMUSING
Burma Shave

BROTHER SPEEDER
LET'S REHEARSE
ALL TOGETHER
GOOD MORNING, NURSE
Burma Shave

CAUTIOUS RIDER
TO HER RECKLESS DEAR
LET'S HAVE LESS BULL
AND A LITTLE MORE STEER
Burma Shave

SPEED WAS HIGH
WEATHER WAS NOT
TIRES WERE THIN
X MARKS THE SPOT
Burma Shave

THE MIDNIGHT RIDE
OF PAUL FOR BEER
LED TO A WARMER
HEMISPHERE
Burma Shave

AROUND THE CURVE
LICKETY-SPLIT
BEAUTIFUL CAR
WASN'T IT?
Burma Shave

NO MATTER THE PRICE
NO MATTER HOW NEW
THE BEST SAFETY DEVICE
IN THE CAR IS YOU
Burma Shave

A GUY WHO DRIVES
A CAR WIDE OPEN
IS NOT THINKIN'
HE'S JUST HOPIN'
Burma Shave

AT INTERSECTIONS
LOOK EACH WAY
A HARP SOUNDS NICE
BUT IT'S HARD TO PLAY
Burma Shave

BOTH HANDS ON THE WHEEL
EYES ON THE ROAD
THAT'S THE SKILLFUL
DRIVER'S CODE
Burma Shave

THE ONE WHO DRIVES
WHEN HE'S BEEN DRINKING
DEPENDS ON YOU
TO DO HIS THINKING
Burma Shave

CAR IN DITCH
DRIVER IN TREE
THE MOON WAS FULL
AND SO WAS HE.
Burma Shave

PASSING SCHOOL ZONE
TAKE IT SLOW
LET OUR LITTLE
SHAVERS GROW
Burma Shave

If they do - then you're old as dirt... LIKE ME!

Rocky C
02-26-14, 03:44 PM
I forgot all about this thread. Great stuff :thumbup:

McT ontheRock71
03-11-14, 09:47 AM
I don't know how many of you remember when the octagonal STOP sign had a yellow backround with black lettering. Some even had small round reflectors on the lettering following the letter's shape.

McT ontheRock71
03-21-14, 10:48 AM
When my dad came home from work at the end of his day, he would sit down in his "easy" chair with the evening paper. When he would open it up, his hands and legs would be the only things visable. The size of the paper was so large, it could act as a blanket for sleeping and oft times it did. Over the years the newspaper industry's product has gone from a cheap way of communicating the news of the day to an expensive mode of sales advertising. What a sad statement.

jrh
03-21-14, 06:09 PM
Rubber band slingshots . Captain Video flashlight guns . R C cola 12 oz. bottles , one of which I still have .
As Bob Hope would say , "Thanks for the memories."

David R 1968
04-02-14, 06:59 PM
FENDER SKIRTS AND SUPPER
I know some of you will not understand this message,
but I bet you know someone who might.
I came across this phrase yesterday.

'FENDER SKIRTS'

A term I haven't heard in a long time, and thinking about
'fender skirts' started me thinking about other words that quietly disappear from our language with hardly a notice like 'curb feelers'

And 'steering knobs.' (AKA) 'suicide knob,' 'neckers knobs.'

Since I'd been thinking of cars, my mind naturally went that direction first. Any kids will probably have to find some older person over 50 to explain some of these terms to you.

Remember 'Continental kits?'
They were rear bumper extenders and spare tire covers that were supposed to make any car as cool as a Lincoln Continental.

When did we quit calling them 'emergency brakes? At some point 'parking brake' became the proper term. But I miss the hint of drama that went with 'emergency brake.'

I'm sad, too, that almost all the old folks are gone who would call the accelerator the 'foot feed.' Many today do not even know what a clutch is or that the dimmer switch used to be on the floor.
For that matter, the starter was down there too.

Didn't you ever wait at the street for your daddy to come home, so you could ride the 'running board' up to the house?

Here's a phrase I heard all the time in my youth but never anymore - 'store-bought.' Of course, just about everything is store-bought these days. But once it was bragging material to have a store-bought dress or a store-bought bag of candy.

'Coast to coast' is a phrase that once held all sorts of excitement and now means almost nothing. Now we take the term 'worldwide' for granted. This floors me.

On a smaller scale, 'wall-to-wall' was once a magical term in our homes. In the '50s, everyone covered his or her hardwood floors with, wow, wall-to-wall carpeting! Today, everyone replaces their wall-to-wall carpeting
with hardwood floors. Go figure.

When was the last time you heard the quaint phrase 'in a family way?' It's hard to imagine that the word 'pregnant' was once considered a little too graphic, a little too clinical for use in polite company, so we had all that talk about stork visits and 'being in a family way' or simply 'expecting.'

