PDA

View Full Version : Don't laugh me outta the forum now, but....

jwnic
10-28-12, 12:14 AM
... has anyone gone Air or Army National Guard since getting out of the Corps? I just started the process of getting into the WY Air NG and I'm just wondering what to expect.

(FYI, I tried getting back into active duty, but I've been out since 2007 so I'm not under any contract -- plus I got a new tattoo since I got out which apparently disqualifies me since they've passed a new regulation on tats..:thumbdown Too many waivers involved, I guess.)

mexbearlll
10-28-12, 01:46 AM
Did 10years with Nevada air guard, after 12 years with the Corps ,boy things are sure different in the A G, lot more kicked back then even when I was with the airwing!!! But at lot of paper work or computer work each drill weekend it seemed...

mexbearlll
10-28-12, 01:53 AM
I see you are a Bogue Rat ,Me too back in 1985. let me know how you like WY A G?

Zulu 36
10-28-12, 07:09 AM
There are at least several of us who are retired from the Air or Army Guard and others who have served in them. Nothing unusual here. I spent 14-years in the Michigan Air Guard and retired (I had 7-years in the Corps).

al Shabazz
10-28-12, 05:29 PM
If my Re-Enlistment with SDA is not approved, I'll be in your shoes here soon, partner. I was talking with some Air Force Reserves out here with me (weird being told a few times by an E8 to call him by his first name) and he said it's a pretty cake gig. The cool part will be I'll be able to get a new MOS (mine has no civilian EQ) and since the AFR gets to turn down deployments and extensions, I'll be able to get a bunch of deployments in (sweet deployment pay).

William Hardy
10-29-12, 06:55 AM
I did 11 1/2 active in the Corps and another and about another 12 or 13 in the Tennessee Army National Guard. I even did a tour in Iraq which upped my active time to 13 years which really boosted my retirement pay. Just lay back and take it as it comes and while you can have pride in your service in the Corps, lay off any hard hitting remarks about how you did it in the Corps. You will enjoy it. The "gung ho" and 'Semper Fi" is on a much lower scale, but you should be able to adapt and do well.

My main reason for joining was two fold, (1) the nearest MC reserve unit was just too far away. On my first and only visit to the closest unit, I had car problems and got home very late on Sunday. It was like it was a warning. (2) I really love military life. The National Guard's monthly drills, plus the 2 weeks of active training took care of my fix. I was even able to make some training trips to Germany and did some of the Reforger Exercises there back during the Cold War days.

jwnic
10-30-12, 02:38 AM
Man it's good to see those kind of responses! I've been kickin myself for not getting back in the Corps when I could, but that's life, I guess.

mexbearIII: Good to see another Rat!! What'd you do at Bogue? I was CFR, '03 - '07.

al Shabazz: That's gonna be one of the hardest things to get used to, I think.. the 'first-name basis' with the higher-ups. That and the fact that, if you're not calling them by their first name, everyone seems to be a Sergeant! Blows my mind..
I'll be getting a new MOS as well.. They have positions in my old job (Crash/Fire/Rescue), but 1, I'd like to try something different, and 2, my wife is pushing me towards something (anything!) with a bonus attached! (Yes ma'am..) lol On the bright side, the jobs with bonuses also have a pretty high price-tag in the civilian world apparently. (Things like 'Radar tech'..) We'll see!

William Hardy: I had to bite my tongue just the other day in the recruiter's office.. almost had a "when I was in the Corps...." moment! (Doesn't help that the recruiter is prior Army.. and he keeps comparing the Army and Marines!)
I'm hoping this will take care of my 'fix' as well.. been really missing the Marines the last couple years.

Should find out by the end of this week if the shoulder surgery I had in '09 is gonna stop me (it shouldn't), then I'll get scheduled for a visit to MEPS for a full medical. Once that's cleared, choose a job and jump in!