PDA

View Full Version : Duty station advice

Conroy
11-18-12, 11:48 AM
Good afternoon Marines
I'm currently stationed in Fort Benning in a MAT Platoon and we're waiting to pick up for the Marine Armored Crewmen Course and my future platoon SGT. told me the other night that he lets his Marines pick if they want to go 1st Tanks (29 Palms) or 2nd Tanks(Camp Lejuene) as long as the numbers are even he wont make any changes, but he told me since my name is at the top of the list I'm basically guaranteed what ever one I choose I'll get.
So I'm asking for some advice one which one to pick I'll have enough money saved up once I graduate the course to buy a vehicle ASAP so keep that in mind.
I appreciate your help and if you could please elaborate on which duty station you recommend.

josephd
11-18-12, 01:54 PM
Go to 2nd Tanks in Lejeune....in my opinion. You'll be miserable in 29 Palms.

Spears
11-18-12, 02:30 PM
Yeah, what he said, 39 sucks

m14ed
11-18-12, 03:43 PM
stumps is good for some, ain't for others..
heard it's built up a lot better/bigger than it was back in the mid and late 60's.

You're eastcoast ...
you may never get another chance to see the "LAND OF THE LOTUS EATERS" again.

IF you want to stay in North Carolina, and make weekends home with a 13 hour drive IF you're lucky - and be WAY OUTTA BOUNDS when $hit hits the fan and the vehicle you're riding in.
OR you can venture to "ShakeyTown" in SoCal...

Either way, you're gonna be broke for one reason or another...

BUT , vehicle insurance is cheaper in NC.

Rocky C
11-18-12, 05:56 PM
Lejeune.

Apache
11-18-12, 06:17 PM
Wherever you choose can be the best duty station of your career .
Personal choice Lejeume

Another Bit of advise
Wait on the wheels-- there will be plenty of time later
You will save a ton of money and agrevation by waiting.
Set up automatic savings and let your money accumulate.
Perhaps in the amount you were going to spend on car payments(?)

SGT7477
11-18-12, 08:16 PM
Been at LeJeune and 29 Palms about a horse a piece,Okinawa was the best for me,lol,Semper Fidelis.

Kenneth Havelka
11-19-12, 01:17 PM
Lejeune,The stumps sucks:)

thewookie
11-19-12, 01:46 PM
Wasn't stationed at either, so I won't chime in on that. But, I'm wondering if while you're in MAT platoon if you can go over to the Marine Liaison at Jump School and ask to get your wings while you wait? Such a shame that more Marines don't go to that school,, with so many Army, AF and Navy tards that can't make it through.

Whoah :banana:

So, happy the Banana is back!

Good luck, Marine.

josephd
11-19-12, 05:26 PM
Wasn't stationed at either, so I won't chime in on that. But, I'm wondering if while you're in MAT platoon if you can go over to the Marine Liaison at Jump School and ask to get your wings while you wait? Such a shame that more Marines don't go to that school,, with so many Army, AF and Navy tards that can't make it through.

Whoah :banana:

So, happy the Banana is back!

Good luck, Marine.

Those jump school seats are almost always filled. And even if they did I doubt they are gonna let some new boot Pvt/PFC non rate(no offense intended) take one just because he has the time/availability.

Conroy
11-19-12, 08:21 PM
Before they implemented the MAT platoon program they let Marines who were waiting to pick up compete for a couple spots to go to jump school but they stopped doing that now that they have a real MAT program before it was just cleaning all day long with morning PT of course, some of the Marines in training have their jump wings because of that but I don't have that opportunity I would love to go but it just isn't available anymore

MKOZ07
11-19-12, 08:41 PM
Definitely go with Lejune. Out at 29 there is literally nothing to do but on the bright side you can go to Vegas on the weekends. If I could choose I would definitely go with Lejune over a looking at nothing but sand and rocks

Tennessee Top
11-21-12, 04:08 PM
LeJeune (shame more Marines don't know how to spell it correctly). That sand gets into EVERYTHING!

Rocky C
11-21-12, 04:16 PM
;)