PDA

View Full Version : Questions Regarding Enlistment

RogerLa327
11-26-12, 04:43 PM
I am a 23 year old male residing in San Clemente, CA. I've been interested in joining the Marines for about 10 years but due to obligations to my family I've been unable to do so until about 3 months ago.

Now to start, I am not a high school graduate. When I was in the 10th grade, my grandfather (our only source of income at the time) passed away, leaving just me, my sister and my grandmother alone. So I had to make a choice to drop out of high school and work at my uncles auto body shop to bring in income or else we would have became homeless. My sister was to young to work and my grandmother was to sick. My grandmother recently passed away and my sister got married. So now I'm free to pursue the career I want.

I did call a recruiter and was told I would need a GED and 15 college credits. The GED isn't an issue, as that test can be taken for $50 or so. I can obtain that relatively easily. The college credits are an issue as even community college is not free and I only make a certain amount of cash a month. I know I can get the credits in about one semester granted I take on a full load, which may be impossible with work in the way. So were likely looking at 2 semester and no way to pay for them.

Honestly I feel a bit disheartened hearing I needed the 15 college credits, as I'm unsure how I'll come up with the money to take the courses.

Joining the Marines had always been like a voice in my ear just constantly telling me to do it but other responsibilities stopped me.

I will be meeting with a recruiter, and I am hoping I can get in with a GED and get the credits waived. I'm positive I will breeze through the ASVAB test and I'm about as physically fit as a 23 year old can get. I have zero health problems, no allergies, literally nothing wrong with me.

Now with that out of the way...

1. What are the odds I'll get the credits waived?
2. If infantry is currently full (which a few Marine friends told me it likely is) what alternatives exist that will give me a similar experience?
3. Will the Marines assist in paying for the courses I need in college?

josephd
11-26-12, 05:41 PM
1. I can almost guarantee those credits will NOT be waived, those standards have been in place for some time now and being that enlisting right now is harder than ever the Corps isn't going to make exceptions

2. Check out tanks, tracks, or artillery. all fall in the combat support role.

3. No

Lisa 23
11-26-12, 05:44 PM
US Military Enlistment StandardsEducationFor enlistment purposes, the military breaks education into three overall categories: Tier 1, Tier 2, and Tier 3. The vast majority (over 90 percent) of all enlistments are from the Tier 1 category.

Tier I
Applicants in Tier I have a high school diploma, or at least 15 college credits. This means a high school diploma, not a GED. Depending on state law, completion of high school by home study may or may not be considered equivelant to a high school diploma.

Tier II
Tier II includes GEDs, home study (in some states), Certificate of Attendance, Alternative/Continuation High School, Correspondence School Diplomas, and Occupational Program Certificate (Vo/Tech). The services limit the number of Tier II candidates it will allow to enlist each year.

In the Air Force, the limit is less than one percent each year. In such cases, the applicant must score a minimum of 50 on the AFQT to qualify (Note: The "AFQT" is the overall ASVAB score (http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/joiningup/a/asvababcs.htm)).

The Army will allow up to 10 percent each year to be Tier II candidates, but they must score a minimum of 50 on the AFQT.

The Marines will only allow about 5 percent each year to be Tier II, and the Navy about 10 percent. Like the Army and Air Force, Tier II recruits must score a minimum of 50 on the AFQT to qualify.

The Coast Guard only accepts Tier 2 candidates if they have prior military service, and even then requires them to score higher on the AFQT (50 for prior Coast Guard Service, 65 for prior service in other branches).

Tier III
Individuals who are not attending high school and are neither high school graduates nor alternative credential holders. The services almost never accept a Tier 3 candidate for enlistment. If you fall into this category, your best bet is to get at least 15 college credits, so that you will be qualified as Tier I.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/enleducation.htm

MOS4429
11-26-12, 08:45 PM
I read your post and was struck by how you offered up all the reasons why you can't do this, how long it will take, how much it will cost.

So I am tempted to reply with this sage advice: You're right, it'll take too much effort on your part, forget about it and do something else.

Excuses! If what you say is true, that you dropped out as a sophomore, took a job as an auto mechanic, provided for grandma and your sister, then seriously, you're going to let a small hurdle like you have mentioned get in your way and stop you? Hmmm, makes me wonder.

Go get your GED ASAP.

This week, call Saddleback College and make an appointment with a financial counselor. Keep the appointment. Saddleback is a mere 9.5 miles north from San Clemente. That's nothing.

Go to http://www.saddleback.edu/fao/

There are BOG grants available and other financial assistance. Don't wait any longer because time is not on your side. Fill out your FAFSA, apply for grants, scholarships, BOG, and everything available. You may find that all you have to pay for are books. And don't buy those either. You can rent them from chegg.com or other sources on line and save a ton. You might find that by the time you are done, you will be attending almost for free. But you will find out nothing by sitting there making a list of all the reasons why this won't work.

If you really want to do this, you can get enrolled in the spring semester, attend the summer semester (you get higher credits in some classes) and be done with it and ready to roll next fall.

fl1946
11-26-12, 10:19 PM
MOS gave you some very good advice. I also heard a lot of verbal roadblocks. Now, it's your turn, put your feet where your mouth is, go to Saddleback and enroll into a couple of courses. Wishing never works, only at Disneyland if at all.

MOS4429
11-27-12, 11:39 AM
What's amazing, too, fl1946 is advice is given, and we don't hear a thing from the op.

To the OP, I refer you to:
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?110828-POOLEES-WANNABES-your-reply-should-contain-Thank-you!-Gracias!-Vielen-Dank!

Tennessee Top
11-27-12, 12:03 PM
Others have had the same roadblocks as you but managed to overcome them. If you want it bad enough you'll find a way. There is no time to waste. Your clock is ticking and you're not getting any younger.