PDA

View Full Version : High-altitude lifesaving "Doc" decorated

thedrifter
12-06-03, 08:00 PM
Submitted by: MCB Camp Pendleton
Story Identification Number: 200312520144
Story by Sgt. Enrique S. Diaz

MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP PENDLETON, Calif.(Nov. 26, 2003) -- Quick thinking, accurate assessment and a cool head came together to allow a Camp Pendleton Navy hospital corpsman to save the life of a Marine. For that, he was decorated here last week.

Navy Petty Officer 3rd Class Michael V. Rakebrandt may think that saving lives is just part of the job, but to Marines like Lance Cpl. David J. Silton it means a second chance.

On Nov. 26, Rakebrandt was awarded the Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal for accurately diagnosing Silton with life-threatening acute mountain sickness while their unit, Weapons Company, 2nd Battalion, 4th Marine Regiment, was training at the Marine Corps Mountain Warfare Training Center in Bridgeport Sept. 23.

Had Rakebrandt not understood the condition was worse than it appeared, the Marine could have died.

"If you don't recognize it, you would accidentally diagnose it as a regular cold or just dizzy spells," said Navy Petty Officer 1st Class David P. Carbungco, a hospital corpsman in Rakebrandt's unit. "In this case, Doc Rakebrandt was on the spot and took that chance and made the call."

No one is more appreciative of Rakebrandt than Silton.

"My wife and my son are very thankful for what he has done," Silton said. "He saved my life, he gave me a second chance at life and I realize what I could have lost."

Silton fell ill during the mountain training. Initially, no one thought the condition was serious. But on closer inspection, Rakebrant saw that what seemed routine was actually a matter of life and death.

"When Silton went down, we thought he was dehydrated. But that was not the case, it was something more serious," said Capt. Robert S. Weiler, Weapons Company's commanding officer. "He got us to change our routine medical evacuation to an urgent medical evacuation."

Rakebrandt accompanied Silton in the back of a humvee to a helicopter landing zone where he saw his condition worsening. Silton was suffering from respiratory arrest.

He administered a liter of fluid to help with Silton's pulse, repositioning the Marine's head and placed an air securing device in Silton's mouth to help his breathing.

Rakenbrandt then gave Silton a shot of epinephrine for fear of anaphylactic shot, a routine treatment for the high altitude according to Navy Lt. Kenneth Y. Son, 2nd Bn.'s surgeon.

Doctors said Rakebrandt could always be relied upon to perform.

"If I were a devil dog in the middle of Sunni Triangle (Iraq), I want Rakebrandt standing next to me," Son said.

"When it gets tough out there in a time of war, he's the type of guy that would prevail and take care of his Marines," added Navy Petty Officer 1st Class Roger L. Brisley, a 2nd Bn. corpsman.

Silton said the incident left him more confident.

"Don't be afraid to perform," he said. "Your corpsman will be there to take care of you, just like mine took care of me".

But throughout all of the attention, Rakebrandt has remained humble.

"I don't think what I did was any more special than what any of the other corpsman would have done," he said. "Nobody was getting any sleep, there was a lot of moving parts that kept Lance Corporal Silton alive."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/EB9EE797408FFD6185256DF40006C801?opendocument

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

Doc Crow
12-31-03, 01:21 PM
WAY to GO DOC. Makes me proud to have him on the team

Shooter
12-31-03, 01:35 PM
Always did like corpsmen especially after one saved me. Semper Fi

Doc Crow
01-02-04, 01:29 PM
We have to save you cause we hate dragging bodies out. easier to medavac then anything

Shooter
01-02-04, 01:31 PM
ROFLMAO!

jfreas
01-02-04, 08:40 PM
Corpsmen are Marimes 911. Wouldn't want it anyother way.