PDA

View Full Version : Posers or part posers

ironmanbgmac
10-31-12, 07:14 AM
Is there anywhere one can go to verify that someone was a Sgt Maj? I work with a guy who first was a Gunny, Then a Master Sgt, and then says he was a Master Gunny?

advanced
10-31-12, 09:24 AM
Well, that's the way our rank structure normally occurs. Just not in a week.

P.S. What is a "part poser," he either is or he isn't.

Mongoose
10-31-12, 10:00 AM
When a Marine tells you he made Gunny out of boot-camp, his Grandfather is Commandant or he may be a part time poser.

MOS4429
10-31-12, 10:53 AM
Google is a tool. Sometimes you can just google the person's name and find other information out there they have posted.

Ask him about his units. Google the units.

You say he was a gunny, MSgt, MsGySgt but your question is whether he is a SgtMaj, so that's a bit confusing. Was he saying he got out as a gunny, and then later changed to these other ranks?

Welcome to the site.

Apache
10-31-12, 06:30 PM
With a conversation he will trip himself ---
The lies will get deeper and harder to cover with each one.

Worst case -- ask for a DD 214

ironmanbgmac
11-01-12, 03:56 AM
Yeah sorry about the Master Gunny, Sgt Major I was 9 hours into a night shift. It is just My whole family was recently burned by a gal who had a real whooper going for a year. She attended boot camp...

Marine1955
11-02-12, 01:37 PM
Hey Skipper give us his name I have several web site that I can run a check on...and also there are Marine on this site here that can run back ground check also. we can find out for sure I bet..

ironmanbgmac
11-05-12, 05:35 AM
Eugene A Griffith He says he was in communication, I did not ask him MOS.
MY firefox sure did not like this site. Using Safari.
Thanks to all in advance.
Happy Birthday all-
I need to get my scanner hooked up, I have a cruise book from the USS Augusta 1934. L.B. Puller was the Lt. of Marines, and Capt. Chester Nimitz was the Skipper, My Granddad was a Pvt. Pretty cool book. I would like to share.

Old Marine
11-05-12, 03:38 PM
If he went from GySgt to Msgt. to MGySgt. that works.
If he went from GySgt to MSgt. to SgtMaj. that works.

If he went from GySgt to Msgt. to MGySgt to SgtMaj. he is full of it.

Old Marine
11-05-12, 03:53 PM
When a Marine tells you he made Gunny out of boot-camp, his Grandfather is Commandant or he may be a part time poser.

Billy.
You need to clean out your PM's.

ironmanbgmac
11-05-12, 05:15 PM
I got that Old Marine thanks I knew that but just mis spoke in the beginning. Night shifts will do that.

mr gray
11-05-12, 08:37 PM
ironmanbgmac:

There is a Marine of that name who is a retired MGYSGT, MOS 0699.

You should inform him that you publicly questioned his integrity and put his name out on the internet.

-Mr Gray

Sgt Leprechaun
11-05-12, 09:22 PM
I'd say you are either a Master Guns, or a SgtMaj. It would be odd to me if a 'current/modern' day Marine confused the two, or claimed to be one and was the other.

The only reason I can think of for doing that would be around totally 'non Marine' types who wouldn't understand the terms, and you would be attempting to explain the equivilant.

That would make some sense, otherwise, I would wonder myself.

ironmanbgmac
11-06-12, 12:54 AM
I am very happy that he is for real, as I have been treating him with the respect that someone who is a MGYSGT of Marines. While I will tell him I never questioned who he was , the information came second hand and I now can squash it.
I have been burned big time on 2 other occasions.
Too bad we are not in the good old days when impostors were dealt with certainty and actually felt some shame when exposed. It just is not that way anymore.

It is nice now that Vets have respect of others outside of other vets. In my era you could not even count on other vets. Reagan did make it better.

ironmanbgmac:

There is a Marine of that name who is a retired MGYSGT, MOS 0699.

You should inform him that you publicly questioned his integrity and put his name out on the internet.

-Mr Gray

mr gray
11-06-12, 09:11 PM
Unfortunately the increasing amount of fakers these days makes us suspicious of the the real ones. Some people just aren't happy with who they are and feel like they need to lie--this does a huge disservice to the real heroes!

I am very happy that he is for real, as I have been treating him with the respect that someone who is a MGYSGT of Marines. While I will tell him I never questioned who he was , the information came second hand and I now can squash it.
I have been burned big time on 2 other occasions.
Too bad we are not in the good old days when impostors were dealt with certainty and actually felt some shame when exposed. It just is not that way anymore.

It is nice now that Vets have respect of others outside of other vets. In my era you could not even count on other vets. Reagan did make it better.

ironmanbgmac
11-06-12, 09:25 PM
You hit the nail on the head, I got a written apology and that is exactly what the mother of my granddaughter said. My son who is a real Marine is raising his daughter by himself now and doing an outstanding job. Mom visits her daughter every other weekend. How AFU is that? That and the fact that I introduced her to several of my friends as a wounded marine. My embarrassment will pass but the betrayal will not.

It does not help when the courts say it's OK to impersonate.

My advice is to verify somehow before you allow anyone into your inner circle or introduce them as who they say they are.

The most trustworthy people I have ever met served with me in the USMC and to this day I will trust them with my life and the lives of my family.

ironmanbgmac
11-06-12, 09:36 PM
I saw an article in USA Today that stated a very high failure rate for the infantry officers school. But the thrust of the article was that 2 females were allowed to take the course on an informational basis only (they were not going to be designated 0311). It said that one dropped out the first day along with 27 others (male) and the other completed the course.
There has got to be more to the story. Can anyone with intimate knowledge explain. I really hate to accept the obvious.
Disclosure: I was an EA-6B Electronic counter measure Officer (NFO). Only because I started out in the pilot program but failed eyes. I wanted to be on the leading edge.
Thanks in advance.