PDA

View Full Version : Proud dad of a new Marine

Mlrtime
12-09-12, 03:56 PM
My son completed the Crucible yesterday, Sat. Dec 8 and according to a schedule I've been following, on that day they also earn their Marine emblem. I guess at that point, he and his Platoon 3096 of Kilo Company, 3rd Battalion. lose their Recruit status and are legitimately Marines. Yes?

On the 2nd day as a new recruit at Parris Island his SSGT named him as Platoon guide. It was his to loose. As of his last letter home this past Mon. he was still Guide. He was commanded by his SSGT to go and see the Company Commander. The Captain informed him that he had earned the Platoon Honor Graduate status.

My hat size went up three full sizes from the moment I read that!

I have been led to understand that as Platoon guide you are eligible for a promotion, also Honor Graduate is eligible for promotion. Does this mean he might possibly be promoted to E2 and then to E3 before graduation?

Any DI's here or anyone else that might know?

I've also heard that on Sunday after the Crucible the new Marines are allowed a phone call home. Since we got home from church we have been hoping for a call. I have all sorts of stuff to finish for our trip to PI but am afraid to go anywhere for fear that I may miss his call.

Rocky C
12-09-12, 04:20 PM
Congrats Dad to You and Your Son.

Don't worry about the phone call, most are at the PX.
You will see him shortly anyway.

About your other question, I won't say, be surprised !!!

Best of luck on your trip and don't forget to have our " New Brother " join the Forum.

Mlrtime
12-09-12, 04:53 PM
Thank you Sir. I want to know so much and after twelve weeks without a word I can't stand it anymore!!

:grin

Rocky C
12-09-12, 04:58 PM
Hahahahaha.

You don't have to call me Sir. You are " Marine Family ".
Rocky would be fine.

Mlrtime
12-09-12, 05:45 PM
Thanks Rocky!

I am Millertime but since that was already taken... Mlrtime

Claire527
12-09-12, 06:31 PM
Congratulations to your son, Sir! You must be one proud dad, and certainly have the right to be!

Old Marine
12-09-12, 09:25 PM
WOW, sounds like he has been platoon guide throughout his whole tour of Recruit Training. You should be very proud of him as that is not usually a normal action that takes place. Most guides do not last more than two or three days before they get fired for one thing or another. Then he became Series Honor man. Another WOW. That means that he beat out the other platoon in a competion held by the Series Commander. Being the top recruit of the series is quite an accomplishment.

Good luck to your son in his future with the Corps.

Quinbo
12-10-12, 10:52 AM
Outstanding news and you have every reason to be proud. I do not think that even in this day in age a recruit can go from pvt to lcpl. Stellar performance in boot camp does open the possibility for meritorious promotion but I believe it is only one rank up. An outstanding Marine of your sons caliber will be a lance corporal soon after hitting the fleet so no worries.

Congratulations to your son. Have a Merry Christmas!

travis mcgee
12-10-12, 10:58 AM
Congratulations Mlrtime to you and your son. He is obviously an outstanding young man. As to your question about a promotion. I don't know if you can graduate boot as a Lance Corporal (E3). My son graduated as an E2 because of his 4 years of MCJROTC in high school. If there is a process for graduating E3 then I think your son has the best chance. Good luck to you and your son, and if you are proud now just wait till he is standing on the parade deck for graduation. Don't forget to bring kleenex.

Cheers,

Pete

Mlrtime
12-11-12, 12:34 AM
Thank you all for the kind words. I do appreciate them. It has been a busy day here in Douglasville as the time of this post should indicate. I and my daughter finished the mounting of the flag pole up at the street about 10:00 this evening. The Stars and Stripes along with the Marine Corps flag just below will be flying proudly when we drive over the hill and see the colors, hopefully standing straight out in the wind this coming Friday evening.

He has talked about being a Marine since the 6th grade and since he started high school he has trained physically to be prepared. I am indeed proud. Prouder still, those nights that I went to his room and found him lying in bed reading his Bible or kneeling beside it in prayer. He and his faith are far stronger than I was at 18. He has not walked this past 13 weeks alone. He has been guided along, every day.

God Bless you All.

Mlrtime

SGT7477
12-11-12, 08:24 AM
Outstanding another brother carrying on OUR tradition, Semper Fidelis.

SGT7477
12-11-12, 08:26 AM
Thank you all for the kind words. I do appreciate them. It has been a busy day here in Douglasville as the time of this post should indicate. I and my daughter finished the mounting of the flag pole up at the street about 10:00 this evening. The Stars and Stripes along with the Marine Corps flag just below will be flying proudly when we drive over the hill and see the colors, hopefully standing straight out in the wind this coming Friday evening.

He has talked about being a Marine since the 6th grade and since he started high school he has trained physically to be prepared. I am indeed proud. Prouder still, those nights that I went to his room and found him lying in bed reading his Bible or kneeling beside it in prayer. He and his faith are far stronger than I was at 18. He has not walked this past 13 weeks alone. He has been guided along, every day.

God Bless you All.

Mlrtime

Make sure all Irish pennants are clipped at all times,lol, Carry On, Semper Fidelis.

Mlrtime
12-16-12, 07:32 PM
What a great weekend! We got to Beaufort Wednesday afternoon and went straight to Parris Island to try to familiarize ourselves with where we would be going before daylight on Thursday, Family Day, my wife, sister and daughter along with his girl in one car and me and his best friend in my truck. We got sufficiently turned around and semi lost so that on Thursday we knew where some of the things we wanted to see and do, we had found already.

Thursday morning started with us getting to the Visitors Center shortly after 6 a.m. and to Peatross Parade Deck before the 7:00 Motivational run began. I was the first to spot him in the predawn light and yelled, "Miller!!!" and waved my hands above my head. I saw his head come around but he did not wave immediately. Later found out that the DI had told all of them to not be waving at anyone. He then gave me a timid wave. Later found out the same DI told him, "Well, wave dumb*** " Ha!

