PDA

View Full Version : Rifle Quailification

Myboysanexpert2
01-15-13, 11:18 PM
I'm new to this site, but I'm curious about the qualification. My son, who went to Parris Island boot camp in Aug. 2011, one month after his 17th b-day, shot expert with a 332 score. (3rd highest in that recruit group of 587) He was born with good shooting abilities. His MOS is helicopter mech (CH-53) @ MCAS New River. He re-qualified there in Oct. 2012 with a 342, which he told me (after much coercion) was 3 pts. below the record on that range. I should add that all this was with the M16A4. My question, as a proud dad, is how many ranges are there on a typical base? He won't give me any further info. That fits his new makeup as a very humble young man, which is a big change from the kid that left home 18 months ago. In addition to being very proud of the changes he's made in his outlook on life, I'm curious as to how his shooting stacks up in relation to the great marksmen the USMC puts out. Also, he has not, as far as I know, had any pistol training as yet. Is that common now? Thanks in advance for any help, and thanks for being part of the great organization my son joined.

josephd
01-15-13, 11:33 PM
I'm new to this site, but I'm curious about the qualification. My son, who went to Parris Island boot camp in Aug. 2011, one month after his 17th b-day, shot expert with a 332 score. (3rd highest in that recruit group of 587) He was born with good shooting abilities. His MOS is helicopter mech (CH-53) @ MCAS New River. He re-qualified there in Oct. 2012 with a 342, which he told me (after much coercion) was 3 pts. below the record on that range. I should add that all this was with the M16A4. My question, as a proud dad, is how many ranges are there on a typical base? He won't give me any further info. That fits his new makeup as a very humble young man, which is a big change from the kid that left home 18 months ago. In addition to being very proud of the changes he's made in his outlook on life, I'm curious as to how his shooting stacks up in relation to the great marksmen the USMC puts out. Also, he has not, as far as I know, had any pistol training as yet. Is that common now? Thanks in advance for any help, and thanks for being part of the great organization my son joined.

this thread is over a year old, you should have started a new one with your question.

But to answer your question....the amount of ranges on a base depends on what kind of base it is. If he is at an air wing base like New River there is probably only one. If he was at a larger base like Pendleton there is quite a few.

Not taking anything away from your son's shooting ability but all Marines qualify with a M16A4 and a RCO(shooting optic/scope).

Getting a pistol qualification is based on your MOS, rank, and whether or not you rate to carry a pistol. Being a mechanic he wouldn't rate a pistol so he wouldn't qual on one. Sometimes commands will allow Marines to qual with a pistol as an award or incentive.

Tennessee Top
01-16-13, 12:20 AM
Since we're on the subject of shooting and ranges please allow me just a couple short stories.

Spiders. One year at Camp Pendleton there was a black widow infestation in the target sheds and butts area. Didn't stop us from requalification; they issued all hands thick work gloves and had extra corpsmen with antivenom injections in their medical bags (don't remember anybody being bitten). Another time (San Onofre area), it was mating season for tarantulas and they would come down out of the mountains. I was shooting in the prone position and noticed some movement out of the corner of one eye. After the range officer called "cease fire", I sat up, looked, and saw that it was a big hairy tarantula sitting just inches from where my face was.

Rain. Requalled in the rain one year (didn't start raining till we were over halfway through the KD course). Remember sitting and lying in a mud puddle. Got real interesting when the targets started peeling off the pasted cheesecloths. Guess they didn't want to cancel qual day and have to send us back another day.

Myboysanexpert2
01-18-13, 09:22 AM
Joseph; I truly appreciate the reply to my post. I'm trying to use the advice you gave me, but can't seem to figure how to start a new thread. (dating myself there) One thing; I only mentioned the rifle my son used because I'm not familiar with how often the Corps changes weapons, not to mean it was tougher with that rifle. He did though, in bootcamp, shoot his 332 w/o any RCO. 48/50 in the circle @ 500 yds w/iron sights. That did impress me. He said at that distance, the entire silhouette is hidden behind the front sight post. I used to shoot pretty well, but I couldn't imagine doing that. I wonder what the drop is with the .556 @ 500 yds? Probably you know the answer. Thanks again.

thewookie
01-18-13, 09:40 AM
I wonder what the drop is with the .556 @ 500 yds?

Assuming a 62 grain bullet,,, you are looking at a 60 inch drop with a 100 yard zero.

good reference source is here http://www.ballisticards.com/

You son did good. At 500 yards the room for error is very small. But that gun, is very capable all the way back to 1000.

ChuckH
01-18-13, 09:41 AM
Started a new thread for the OP's question.

