View Full Version : Cancun

Apache
12-26-12, 12:02 PM
I have a friend (young lady)
Mid 20s and attractive
Kinda think of her as a daughter----

She's going to Cancun 6 Jan for a week.

Question is are there any Marines in the Area I could give her
Contact info for just in case of her needing any assistance ?

I don't foresee any problems,but ----

josephd
12-26-12, 12:15 PM
20 year old attractive girl x alcohol + a Marine???

=BAD DECISIONS!!

what's her number?

Apache
12-26-12, 03:38 PM
Yeah----Yeah I know ----
Say again, I think of her as a Daughter

Intent is to provide her with support if needed
Ideal would be a brother in the area----

Old Marine
12-26-12, 05:11 PM
Been there and done that. One you have been anywhere in Mexico you have seen all of Mexico. At this time, all of Mexico is very unsafe. They would love having tourists visit their country, bu they have way too much killing going on down there. Who needs it.

Apache
12-26-12, 05:17 PM
I agree Willie
But you know how it is when a youngster gets it in Thier head to do something

Chances are ya won't change Thier mind so you attempt to make it as safe as possible.

Old Marine
12-26-12, 07:16 PM
About the best you can do is tell her to constantly watch her back and never believe anything that they are trying to convey to her. Remind her that once she crosses into that country she loses any rights she might have had and is at their mercy.

Apache
12-26-12, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the solid advice
Will communicate to her

Marinemom32
12-28-12, 08:30 AM
If she stays on the resort that she is staying in, she should be pretty safe. It is when you leave the resort that you have to be very very careful. It just might be unsafe for her to go on any day trips or excurrsions.

Apache
12-28-12, 09:35 AM
Marine Mom
Thanks
All input welcome.

Being a Mom you understand ---when younguns get an idea in Thier head ----

Marinemom32
12-28-12, 09:44 AM
Yes Beleive me I know! They won't stop until they get what they want. I went a few years ago, before all this started happening and had a really good time. Tell her to stay clear of taxi's and just take the bus they run every 15 minutes ( which were really clean) If she happens to leave her resort.

Tennessee Top
12-28-12, 04:25 PM
Been to Cancun and agree with Marinemom32. Only industry there is tourism so they depend on the tourists coming back often. Can't do that if the area has a bad reputation for safety. I never felt threatened while there (and we did venture away from the hotel area) but I am a man and was never alone. Different situation entirely for a young lady; there are many wolves out there in totally different disguises preying on the weak and looking to take advantage of their opportunities. Most appear harmless but by the time you realize differently it's too late.

We were on our shuttle bus from the airport to our hotel with the bus stopping at several locations along the way. There was a young American we talked to briefly who was travelling alone (his FIRST mistake). His story was someone planted some drugs inside his duffle bag. Of course, the police busted him and threw him in the Cancun jail (not a good situation obviously). They let him stay in there a couple days to get a taste of life inside a Mexican jail cell. He went in front of the local magistrate who of course had the evidence against him. They gave him a choice of going to a Mexican prison for a long time for drug trafficking or paying a fine (they would arrange it so he could contact family back in the states to have money wired to him). He was released as soon as he got the several thousand dollars from his family. By that time, all he wanted to do was get out of the country ASAP.

You did not mention if your friend is travelling alone, with a companion, or a group. If going alone, she is asking for trouble, and you should do everything in your power to stop her.

Apache
12-30-12, 08:00 AM
She is going with another young lady----

Thanks T.T.