PDA

View Full Version : NROTC scholarship interview

TLossos
12-18-12, 09:11 PM
I went to my interview today with an officer regarding my NROTC scholarship application. My question is regarding him asking me numerous times if I have taken any advanced electronic/technical/math classes after high school. I just graduated in 2012, and was planning on shipping out for boot camp in January. However due to my age and the MOS I received, I am now scheduled for April 22nd. Since I was scheduled to leave in January, I neglected going to college for this year.

Having said this, do any of you Marines think that they will take that into consideration that I was planning on leaving in January, therefor I didn't take any advanced classes after high school? Also, should I try and somehow find a way into a class or two at the local community college for the upcoming semester? I just want anything that can improve my odds of getting the scholarship. I'm already looking into more community service deeds I can do (Not only for the scholarship, I'm actually fairly good at doing community service regardless)

Just a note: I scored decent on my PFT, 271. Will remain working on that. ACT was a 24 (kinda low for the scholarship) and my asvab was a 77. I'm not sure how good of a chance I have with these scores as it is. Any tips any of you Marines have on these things as well would be helpful.

I guess the main answer I'm looking for is if the classes this upcoming semester would help or not in your opinion.

Thank you

josephd
12-18-12, 09:14 PM
Maybe I am uninformed/ignorant on how NROTC scholarships work but if you are enlisting and already have a ship date for boot camp why are you concerned about a NROTC scholarship??...You won't be able to use it until after you get out.

TLossos
12-18-12, 09:18 PM
I enlisted back when it was too late to have a shot at the scholarship my graduating year. Having a chance to apply now since I'm leaving later, my recruiter/s have helped me out and are even encouraging me to take the chance I have to get it now. I know that Marines don't look at enlisting as a "stepping stone" to becoming an officer, but enlisting is the only way I was able to get college paid for somehow, so that was my only option towards working on my goal of becoming an officer.

Hope that clears that up Josephd

josephd
12-18-12, 09:30 PM
it does and thank you....I would never knock someone who applies for any sort of military scholarship, I was just curious.

In my opinion I wouldn't even worry about the scholarship, still try to get it but don't concern yourself with it much. When you finish your 4 years of active duty you will rate the Post 9/11 GI Bill. Which pays your tuition and you'll get a living expense(based on the area you live in/what school you go to).

TLossos
12-18-12, 09:34 PM
I'm looking at it this way, if I get it. GREAT. I'll go to school and earn my commission. If not, I got the MOS I wanted and will go to active duty and use the G.I Bill like you said. I'm just trying to improve my odds I guess, that is what they are looking for right? Someone that wants it bad enough to do whatever it takes.

Like you said though, I'm not too entirely concerned. I believe it is a win/win situation for me since I did get the MOS I wanted.

josephd
12-19-12, 12:04 AM
ya know I am not sure what they are looking for in a NROTC scholarship candidate. But I know if it's anything like getting a PLC or OCC package going for OCS then yes, as long as you have the grades, the PFT/CFT scores, and show that it is really what you want you're eligible and competitive.