PDA

View Full Version : Non traditonal HS diploma question?

Countrygirl
01-19-13, 07:14 PM
So I've been homeschooled since 5th grade, and plan on graduating as a homeschooler. How much harder, for me, will it be to enlist in the Corps with a non-traditional diploma? I have records of all my school work, and my grades, what curriculums I have used, and all that jazz. Is there any extra steps I will have to go through to enlist because of my nt diploma? Thank you for your responses.

Lisa 23
01-19-13, 08:05 PM
You just turned 15 years old a few months ago....not old enough to even talk with a recruiter.
I suggest when you're old enough, 17 years old, go and talk with a recruiter face to face to get the most current and up-to-date info on this.

Zulu 36
01-20-13, 03:57 AM
I am a homeschooling parent. Technically, the military is supposed to recognize a HS diploma, regardless of source, for Tier I. As a practical matter, NT diplomas seem to throw recruiters for a loop. As SoftballCatch stated, recruiters can't officially talk to you until after you turn 17.

If you are finishing HS early I suggest you take some college classes. At least 15-credit hours of 100 level or above. This automatically places you in educational Tier I and there should be no argument about your diploma source. If you have to kill time between HS grad and enlistment, college is the place to do it.

Have you looked into dual-enrollment courses at the local community college and kill two birds with one stone?