PDA

View Full Version : Approved waiver for past drug use. How does it work?

Romeo1216
12-23-12, 02:00 AM
Hey Marines, Im new to the whole forum thing, so my bad if i break any rules,etc . So I'll begin by introducing myself, names romeo. Ive been talking to a recruiter for sometime now. I have told him about my use with marijuana,(BTW i smoked 16x,if that matters), ever since then i chose not to go down that road any further b/c I realized my goal is to become a marine. I haven't smoked since 11/22/12 and i now show up clean twice on the OTC "first check" drug tests. My recruiter told me I was approved for the waiver, well any ways the bottom line is How does the waiver work? what if i fail the drug tests at meps (which is in 5 days for me) b/c they have a stronger drug test? Will i be DQ'd to join? any input would be appreciated, like i said im new to this forum thing sorry about the long post, im just really concerned about my goals being crushed

Romeo1216
12-23-12, 02:17 AM
Oh I just found the rules, and I see you were supposed to use proper punctuation, again I apologize for my newbie mistakes.

ChuckH
12-23-12, 02:18 AM
THREAD CLOSED.
We aren't "fellas" we are Marines, address us so..
Fill out your profile with more than just a name.
Site rules.
Site Rules: http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?103170-Ask-a-Marine-forum-rules-NO-PROFILE-NO-ANSWERS!!!-READ-BEFORE-POSTING-MARINES-TOO! Contact any Squad Leader to reopen thread when profile is filled out.

ChuckH
12-23-12, 08:05 AM
Profile completed.
Thread unlocked.

Romeo1216
12-23-12, 08:08 AM
Thank you ChuckH

Romeo1216
12-23-12, 10:08 AM
Alright to make this post more clear, what happens if i fail the drug test at meps even with the waiver?

Lisa 23
12-23-12, 10:26 AM
IF you haven't smoked marijuana since you last said you did, then you shouldn't have nothing to worry about.

Romeo1216
12-23-12, 11:32 AM
sweet, thanks for the comment.

Tennessee Top
12-24-12, 12:01 AM
I have seen on here where poolees passed the drug test administered by their recruiter but then failed the one at MEPS later (because it is more sensitive maybe) and were then DQ'd. Keep your fingers crossed and don't count your chickens before they hatch. Let us know what happens. If you do skate by then consider yourself lucky and learn from the experience. You will be tested again at bootcamp (if you make it that far) and randomly out in the fleet for as long as you're in. There is zero tolerance (no second chances) and, as you can see, we take drug and alcohol abuse very seriously. If you know you have a problem staying away from that crap, you should look for a different career and don't waste the Government's time/money because you WILL get caught eventually.

Romeo1216
12-25-12, 12:44 AM
Well staying away from that is no problem, but just hearing that story is scaring the **** out of me. I tested negative 3x on the over the counter "first check"home drug test. Any ways how does the waiver protect me from being DQ'd? I told my recruiter everything,I didn't sign anything, but he told me that my waiver was approved.

Tennessee Top
12-25-12, 11:47 AM
Only telling you what I've seen posted on here. Doesn't mean it will happen to you but it if it does that way you won't be surprised.

Basically, a waiver means you are being forgivin your passed sins (in your case drugs). It could save you if the worse happens. Can't remember if any of the posts I saw in the past about popping positive at MEPS and being DQ'd involved somebody with an approved waiver. Never been a recruiter and don't want to give you bum scoop. I would say trust what your recruiter is telling you and again, let us know how it works out so when others search your question in the future, they will be able to read your story.

Romeo1216
12-29-12, 09:23 AM
Alright so I took a test at the recruiters before going to MEPS and tested negative, I was approved of the MJ usage waiver within 2 minutes, got my ship date, and did my oath.