After the run, which was so much fun watching him carrying the Gideon as he ran by in front of his platoon with a huge smile on his face as the whole family and friends cheered and screamed his name and cheered all of the young Marines in the Company as they ran by too. The Company gave all the families four chances to cheer them as they went down the parade deck, turned and came back by up the Blvd, turned and went back down the Blvd and then back into the parade deck before marching back to their barracks to change into their fatigues for the Liberty that would begin at the indoor facility.

We had seats at the very front as Matthew was the Honor Graduate for his Platoon. We sat in front of the Senior DI's wife and little girl. She was so very kind and told us that her husband, SSGT Galloway had told her that our son was the best guide he had had in his Series of five Platoons since he became a Senior Drill Instructor. Was a proud moment for Mama and Daddy. As the company marched in, He led platoon 3096, which was the first platoon in the company. They halted right in front of us, left face, dress right dress, parade rest! Everything was clean, crisp and in perfect order.

The First Sergeant called the formed Company to attention and directed the SDI’s to dismiss their troops for Liberty. Each platoon was dismissed in order, 3096, 3097, 3098, 3100, 3101, and finally 3102. He went to his Mama first, sister got second crack, my sister next and his old girlfriend next, and then I had my turn. And last his friend Wes. We made pictures and smiled and talked and just had a wonderful reunion. He was the first to say, “Let’s get out of this hall and go outside.” Before we did that however, he disassembled his Gideon. He unscrewed the pike and put it in his breast pocket, unscrewed the pole and wrapped the fabric with the 3096 on it around the two pole halves, pulled two elastic straps out of his pocket and secured them around his Gideon.

We asked what he wanted to do first. He asked if it would be ok if we went to the MCX first and as we went towards the car he explained when he had his opportunity to go to the MCX a few days before it was closed due to a power outage and when it finally opened he and the other Platoon guides had to go to parade practice so he never got to the MCX. On our way to the car with all the family gathered around we encountered new Marines that were members of his platoon. They would acknowledge him and motion for him to come their way. Every time he would oblige them and walk over to them. They would introduce him to their family and the family members to him. I could hear them telling their folks, “This is my Guide, or this is our leader, one even told his Mom, this is my boss.” He spoke to every family member individually. I could see the respect in these young men for my son. It was this way all day up until liberty ended at 3:00. We saw them in the parking lot, at the MCX, the History Museum, the 3rd BTN barracks, on the side walks, at the Lyceum where we went to eat lunch. I know there were at least twenty new Marines that motioned to him to come over or called to him and introduced him to family and them to him. He never hesitated when approached. He would always tell us, “I’ll be right back.” He was always gracious, always smiled, shook every hand, patted his fellow Marine on the back and would trot back over to us with a, “Sorry.” I had to tell him, “Matthew, don’t be sorry. I can see that these young men respect you and know you have helped them the past three months.” He looked me in the eye, “Not all of them, but that’s their problem.”

“Yep, that’s their problem.”

I know this was long and I only talked about Family Day. I’m a story teller and proud daddy. I can’t help it. It’s in my blood.

God Bless

Johnny

Claire527
12-16-12, 07:57 PM
Thank you for that excellent description, Sir! That is truly awesome for your son, and congratulations to him! Thank you for that story, I appreciated it.

QuincyLMCI
12-17-12, 01:20 PM
been just over 30 yrs since I graduated boot - Hollywood Marine (your son willl help fill in the blanks on that one I'm sure). just over 3years since my youngest daughter graduated as Platoon Guide and Honor Grad from PI. Honestly, I teared up at the first post you made and kept it mostly in check through writing this...Our Family sends out best wishes and prayers for you and yours. My Marine has already re-enlisted (3yrs into her 1st 4yr tour) and is going off to Oki with her Marine Husband and their son (our 1st Grandchild). Time seemed to stand still when they did their most recent combat tour and now off Japan for 3yrs...what amazing young people God has put in all of our lives...Semper Fi Marine Dad...the Marine Family is so special it cannot be put into words...but we still try.

travis mcgee
12-17-12, 02:12 PM
Amen Quincy. I never get tired of hearing stories from graduation day. I know for me it was a cocktail of emotions that I had never experienced before. Pride, excitement, and above all admiration for my son and all others graduating with him. It's hard to imagine an 18 year old accomplishing so much in as little as 13 weeks. Hell most 18 year old "kids" today can barely get off the couch. Few parents get to experience the honor of being a Marine family and to our sons and daughters we say thank you.

bfibrwfat
12-17-12, 03:17 PM
Congratulations to you and your son, Mlrtime!!! It was a great read, and not too lengthy at all. My son's "ship date" to San Diego is January 7th, and I"m excited to follow his progress. I was in the Army back in the 70's. I encouraged my son to join the military, but honestly, I was a little shocked when he became interested in the USMC. However, the more I learn about the Marine Corps, the more I am glad he chose it. Good luck to you and your Son Mlrtime...

thebigticker
12-17-12, 10:27 PM
Congratulations!!! It sounds like he is a pretty remarkable young man / Marine!

BlackWidow
12-18-12, 03:17 AM
Congrats! :nerd:

Mlrtime
12-22-12, 03:23 PM
Thank you to all of you! Have not been here in a few days. When I have not been working I've been with my son. He got to go fishing with one of our good friends on Wednesday. They got rained on from the get go but still caught fish (striped bass) and his first was the biggest at about seven pounds. I had to drive my school bus route but now we are out for Christmas holidays so we have two weeks. Hopefully we will get to the deer woods a couple days and get some venison for sausage.