PDA

View Full Version : Any Tips?

Juggernaut
11-25-12, 08:53 PM
I'm a DEPS poole. I'm 6'4", 235 pounds, male. I'm training quite abit to drop weight and gain muscle to go back to MEPS with and not slow my fellow recruits down in training anymore. So far i've lost 30 pounds ever since i figured out what i want to do in life which is basicly to become a USMC scout sniper one day. Any tips to help with training and such? I do sprints now, at least 300 military crunches daily, pushups, bench, curls, shoulder shrugs, etc. Cant really do pullups yet but i start up top and lower slowly, trying to hold my possition halfway down as long as i can, well actually today i did do my first pullup by starting up top, going halfway down and out of nowhere developing the stremgth to get bak up. Ummm... I'm currently taking the fatburner Hydroxycut Hardcore Elite which... Helps SOOO much and has already lost me some fat. Ummm... I have cut out all processed foods out of my life and primarily take a multi, eat white meats, and veggies.... Yeah thats basicly it, would love some tips and guides, just tried to give a bunch of info about what i am doing so far.

Oh i also have another question, can i join PCP even if i meey bootcamp standards? (When i get there i can already get perfect crunches score, hurts tho haha). Id like to do the 21 days of PCP before even getting into initial bootcamp so that i may make sure i'm the best i can be before i enter, and even then i know the DI's will break me haha, cant wait :D

Lisa 23
11-25-12, 09:00 PM
Thread closed until you have a complete profile besides a first and last name ....site rules, which can be found in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums. Also, being a poolee in the DEP means that you have an actual shipdate to go to boot camp.
When profile is complete, PM any Squad Leader from the Squad Leaders sticky in the Ask A Marine forum and thread will be re-opened.

Lisa 23
11-25-12, 09:44 PM
Profile complete....thread re-opened.

Lisa 23
11-25-12, 10:18 PM
The more you can prepare yourself "before" you go to recruit training, the better off you'll be.

Before you are allowed to ship out to MCRDPI or MCRDSD, you are required to pass the physical fitness test, called the IST prior to shipping to recruit training. The test requirements (regardless of age) are:

MALE
Pull-ups: 2
Sit-ups: 35 (two minutes)
1.5 mile run: 13:30

FEMALE
Flexed Arm Hang: 12 seconds
Sit-ups: 35 (two minutes)
1 mile run: 10:30

You'll pass the same test shortly after arrival at recruit training. Those who fail are transferred to the PCP (Physical Conditioning Platoon). PCP is tough: PCP's objective is physical fitness, and that's what you'll be concentrating in while in the program. You'll remain in the PCP until you can meet the standards, but a minimum of 21 days. In order to graduate from Marine Corps recruit training, you must pass the final PFT (Physical Fitness Test). The PFT has three events - pull-ups (Flexed-Arm Hang for females), abdominal crunches, and a 3-mile run.

You DO NOT want to fail the IST and go to PCP -- not a good way to start.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?108908-Physical-Conditioning-Platoon

josephd
11-26-12, 12:05 AM
You DO NOT want to join PCP unless you have to, I repeat you DO NOT want to PCP. If you can pass the IST there is no reason why you can't pick up with a normal boot camp training company/platoon. Trust me you're DI's will get theirs and whip you into shape real fast.

Juggernaut
11-26-12, 01:02 AM
Thanks for the replies. Just kinda nuttin up atm haha. Did three sessions of 40 minute cardio's (all elipticle on highest resistance setting because of how cold out it is) think i'm going to just take advantage of the fact that i'm homeschooled and stay constantly in a PT mode when i am not studying. It's 1:01 am and i'm covered in sweat and still wired wanting more for some reason haha.

Smith2311
11-26-12, 04:54 AM
I was in PCP in bootcamp. (Not due to weight or strength issues, It was a requirement to test my strength after I broke my ankle)

You will be (This is off PI experience) on 2nd Deck in the STC Squad Bays. (Special Training Company). I personally would suggest getting as physically fit as possible before leaving, not because of the intense hazing PT that the DI's get to unleash on PCP Recruits, but because you will be living with the EHP Recruits. They are the recruits that got dropped for being too sick to train. You WILL get sick. Its just the nature of the beast, Just depends if its a cold or something serious. So based on that fact alone DO NOT GO TO PCP. Work on it harder and you will get within standards.

Lisa 23
11-26-12, 08:49 AM
It's best to check with a recuiter to get the most up-to-date and accurate info on being home schooled.