Apparently 'brassiere' is a word no longer in usage. I said it the other day and my daughter cracked up. I guess it's just 'bra' now.
'Unmentionables' probably wouldn't be understood at all.

I always loved going to the 'picture show,' but I considered 'movie' an affectation.

Most of these words go back to the '50s, but here's a pure '60s word I came across the other day 'rat fink.' Ooh, what a nasty put-down!

Here's a word I miss - 'percolator.'
That was just a fun word to say. And what was it replaced with 'Coffee maker.' How dull.. Mr. Coffee, I blame you for this.

I miss those made-up marketing words that were meant to sound so modern and now sound so retro. Words like 'Dyna Flow' and 'Electrolux' and 'Frigidaire'. Introducing the 1963 Admiral TV, now with 'Spectra Vision!'

Food for thought.
Was there a telethon that wiped out lumbago? Nobody complains of that anymore. Maybe that's what Castor oil cured, because I never hear mothers threatening kids with Castor Oil anymore.

Some words aren't gone, but are definitely on the endangered list. The one that grieves me most is 'supper.' Now, everybody says 'dinner.' Save a great word. Invite someone to supper - Discuss fender skirts.

Rocky C
04-03-14, 07:45 AM
Great post David. Some of those words I haven't thought about in years.:thumbup:

HST
04-03-14, 01:01 PM
I remember my mom would go to the corner market. There was no pre ground coffee, she would get a bag of bean and run them through a big grinder that put the ground coffee back in the bag and if she was real busy she could call the market and the stuff would be delivered by a kid on a bike.

David R 1968
05-19-14, 04:53 AM
I know some of you will not understand this message, but I betyou know someone who might.
I came across this phrase yesterday 'FENDER SKIRTS'

A term I haven't heard in a long time, and thinking about 'fender skirts' started me thinking about other words that quietly disappear from our language with hardly a notice like'curb feelers'

And 'steering knobs.'

Since I'd been thinking of cars, my mind naturally went that direction first.

Any kids will probably have to find some older person over 50 to explain some of these terms to you.

Remember 'Continental kits?'
They were rear bumper extenders and spare tire covers that were supposed to make any car as cool as a Lincoln Continental.

When did we quit calling them 'emergency brakes?
At some point 'parking brake' became the proper term. But I miss the hint of drama that went with 'emergency brake.'

I'm sad, too, that almost all the old folks are gone who would call the accelerator the 'foot feed.'
Many today do not even know what a clutch is or that the dimmer switch used to be on the floor.
For that matter, the starter was down there too.

Didn't you ever wait at the street for your daddy to come home, so you could ride the'running board' up to the house?

Here's a phrase I heard all the time in my youth but never anymore - 'store-bought.'
Of course, just about everything is store-bought these days.
But once it was bragging material to have a store-bought dress or a store-bought bag of candy.

'Coast to coast' is a phrase that once held all sorts of excitement and now means almost nothing.
Now we take the term 'worldwide' for granted.
This floors me.

On a smaller scale, 'wall-to-wall' was once a magical term in our homes. In the '50s, everyone covered his or her hardwood floors with, wow, wall-to-wall carpeting!
Today, everyone replaces their wall-to-wall carpeting with hardwood floors. Go figure.

When was the last time you heard the quaint phrase 'in a family way?' It's hard to imagine that the word 'pregnant' was once considered a little too graphic, a little too clinical for use in polite company, so we had all that talk about stork visits and 'being in a family way' or simply 'expecting.'

Apparently 'brassiere' is a word no longer in usage. I said it the other day and my daughter cracked up.
I guess it's just 'bra' now. 'Unmentionables' probably wouldn't be understood at all.

I always loved going to the 'picture show,' but I considered 'movie' an affectation.

Most of these words go back to the '50s, but here's a pure '60s word I came across the other day 'rat fink.' Ooh, what a nasty put-down!

Here's a word I miss - 'percolator.' That was just a fun word to say.
And what was it replaced with 'Coffee maker.' How dull... Mr. Coffee, I blame you for this.

I miss those made-up marketing words that were meant to sound so modern and now sound so retro.
Words like 'Dyna Flow' and 'Electrolux' and 'Frigidaire'.
Introducing the 1963 Admiral TV, now with 'Spectra Vision!'

Food for thought. Was there a telethon that wiped out lumbago?
Nobody complains of that anymore. Maybe that's what Castor oil cured, because I never hear mothers threatening kids with Castor Oil anymore.

Some words aren't gone, but are definitelyon the endangered list.
The one that grieves me most is 'supper.' Now everybody says 'dinner.' Save a great word.
Invite someone to supper. Discuss fender skirts.

McT ontheRock71
05-19-14, 08:21 AM
Hey Dave, when you reminisce about automobile nomenclature, how about the words mudflaps or window vents? Most cars today have wheel covers instead of hubcaps and upholstery is used more than seatcovers.

