PDA

View Full Version : Read about Operation Hero Trek. Want to do it also...thoughts?

mcompton1973
12-03-12, 02:37 PM
Quick introduction
I was active duty Oct 1993 - June 1998.
I left as a Sgt. I was a POG.
Now my son is active duty at SOI on his way to being an 0331. I raised a good one.

Ok, now. I read about what Mike did with his Operation Hero Trek, and I want to do something similar to continue to make sure that people dont forget that things are still going on that put our Marines and service members in harms way.

For my walk I was thinking of going from either Camp Lejeune to Pendelton, or the other way around. I just like a little encouragement to know that its not crazy to do something that has already been done.

I would appreciate any thoughts anyone would have. thanks.

MOS4429
12-03-12, 04:01 PM
Interesting.

Rocky C
12-03-12, 05:15 PM
Thread Closed.

You need to fill out your profile completly Marine.
These are Forum Rules.

Once completed you can PM me or any Squad Leader to re-open your thread.

Thank you.

Rocky C
12-03-12, 06:00 PM
Profile completed.
Thread re-opened.

Thank you for the PM Brother, that was fast :thumbup:.

Welcome to the Forum.

Semper Fi,
Rocky

mcompton1973
12-05-12, 11:59 PM
Yeah,
So here are some of my thoughts.
I talked to Mike, the guy that did the Operation Hero Trek...and he is in support of me doing a similar walk. That endorsement was huge for me. It is a very personal thing and that was a concern of mine.

Right now I have a LOT of research left to do. Personally a winter walk would be the best "fit" in my life. Looking at Dec-March next year (roughly). I need to make sure that temps etc will be survivable. I am walking Lejeune to Pendelton or Pendelton to Lejeune...so its going to carry me all along the south, so I BELIEVE it would be OK...but have not done enough research. I live in Nebraska...so winters in the south are not as bad...but January is still cold. lol.

I am going to create a separate charity whos sole function would be to collect the donations and then send it to the charities I want to support. The benefit of setting up a new organization is that it makes it easier for people to donate and it be tax deductible. Operation Hero Trek just directed people to the other charities if they wanted their donation to be tax deductible. I think the easier I make it for people to donate, the more likely they will.

My plan is some kind of name involving Semper Fi. Operation Semper Fi, or something along those lines. This is to reflect The fact that Me and My son are both Marines. Also, ALL the charities I support will be either exclusively focused on helping vets from the Corps or at least heavily invested in and respected by the Corps.

There is SOOO much involved in making this happen...butI have a decent framework. Just a lot more research to do.