PDA

View Full Version : What needs to be on dogtags

s4m222
12-12-12, 02:39 PM
buying replacement dogtags, is there a reg about the info needed on them?

I dont mind the full name, bloodtype, branch, gasmask size, religion but was wondering if i could skip the full social security number?

Old Marine
12-12-12, 02:58 PM
All the info that was on the original set should be on the replacement. I am sure that if any the info that was on the original ones was not necessary they would not have put it on them. If you have a problem with it, check with the Company GySgt.

Old Marine
12-12-12, 03:01 PM
Sorry about the dbl post.

I'll fix it for you Willie.

Rocky

s4m222
12-12-12, 03:12 PM
I dont necessarily have a problem with them. Just considering, "what if..." scenarios.

what if i lose them
what if i give a pair to someone(girlfriend/sister)...
what if they lose them...
etc

I guess i could make sanitized ones to give them, but that doesnt eliminate the first possibility... albeit rather unlikely.

*havent been able to find a solid answer state specifically what needs to be on them*

Kegler300
12-12-12, 03:13 PM
Surname
First and middle initials,blood group
Social Security Number with no dashes, but spaced
Branch ("USMC"):*Gas mask size
Religious preference (or "NO PREFERENCE") or medical allergy if red medical tag.

https://www.armydogtags.com/prodimages/usmc.jpg

Old Marine
12-12-12, 03:38 PM
In reply to the what if's.

See Post #2.

Apache
12-12-12, 06:49 PM
Sometimes we may question the regulations--
Just keep in mind THERE IS A REASON FOR EVERYTHING
In addition see post 2

s4m222
12-12-12, 07:06 PM
just to clarify, I wasnt questioning the regs... I was unable to actually find anything stating what exactly needed to be on them. Since there are small discrepancies such as in the picture above it shows a Full first name, while the ones issued to me just have an initial.

I was simply looking for clearcut answer which you guys gave. Ill just replicate the ones issued to me as suggested.

BGW
12-12-12, 08:27 PM
Hey man I would not put your full social on your dog tags, there is no reason to expose your self to that kind of risk. You probably received the new military ID's right? The one's that do not have your social on it but has some other number on it? I do not know what that number is called buts its suppose to help reduce your risk to identity thefts.

Old Marine
12-12-12, 08:42 PM
What if you lose the original ones?
If you get replacement ones to give to Suzy or your sister, I personally would not put my SS# on those.

If you are going to wear them, then they should be the same as the originals.

Old Marine
12-12-12, 08:43 PM
Sorry about the dbl post.

I'll fix it for you Willie.

Rocky

Thank you very much, Rocky.

Tennessee Top
12-12-12, 09:00 PM
There is a manual outlining the required info as well as the correct format to be used. Check with your IPAC or S-1 and follow the guidelines; pretty simple. As far as gifts to civilians...who cares (they will never be battle casualties).

Apache
12-13-12, 12:26 PM
Another thought for you----
I understand the --future--- is not now on your radar----

A FEW mementos from the Corps are great things to leave for future generations
I still have original issue dog tags. Original issue awards. Original Blues
Some orders other small stuff to leave for my children grandchildren