David R 1968
05-19-14, 08:39 AM
Good one Ken, I'll watch for some.

ameriken
05-19-14, 09:00 AM
Some words aren't gone, but are definitely on the endangered list. The one that grieves me most is 'supper.' Now, everybody says 'dinner.' Save a great word. Invite someone to supper - Discuss fender skirts.

And while you're at it, grab a beer from the ice box.

ameriken
05-19-14, 10:23 AM
I remember my parents referring to a car doing 20 mph that was holding up a bunch of traffic behind it as a 'Sunday driver'

carrvy1
05-19-14, 03:48 PM
And while you're at it, grab a beer from the ice box.

How about a beer at the Ice Station very popular in Texas.

David R 1968
08-13-14, 08:55 AM
Lost in the 50s
You may have seen dozens of emails "From the 50s" but this one is the very best I've ever seen and set to music no less. See if you agree. It brings back lots of memories and smiles!! What a wonderful time!! Glad I was a part of it!!

http://safeshare.tv/w/FEDEwZHZXu

RichRich
08-28-14, 12:00 PM
I've been reading these posts a realize that at 65, I'm older than dirt. Thanks marines. Who remembers Kukala, Fran and Ollie? How about Pixann?

Old Marine
08-28-14, 04:52 PM
If you are going to discuss fender skirts, may as well discuss curb feelers.

Old Marine
08-28-14, 04:55 PM
I learned to drive in a 1947 Dodge Fluid Drive.

carrvy1
08-28-14, 07:04 PM
I bought a 47 pontiac for 50 dollars at Camp Pendleton every time I would go up a hill the car would slow down but I always made it up the hill. LOL.

carrvy1
08-28-14, 07:12 PM
Later I bought a 1951 Buick Dynaflow for 300 dollars drove it from California to Camp Lejuene never had one problem. Great car.

Kegler300
08-28-14, 07:18 PM
You bought that brand new, didn't you? ;)

carrvy1
08-28-14, 07:22 PM
You bought that brand new, didn't you? ;)

No, it was used, it was about 6 years old.

Kegler300
08-28-14, 07:29 PM
That would be the year I was born ... you are an old fart!

carrvy1
08-28-14, 08:08 PM
That would be the year I was born ... you are an old fart!

Your so right!!! LOL.

FistFu68
08-28-14, 10:03 PM
I can remember when a Dime Bag was a Dime

Ed Palmer
08-30-14, 02:47 PM
http://czarniklife.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/mime-attachment71.jpg?w=632

David R 1968
09-04-14, 01:50 PM
DID YOU KNOW...
Those who were born in the 30’s to the 60’s are the last generations who played in the street. During our childhood we “walked” over a mile a day when we played & played “hide & seek” outside at night with no worries or fear of anything bad happening to us.

We are the first generation who played video games and the last to record songs off the radio onto a cassette tape. We learned how to program a VCR before anyone else, we were the first to play from Atari to Nintendo…We are the generation of Tom & Jerry, Looney Toons, & Captain Kangaroo. We traveled in cars without seat belts or air bags, lived without cell phones and caller ID. We did not have fax machines, flat screens, surround sound, I pods, Facebook, Twitter, computers or the internet, and through it all we had a great time.

Old Marine
09-04-14, 06:40 PM
I am not older than Dirt, but I was a smedley at the last supper, until they put me into the pot shack.

David R 1968
10-24-14, 04:19 PM
REMEMBER 1955

If they raise the minimum wage
to $1.00, nobody will be able to hire outside help at the store
When I first started driving, who
would have thought gas would someday cost 25 cents a gallon.
Guess we'd be better off leaving the car in the garage.
I'm afraid to send my kids to the movies
any more. Ever since they let Clark Gable get by with
saying DAMN in GONE WITH THE WIND, it seems
every new movie has either HELL or DAMN in it.
I read the other day where some
scientist thinks it's possible to put a man on the moon by
the end of the century. They even have some fellows they
call astronauts preparing for it down in Texas.
Did you see where some baseball player
just signed a contract for$50,000 a year just to play ball? It wouldn't
surprise me if someday they'll be making more than the President.
I never thought I'd see the day all our
kitchen appliances would be electric. They're even making electric typewriters now.

It's too bad things are so tough nowadays.
I see where a few married women are having to work to make ends meet.

It won't be long before young couples are going to have to hire someone to watch their kids so they can both work.

I'm afraid the Volkswagen car is going to open the door to a whole lot of foreign business.

Thank goodness I won't live to see the day
when the Government takes half our income in taxes.
I sometimes wonder if we are electing the best people to government.

The fast food restaurant is convenient for a quick meal,
but I seriously doubt they will ever catch on.

There is no sense going on short
trips anymore for a weekend.
It costs nearly $2.00 a night to stay in a hotel.

