PDA

View Full Version : 81s make impact on Talon Vision

thedrifter
12-03-03, 07:00 AM
81s make impact on Talon Vision
Submitted by: MCB Camp Butler
Story Identification Number: 2003121191813
Story by Cpl. Ryan J. Skaggs

MOUNT BAKA, Philippines -- Training received by Marine mortarmen participating in Exercise Talon Vision 2004 had a huge impact on the ground but also a deep one on the U.S. and Philippine Marine relationship here.

Reserve Marines with Weapons Company, 1st Battalion, 25th Marines, currently attached to 4th Marine Regiment, provided advanced knowledge on the gun-line to their Philippine counterparts, who in turn offered their knowledge and experience from the frontline.

"Most of the Philippine Marines here are combat veterans who fought terrorists in Mindanao," said Sgt. Jeff P. Richardson, section leader, 81s Platoon, Wpns. Co. "We are learning as much from their experience as they are learning from our technical skills."

According to Gunnery Sgt. Forrest A. Marsh, platoon sergeant, 81s Plt., the 81 mm mortars are considered a battalion-level asset, providing support behind the infantry with the range to extend past the forward edge of the battle line.

The goal of this two-pronged training evolution was designed to improve and maintain the interoperability and combat readiness with the current weapons systems used by both Marine forces.

"They are asking the kinds of questions that someone would ask who wants to improve," said Marsh, a native of South Weymouth, Mass. "We are showing them our procedures and they are showing us their business."

In addition to mortar training, the Reserve Marines maintained a defensive posture and performed patrolling tactics, a skill many Philippine Marines are familiar with from their own experiences in the Global War on Terrorism.

"The Philippine Marines taught us a lot on patrolling," said Lance Cpl. Richard D. Bouvier, mortarman, 81s Plt., and Smithfield, R.I., native. "We were able to learn some of the ropes of our 0311 brothers."

According to Marsh, the knowledge the Philippine Marines brought to the training will also improve the junior Marines' skills.

"I got to work with different Marines in a different atmosphere on the gun-line," said Lance Cpl. Jesse D. Bean, mortarman, 81s Plt., and Cape Cod, Mass., native. "This was the best field-operation I have been on."

These Devens, Mass., based Marines and other reserve Marines participating in Talon Vision '04 will rejoin 1/25 here, where they are scheduled to conclude their six-month Unit Deployment Program training evolution in Dec. The battalion was activated in January in support of Operation Enduring Freedom.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200312119267/$file/Mortars-02low.jpg

Reserve Marines with 81mm Mortar Platoon, Weapons Company, 1st Battalion, 25th Marines currenty attached to 4th Marine Regiment, conducted 81mm mortar firing on Mount Baka with Philippine Marines while participating in Talon Vision (Fiscal Year) 2004. Talon Vision '04 is a bilateral training exercise designed to improve and maintain the interoperability, combat readiness and professional relationship between the U.S. and Philippine Armed Forces. Photo by: Cpl. Ryan J. Skaggs

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/632D5C39FD4871B285256DF00001AB17?opendocument

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

Neil Boucher
12-06-03, 07:24 PM
3BAT 4REG 3rd MAR DIV 81MM Mortar PLTN Trained here in 1982. Battalion was deployed from Okinawa.

Devildogg4ever
12-07-03, 05:28 AM
I love them Guns! We could mess up some stuff with the 81's!!

http://www.angelfire.com/realm2/elitewarriorsworld/A1milgraphics/81gun2.png

Sticker another Marine and I came up with!!!!

firstsgtmike
12-07-03, 06:05 AM
I live in the Phillipines.

News releases concerning American exercises with the Philippine Army/Marines are almost non-existent.

When American forces passing through here are mentioned, it is ALWAYS in the negative.

Politicians may smile and tap dance like they always do, but if someone wants to get a true picture, read the local newspapers.

Are we setting up bases in the Philippines?

Do we have ambitions of turning the Philippines into the 51st state?

In our quest to stamp out terrorism, or to have liberty ports for our sex-hungry GIs,are we ingoring Philippine national soveignty?

The American military presence here is so downplayed, they have to sneak into the country, offloading in civilian clothes, far away from anyone who can report their arrival.

When it is reported they were seen in a specific area, that's when the denials go out, from the US Embassy down to the local Chief of Police.

I'd like to spend some time with Cpl. Skaggs, who wrote the story and took the pictures. I can put together a collection of news headlines and stories to share with him.

mrbsox
12-07-03, 08:53 AM
BLT 3/4 3rd MARDIV

H&S Co. 81's Plt. from Camp Hansen, Oki.

YOU ORDER, WE MORTAR

Phillipines was our base port for WESTPAC float, '76 - '77

Did some firing in the hills, but we had the older 'short' barrel gun, 41 lb. bi-pod. Still an awsome display of what can be delivered at medium range in a short time.

Lets see....... Olongapo city, Manilla, Olongapo, Olongapo, oh yes.... Olongapo.

Bottoms Up Disco Club :banana: :banana:

Sgt Sostand
12-08-03, 07:07 AM
(Quite) mrbsox Real Nice YOU ORDER, WE MORTAR