PDA

View Full Version : Almost 9 years and can't fill the void

jheath46e
11-13-12, 07:19 PM
Hello to all, <br />
<br />
I'm looking for some guidance/information. Hopefully someone can help. I served on active duty from 99' - 04'. I was honorably discharged at the end of my enlistment and went...

cwood4ever
11-13-12, 11:49 PM
Once you pass 28 you cant get back in. I tried at 30 and the recruiter said that since the wars are coming to an end they wont even give vets waivers if they are 29 much less 30.

jheath46e
11-14-12, 06:02 AM
Even if re-enlisting into a reserve unit?

PJones64
11-14-12, 06:22 AM
Nine years. And have not acted on it.

jheath46e
11-14-12, 06:43 AM
PJones-
Your entitled to your opinion, but I have discussed my options for returning to active duty with prior service recruiters twice in the past nine years and ultimately had to choose between the Marine Corps and my family. I am considering my options, if any, for joining a reserve unit in hopes of fulfilling my desire to continue to serve at some level while still respecting my wife's needs and wants.

Rocky C
11-14-12, 08:27 AM
By federal law (10 U.S.C., 510), the minimum age for enlistment in the United States Military is 17 (with parental consent) and the maximum age is 35. This is to ensure than anyone who enlists on active duty can be eligible for retirement (20 years of service) at the mandatory age of 55 (60 in some cases). However, DOD policy allows the individual services to specify the maximum age of enlistment based upon their own unique requirements. The individual services have set the following maximum ages for non-prior service enlistment:

Active Army - 42
Army Reserves - 42
Active Air Force - 27
Air Force Reserve - 34
Active Navy - 34
Naval Reserves - 39
Active Marines - 28
Marine Corps Reserve - 29
Active and Reserve Coast Guard - 27

However, prior service enlistees can receive an "age waiver." In most cases, the amount of age that can be waived depends upon the amount of time the individual previously spent in the military. For example, let's say that an individual has four years of credible military service in the Marine Corps and wants to join the Air Force. The Air Force could waive the individual's maximum enlistment age to age 31 (Maximum age of 27 for the Air Force, plus four years credible service in the Marines).

For the Marine Corps, the maximum age of enlistment for prior service is 32, after computing the prior-service age adjustment.

For the Army National Guard, the maximum age for non-prior service enlistment is age 39. For the Air National Guard, it's 34. For prior service, the maximum age is 59, as long as the member is able to complete 20 years of creditable service for retirement by age 60.

William Hardy
11-14-12, 09:18 AM
I know exactly what you are feeling. I left the Corps for the good of my family. Went to college and had that feeling you are talking about. I the reserves..first, I visited with the MC reserve unit located about 150 miles from here. Had some bad issues with transportation and times (getting there on time, getting home late, deciding to go home on Saturday or stay overnight, etc.) so I opted to join my local National Guard Unit. That did it. It wasn't the Corps, but it was military and one weekend a month and no less than 2 weeks in the summer filled that void. Many years I spent upward of 4 to 8 weeks on active duty while I went to military schools, volunteered for special assignments, deployed overseas for training in Europe, etc. You can always check out the Air National Guard or Air Force Reserves to find a unit close to home.

Good Luck and Semper Fi

thewookie
11-14-12, 01:48 PM
Nine years. And have not acted on it.

Who ****ed in your cheerios?

We have all looked back, or most have.

Sounds like father time is not on your side anymore. I would suggest the National Guard, but somebody already did that. ;)

Good luck, Marine.

You can always hang out here and get your fix that way! :thumbup: