Story by Cpl. Ryan D. Libbert <br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
CAMP HANSEN, Okinawa, Japan --...

firstsgtmike
12-07-03, 04:57 AM
The Marine Corps takes care of its own.

The CCU Platoon is a recognition that an individual needs more assistance than can be provided on the local level.

I am a believer that "if a student fails to learn, it is because the teacher failed to teach."

The few Marines that I had to pass up the chain as being beyond MY capabilities to handle, I considered a failure on my part. I failed them, and I failed the Corps.

Thankfully, those I had to pass up the chain, were not responsible to me, nor I to them. But I remember each and every one of them, with pain.

Am I unique? Hell NO! I am a Marine Staff NCO. (Who eventually became a First Sergeant of Marines).

TracGunny
12-07-03, 07:03 AM
"if a student fails to learn, it is because the teacher failed to teach." You can push a rock to the finish line, but it's still a rock, and will go no farther unless someone else starts pushing.

I have two siblings in the education biz, one Jr. High, the other college, blaming the teacher for every students failure to learn is wrong. Some cannot, and others will not be taught, I do not care who tries to teach them.

If a recruit fails to pass the minimum requirements to graduate and is released, do we kick out the DI for failure to Teach?

I agree that "second chances" and working with problems in special enviroments is the right thing to do, and does have successes. However, a line must be drawn and the individual held personally accountable in the end for their success or failure and sent on their merry way when the STUDENT fails.

Too much time and resources are lost by leaders at every level dealing with the "10%" - give them their "second chance" and if that fails, give them the boot. Not everyone is cut out to be a Marine, even though they may survive and graduate from Boot Camp because of the numbers game and make it to the FMF.

gixxerblade
05-26-10, 07:15 PM
New to the forum. Thanks for having me. Thought I would inject life back into this one. I am currently at the Staff Academy and have to do a point paper. The subject I chose was to bring back CCU. I remember back a few years back we would have Marines dreading getting into minor trouble for the fear of ending up in CCU but those that did managed to keep their noses clean. What does the rest of you say?

Big Jim
05-26-10, 07:26 PM
WOW...I can't believe this thread is almost 7 years old...!!!

sgt tony
05-26-10, 07:28 PM
Hey I went in to the CCP in boot camp due to my need of a smoke and they made me a beliver. <br />
<br />
I made it 12 years and was medical discharged I would do it all over except the smoking.