PDA

View Full Version : How can I get a better runtime on my IST?

Prospect
01-16-13, 11:05 AM
I had my first group workout and I found out I suck at running. I kept cramping up and running out of breath. What are some ways to help me improve my overall stamina and endurance? (My time was a 16:04)

Tennessee Top
01-16-13, 11:30 AM
Welcome to the club. Running never was one of my strengths but fortunately, I was able to max out the pull-ups and sit-ups so with just a decent run time still able to score a first class PFT. Different training techniques work best for different people so you're likely to get a lot of varied opinions. If you run at the same pace all the time in training you'll never get any faster; you need to train your leg muscles to work faster. For me, that meant incorporating sprints in my training regime. Just go to a track, sprint for 220 yards, walk 220, sprint another 220, and continue. Give max effort every sprint for best results. Take a stopwatch and keep track of your times so you can see improvement. Alternate sprint work with long distance running to increase endurance. Make sure you stretch and warm-up/cool-down with each session. Running injuries like stress fractures, shin splints, etc. are common (especially for beginners) and will stop you from training all together.

For cramping, make sure to stay well hydrated (drink more water than you want) and eat foods high in potassium like bananas.

Kegler300
01-16-13, 01:57 PM
As Tennessee Top stated above, you want to incorporate sprints into your running regime. Running sprints works your fast-twitching muscles which increases your speed, and running distance works your slow-twitching muscles which increases your endurance for distance.

Tennessee Top
01-16-13, 03:59 PM
It is vital you invest in quality running shoes that will fit properly and provide the support your feet/legs need (no gym shoes, cross-trainers, etc.). When it comes to running shoes, you get what you pay for so don't be afraid to spend some bucks. If you try to get off cheap you'll pay for it eventually.

josephd
01-17-13, 05:47 PM
1.5m in 16 minutes??....WOW

I am not trying to be demeaning or anything.....you need to just push yourself out of your comfort zone. I suck at and hate running but I still have a decent PFT. It is going to hurt either way, whether you run it slow or fast it's gonna suck, you might as well make it worth while and make it count.

Stretching and hydration will play a HUGE part in whether or not you'll cramp up and how quickly you'll tire. So be sure to stretch(not just before/after you run but everyday) and drink a LOT of water.

thewookie
01-18-13, 08:20 AM
Lift them up and put them down.

Nothing helps you get better at running, like running.

Drink lots of water, stretch, and wear good sneaks.

Get off the couch, put down the smart phone and get it done.

Are you working out with the Plymouth recruiters or Quincy?

Talk is cheap, how bad do you want it?

Good luck.