FaDeD
01-18-13, 09:58 AM
Assuming a 62 grain bullet,,, you are looking at a 60 inch drop with a 100 yard zero.

good reference source is here http://www.ballisticards.com/

You son did good. At 500 yards the room for error is very small. But that gun, is very capable all the way back to 1000.

not to step on your toes wookie but the Maximum Effect Range of the m16a4 is
Area target: 2,624.8 feet (800 meters)
Point target: 1,804.5 feet (550 meters)

anything beyond that is not accurate

thewookie
01-18-13, 10:58 AM
anything beyond that is not accurate You are not stepping on my toes, you just don't know any better. ;) I thought the same thing until I went to a Highpower XC match at Camp Perry. Hell I was skeptical that anyone could consistently hit a target at 600 yards. Then I saw how large the targets are.Both the Marine Rifle Team and USAMU use M16s at 1000yd. service rifle matches. Sure they're match prepared rifles, not rack grade - but they can and do. You got some free education today, Devil. http://www.odcmp.com/NM.htm

Myboysanexpert2
01-19-13, 01:26 PM
Chuck, I certainly appreciate your work on my behalf. That's very thoughtful of you. This site is very quickly becoming a favorite of mine. It's people such as you that make it a great forum. Thanks again!

Myboysanexpert2
01-19-13, 01:42 PM
Quote from Wookie "I thought the same thing until I went to a Highpower XC match at Camp Perry. Hell I was skeptical that anyone could consistently hit a target at 600 yards. Then I saw how large the targets are.Both the Marine Rifle Team and USAMU use M16s at 1000yd. service rifle matches. Sure they're match prepared rifles, not rack grade - but they can and do."

Wookie, Like you, that's something I'd almost have to see to believe, too. After trying the M4 with my son, I went to the 500 yd. range where he put 48 of 50 in a 12"(?) circle with his M16A4 and iron sights. I was stunned. With little means of figuring windage, never mind the 60" drop plus the fact that the target is totally hidden behind the front sight post, the fact that those instructors taught "my little boy" to do that in 3 field days is simply amazing. To picture guys being accurate at double that range with that rifle is almost​ beyond belief.

CarolinaChuck
01-19-13, 03:31 PM
Ooh-Rah! to the young Marine, that is good shooting. I shot the M16A1 and qualed at 200, 300 and 500 KD courses, most were in yards still back then.

Someone with a better memory than mine will have to check this, But I recall being taught to set point of aim at center mass at the 200 yard line; this would give you a 3 click come-up going to the 300, and then a 5 click come-up and fliping to the long range rear aperture back at the 500.

Once out of boot camp I quickly learned that may not be the best way to qualify, starting with 200 yard center mass point of aim on the 5.65 nato round.

I found that it was easier for me to qualify with that round starting with rifle sighted in at 300 yards center mass point of aim. This gave a 6 o'clock point of aim at 200 yards because the ballistics of the round was almost a perfect 6 inchs high at 200 yards (acually like 5.8 inches). That left me with only a 3 click come-up back to the 500 yard line if I held a point of aim at the B-Mod shoulder high and the head on top of the front sight post; the rounds would drop right into the meat of the target.

I am not sure how the grunts did it back then with the A1 as I was a Ground Radio Repairman, so I kind of came about it by being a techy dude when it came to numbers...

Now, a 12" (Able Target) at 500 yards; if I was asked to try it with the A1, I would see if that thing had enough elevation to hold a 6 O'clock sight picture (point of aim), just to get the target in some field of view. Never tried it. Back in my day, if you could shoot that well, they let you play with the M14; something I never got a chance to do in the Corps.

Welcome to the brotherhood,
Chuck

Tennessee Top
01-19-13, 03:48 PM
The USMC is world renown for a number of things like being the first to fight, tenacious fighters, excellent at close order drill, spit-n-polish, etc. One of those things is outstanding marksmanship. There is a famous quote (author unknown) that goes something like "the deadliest weapon system on the modern battlefield is a Marine and his rifle".

thewookie
01-22-13, 09:23 AM
To picture guys being accurate at double that range with that rifle is almost​ beyond belief.

It is awesome. And seeing it definitely helps believing it! Like I said though, those rifles are not off the rack nor is the ammo standard. And the shooters, well they are some of the best in the world. I have shot back to the 700 with iron sights with a match M16 -- we had 700 yards at Dam Neck. And at that distance you have to have a lot of things go right to make a hit. Not easy at all. And, 1000 -- I only shot 1,000 with a DMR at range 4 in Quantico, with optics, but never with a M16 or anything else with iron sights.

SGT7477
01-22-13, 09:53 PM
The USMC is world renown for a number of things like being the first to fight, tenacious fighters, excellent at close order drill, spit-n-polish, etc. One of those things is outstanding marksmanship. There is a famous quote (author unknown) that goes something like "the deadliest weapon system on the modern battlefield is a Marine and his rifle".

Top, Marines have always Done It Best, OOHRAH,Semper Fidelis.