PDA

View Full Version : Not taking Active unless Im in HS?

EndlessForever
12-16-12, 02:05 PM
First of thanks for any help I appreciate it.
Secondly Ive been planning on the Marine Corps for A while since HS but I was Very out of shape 6 months ago when I graduated And the recruiter basically outlined where I needed to be to even go to MEPS. Well its now 6 months later and Ive shedded the weight and Can now pass the IST and everything easily.

However A couple of days ago I sat down with my Recruiter only to have him tell me that they are not taking active unless your a HS Senior, And Id either have to Hold out for a long time or go reserves and leave in March. Is this true? Im Only 18 And didn't think Id have an issue like this even tho I understand the Marine Corps is at a draw down at the moment.

EndlessForever
12-16-12, 05:49 PM
To Clarify I just want to know if this is just a recruiter trying to fill his reserve quota or a Nationwide thing just doesn't seem right that being in or out of highschool would make such a difference.

BrandonLehr
12-26-12, 11:01 PM
Endlesspower,

I would call another recruiting station or request another recruiter. I don't understand what your recruiter is saying, but it doesn't make sense. If you graduated high school, what difference does it make if you a current senior or not.

Hope this helped,
Lcpl Lehr

josephd
12-26-12, 11:22 PM
Endlesspower,

I would call another recruiting station or request another recruiter. I don't understand what your recruiter is saying, but it doesn't make sense. If you graduated high school, what difference does it make if you a current senior or not.

Hope this helped,
Lcpl Lehr

You have to understand where the Marine Corps is heading and trying to go now. Just like with OSOs only taking PLC/current college students for commissioning packages(active duty anyway), the enlisted side is trying to take poolees/recruits in as young as they can in order to develop them younger and make them more career oriented. This is a DoD wide thing that is happening. This is also cheaper, younger recruits out of HS aren't married yet, don't have kids(usually), have less baggage/issues than say a 22 year old would.

I am sure your recruiter is trying to fill a reserve quota but I highly doubt it has anything to do with him telling you that he won't take you for active duty. Go and speak with another recruiter but don't be surprised if you hear the same. You just need to understand that the Marine Corps and other branches have the luxury of picking and choosing who they want to let in now.

Tennessee Top
12-27-12, 03:39 PM
If it makes you feel better, talk to another recruiter. When that recruiter tells you something you don't like, go talk to #3. When #3 does not give you what you want, go see #4. Keep going until, eventually, you run out of recruiters or realize you may have to just settle for what is being offered to you. Or, go talk to the Army (they may still take senior citizens like yourself).