PDA

View Full Version : Real Bronze Star

cbqrr47
12-03-03, 02:08 PM
This is the way it is supposed to be!

Marine Gets Bronze Star For Lynch Rescue
Captain Helped Coordinate Rescue

POSTED: 8:31 AM EST December 3, 2003

CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. -- A Marine captain who helped coordinate the rescue of Army Pfc. Jessica Lynch in Iraq has been awarded the Bronze Star medal for heroic action.

The medal was given to Capt. Thomas "Tad" A. Douglas, 27, on Tuesday while about 40 members of 2nd Force Reconnaissance Company watched at their Camp Lejeune training complex.

"Those who served with him know and understand why he is deserving of this award," said Lt. Col. Jim Reilly, commander of the recon unit.

Lynch, a supply clerk assigned to the 507th Ordnance Maintenance Company, and members of her unit had been captured by Iraqi forces after their vehicles got lost March 23.

A special U.S. team rescued Lynch from an Iraqi hospital on April 1.

Reilly gave Douglas orders to head north of the Kuwait-Iraqi border for three days to find the enemy and report back. At the time, Douglas was commander of the company's 5th Platoon, which went to Iraq from North Carolina as part of Task Force Tarawa.

The Marines in Douglas' platoon identified the hospital where Lynch was held and gathered information to assist the Special Forces raid. They also set up a landing zone for incoming helicopters and put snipers in place to protect the raid force.

"We stayed in place during the day because you had to worry about compromise and the unknown," Douglas said. "We went over all our immediate action drills, identified a rally point and how to extract, but the driving force was not letting my Marines down."

Reilly said the platoon stayed in place for two or three days. When it was time to return to the Task Force Tarawa command post, the unit found out that some Ba'ath Party officials were in Nasiriyah, shooting civilians and telling them the Americans would be defeated.

Douglas said the Marines entered the Ba'ath Party building and took prisoners.

"We found out later that they contributed to the injuries and movement of Jessica Lynch," Reilly said.

Reilly said Douglas' platoon completed 22 missions, including meeting with tribal

bobpage
12-03-03, 05:13 PM
NOW YOU SEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is what a Bronze Star is for. Warriors like the Skipper here. Again I say Jessica, give it back. But wait, she surely won't look at this site. Too military, too disciplined.

Fox 2/23
12-04-03, 05:46 PM
It is my understanding that the Bronze Star can be awarded for "merit" during an action or for valor. The Bronze Star awarded for valor has the Combat "V" device. I don't think the Marine Corps awards the Bronze Star for anything but valor. Other appropriate awards exist for merit during an action. This is my understanding.

mikemac64
12-05-03, 09:51 PM
Check the General officer bios on the USMC.mil www site. There are more than a few Bronze Stars w/o V on some of thos e General's uninforms....