Education requirements
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?94001-Education-requirements

Juggernaut
11-26-12, 09:50 AM
My homeschool system allows me to go in once a week and take 1-2 tests, i'm wayy ahead i can finish all my work next week if i wanted too, and still get a deploma the MEPs even count as not being a GED cause i meet all of the requirements.
I see smith, tanks for that info haha. I just assumed it'd just get me more ready for BC. Our office doesnt allow us to ship out untill we surpass bootcamp entrance standards by 55 crunches, forgot the run time, and 10 pullups cause aparently there was an issue last year where they let a squad of poole's go that all ended up dropping out due to un-readyness so we arent allowed to go if we're thought to be unprepared.

doc h fmf
11-26-12, 10:08 AM
sO YOU HAVE TO GET GOING BECAUSE TO EVEN QUALIFY FOR SCOUT SNIPER SCHOOL YOU HAVE TO BE A FIRST CLASS PFTER AND A EXPERT RIFLE SO GOODLUCK

sTEPHEN dOC hANSEN hms FMF

Tennessee Top
11-28-12, 11:13 AM
When it comes to Scout Snipers, their fitness level is on par with Navy SEALs (they also spend an extreme amount of time in/under the water). That's worlds apart from where you are today.

Juggernaut
11-28-12, 11:22 AM
I'm training between when I wake up to 2-4 pm now. When I'm not weightlifting or doing other stuff I'm off into the woods hiking the rest of the time.

Rocky C
11-28-12, 11:34 AM
I'm a DEPS poole. I'm 6'4", 235 pounds, male. I'm training quite abit to drop weight and gain muscle to go back to MEPS.

I'm not understanding this statement. You joined the Forum 3 days ago as a " Marine Friend " and created your thread at the same time ?

And it's Poolee/DEP.

Tennessee Top
11-28-12, 11:44 AM
I'm trainin between when i wake up to 2-4 pm now. When i'm not weightlifting or doing other stuff i'm off into the woods hiking the rest of the time.

You need to be in the pool too and just as comfortable in the water as out. You need to be training your lungs to hold your breath for as long as you can with the goal of extending that time to at least double of what you're doing now. Water too cold? Scout snipers do not skip out on missions due to cold water/weather. Do not think they are not out there right now training (swimming does not stop just because winter has arrived). Granted, they will wear wet suits and other appropriate gear but they will be in the water for extended periods of time during the winter months. Still want to be a Scout Sniper?

Juggernaut
11-28-12, 11:48 AM
Yes, definately. Just makes it sound like more of a better goal. I've met two scout snipers so far who are tryin to help out as well.

Rocky C
11-28-12, 11:51 AM
Still waiting for your response. Time is not on your side right now as I can see you viewing my question.

Juggernaut
11-28-12, 12:20 PM
I did not see your question my email link directed me to the one after. I have not finished my MEP's process or been given a ship date but i am in the traning as a poole because the Marines in the federal building told me to go ahead and do all of that untill l go back up. Theyre waiting for an efficiant time to send me up with a group of others after the upcoming holidays.

Rocky C
11-28-12, 03:27 PM
This is what you said in your opening statement.

(I'm a DEPS poole ) What does this mean for the 3rd time ?

Juggernaut
11-28-12, 04:20 PM
Delayed Entree Program poole. It's what you're titles as you train in your squads at the recruiting office here. You train in squads, four squads total, and meet up with other poole squads once a month infront of high ranking Marines and do obsticals, runs, firing range events. Etc. You're a pool of recruits, so they call you a Poole (Pool-ee).

Rocky C
11-28-12, 04:32 PM
You are just not getting the question.

You are listed as a " Marine Friend " but in your opening statement you said you were, and I qoute " I'm a DEPS poole "

So what are you ?
I know what a Poolee is, I'm a Marine...

Last time I ask before I delete this Thread.

Juggernaut
11-28-12, 05:00 PM
Well you did just ask. I put myself as friend because I didn't want to give the name of my recruiter(s) without permission, as well don't have a leave date and am not sworn in, thought I'd wait to put my account as that until then.

Lisa 23
11-28-12, 05:00 PM
Poolee's in the DEP are those who have shipdates to boot camp, and since it seems you haven't even taken the ASVAB yet and met you weight requirements, you're not no poolee in the DEP. For now you're just a wannabe who's being allowed to PT with other poolee's.