No one can afford to be sick anymore.
At $15.00 a day inthe hospital, it's too rich for my blood.

If they think I'll pay 30 cents for a haircut,
Forget it.

Melvin Jeffries
11-03-14, 09:15 PM
I remember most all, even chased the ice truck in summer to get ice chips that broke off when person delivered the ice to peoples ice boxes. Also remember out houses that had bugs, spiders wasps etc. When I visited my grandparents they did not have running water they had a hand pump at the sink that you had to prime and you had to heat water on stove to have hot water to bathe in, they even had the old crank telephone that was in use, this was in the late 40's and eary 50's

David R 1968
11-15-14, 06:06 PM
A nice throw back to the 50’s
Watch the video. If you were alive in the 50's you will be carried away to a softer, gentler, time. If the fifties were your parent's or grandparent's time, you will get some good laughs and maybe see a bit of where we came from but still not understand why we are the way we are... It really was a totally different world in the 50's!!!!!

Those of us at a
"certain" age will enjoy this
video.

http://safeshare.tv/w/FEDEwZHZXu

Old Marine
11-15-14, 08:06 PM
David R 1968. Thanks for posting that 50's video. Things were really easy back then and the country was in much better shape except for the Korean Conflict. I remember everything that was in that video. Brought back some great memories.

David R 1968
01-04-15, 06:19 AM
CONSIDER THIS:
Your kids are becoming you......but your grandchildren are perfect!
Going out is good.. Coming home is better!
You forget names.... But it's OK because some people forgot they even knew you!!!
You realize you're never going to be really good at anything like golf.
The things you used to care to do, you aren't as interested in anymore, but you really do care that you aren't as interested.
You sleep better on a lounge chair with the TV 'ON' than in bed. It's called "pre-sleep".
You miss the days when everything worked with just an "ON" and "OFF" switch..
You tend to use more 4 letter words ... "what?"..."when?"... ???
You notice everything they sell in stores is "sleeveless"?!!!
What used to be freckles are now liver spots.
Everybody whispers.
You have 3 sizes of clothes in your closet.... 2 of which you will never wear.

But Old is good in some things: Old Songs, Old movies, and best of all,OLD FRIENDS!!

David R 1968
01-26-15, 06:51 AM
Good music and videos of the 1950 & 1960
http://biggeekdad.com/2013/01/the-best-of-times/

David R 1968
01-28-15, 07:18 AM
TO ALL THE
KIDS WHO SURVIVED THE
1930s, '40s, '50s,
'60s and '70s!!

First, we survived
Being born to mothers who may have smoked and/or drank
While they were
Pregnant.

They took aspirin,
Ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then, after that
Trauma, we were
Put to sleep
On our tummies
In baby cribs
Covered
With bright colored
Lead-based paints.

We had no
Childproof lids on medicine bottles, locks on doors or cabinets,
And, when we
Rode our bikes,
We had baseball
Caps,
Not helmets, on
Our heads.

As infants and
Children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, no booster seats, no seat belts,
No air bags, bald tires and sometimes no brakes..

Riding in the
Back of a pick- up truck on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water
From the garden hose and not from a bottle.

We shared one
Soft drink with four friends, from one bottle, and no one actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes,
White bread, real butter, and bacon. We drank Kool-Aid made with real white sugar.
And we weren't overweight.
WHY?

Because we were
Always outside playing...that's why!

We would leave
Home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights
Came on.
No one was
Able to reach us all day.
--And, we were
OKAY.

We would spend
Hours building
Our go-carts out
Of scraps
And then ride
Them down the hill,
Only to find
Out we forgot the brakes.. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned
To solve the problem..

We did not
Have Play Stations, Nintendos and X-boxes. There were
No video games,
No 150 channels on cable,
No video movies
Or DVDs,
No surround-sound or
CDs,
No cell phones,
No personal computers,
No Internet and
No chat rooms.

WE HAD FRIENDS
And we went
Outside and found them!

We fell out
Of trees, got cut,
Broke bones and
Teeth,
And there were
No lawsuits
From those accidents.

We would get
Spankings with wooden spoons, switches, ping-pong paddles, or just a bare hand,
And no one would call child services to report abuse.

We ate worms,
And mud pies
Made from dirt,
And
The worms did
Not live in us forever.

We were given
BB guns for our 10th birthdays, 22 rifles for our 12th, rode horses,made up games with sticks and tennis balls, and

-although we were
Told it would happen- we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes
Or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just
Walked in and talked to them.

Little League had
Tryouts
And not everyone
Made the team.
Those who didn't
Had to learn
To deal with
Disappointment.

Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing
Us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

These generations have
Produced some of the best risk-takers,
Problem solvers, and
Inventors ever.

The past 50
To 85 years have seen an explosion of innovation and new ideas..

We had freedom,
Failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.