PDA

View Full Version : Re-enlistment Questions

mitchstan12
11-15-12, 07:36 PM
Greetings all Marines! I have a few questions regarding re-enlistment with the USMC. Right now, I am in the DEP and set to leave for boot camp this summer. I know I shouldn't be thinking about re-enlisting & instead about getting through boot camp first and my first enlistment..

And I am doing that, but I'm also concerned about how hard it is going to be for me to re-enlist because my goal is to serve 20 years in the active duty FMF.

*But with the current economy our nation is experiencing, along with the major military draw-downs and troop cutting, I have read that re-enlistment in the Marines is going to get much harder because of this... Is this true????

Also, Im enlisted with an UH Infantry contract so that is what I am planning for the majority of my military career to be in.
*Will it be hard for me to re-enlist as an Infantryman? Because I've researched and found that the infantry promotes really slow, so will this effect my chances of re-enlisting as Infantry?

**Finally, since I know re-enlistment is going to be hard for Marines who are already in, how hard will it be for me to re-up my contract since I actually won't be an active duty Marine until July 2013, which means I wont have to re-enlist until October 2017 or so...????
What my head recruiter (MSgt.) told us is that we are basically getting into the Marines at a great time if we want so be "career, 20 year" Marines because by the time we have to decide to re-enlist or not (2017) the troop cuttings and draw-downs will be slowed down, and the Marine Corps will be more stabilized by then...Is this correct?????

*Lastly, how can I better my chances for getting re-enlistment chances as an Infantry Marine??? In detail if possible..

I thank all of you Marines for your time to answer my questions, and also for your service!

Thanks in advance