PDA

View Full Version : Vietnam Veteran

Keegs086
10-26-12, 10:53 PM
Today I had the chance to sit down and talk with a Vietnam vet during afterwork hours. My god what you men went through.. I'll never forget a word this man told me. He was 25th Infantry Division in the late 60's early 70's. He told me so much about what he went through and I can only imagine what amount of courage it took to retell some of his time in Vietnam... I can't even describe it with words.. i'll always remember his saying which he told me many times. "War is Hell and Combat's a Mother****er". Thank you all veterans for everything you have done. Army Navy Marines Air Force Guard anything anyone any branch.. doesn't matter. Thank You.

-Keegan

FistFu68
10-27-12, 08:33 AM
:evilgrin: I remember many moons ago,while I was In Country and My Uncle Sonny from Sweet Water TX,sending Me one of the Few letters that I was lucky 2 receive.He goes Jack this last Sunday while at a Big Church Picnic your PaPa my Brother knocked out this Big Mouth big Ass WW11 Army Ranger... When the subject of Vietnam came up this was 1968 my PaPa who was still in a Lifer US Army who did WW11 Korea & Vietnam was there in 62 W/MACV...The Scoop was this A**H**Esaid something too the affect Vietnam wasn't Chit compared to The Big One, and We were just a bunch of Drugged up Baby Killers.My Father at the time of this incident was going back for His 3rd Tour with MACVSOG as an E-8 this time Your Buddy is right War is Hell Combat is a Mutha F**er :iwo:

Keegs086
10-27-12, 02:31 PM
Great story! Thanks for the input :evilgrin: Goes to show you that you don't have to be the most elite to meet hell face to face

William Hardy
10-31-12, 07:29 AM
Fistful - I have to disagree with your take on this. Vietnam vets went through a lot, even those not in the field had to contend with the enemy face to face. Each was was different, but the grunt on the ground had it bad in every war. I don't think I would really want to volunteer for the Island Hopping Campaigns after knowing what the Marines and Soldiers went through there. Many of those battles were as bad if not worse than those in Vietnam. I really don't know if I would have fared well at the Battle of Bulge. Those aerial bombardments the Germans gave the 101st were hard on the troops. You really think that Normandy was a cakewalk?

Fact is, you don't know what that Ranger went through. His experience might have been 100% different from another unit just down the road who had it made. Every combat veteran has their stories and experiences, give each the respect they deserve.

Being a veteran of Vietnam and OIF, I would take OIF in terms of being safer. The missions I went on were absolutely quiet. Nothing happened except time passed and my back got sore from the weight of the body armor Vietnam kept my blood pumping even though I was not a grunt. We got hit hard and often. OIF was like being stateside and doing a training mission. See..that's my experience. Others out there went through hell in OIF.

Veterans Day is just around the corner...let's give everyone their just dues.

advanced
10-31-12, 09:21 AM
I don't think Jack was putting down army rangers, his papa knocked the **** out of the ranger because of his statement "Viet Vets were just a bunch of Drugged up Baby Killers." Hell, I'd a knocked him on his ass for that 1.

As for war is hell, as most of you know, I've always called the Nam a walk in the park - Except for all those other times. Also, I've never been as tired, hot or cold, or HUNGRY so much for so long in my life.

Mongoose
10-31-12, 10:12 AM
I remember that walk in the park well, Russ. Ahhhh, those were the days, I can still see it. All us Grunts laying out on the green grass on our beach towels. The warm sun dancing on the birds singing their sweet melodies of peace. Drinking cold beer and being lazy. Day dreaming about how those back home that was missing all this fun. It went by so fast all I have left is wonderful memories.

advanced
10-31-12, 10:28 AM
Oh yes Billy, those really were the days, some of the most Vivid Memories of my youth. And remember how since we were still just kids, if we were really good, they would let us go out in the woods and play cowboys and indians. And remember how we even got to play Custer's Last Stand and the Alamo a few times. And all the other times having picnics out in the country. At times though there must have been a lot of hornets nests out there because sometimes I swear I could hear the bees buzzing close to my head.

FistFu68
10-31-12, 12:22 PM
:evilgrin: My PaPa landed at Anzio on D Day...Fought His A** Off in Korea...And put more Soldiers in Body Bags than You are Old Hardy!!! When He was in Vietnam He was being called Sir by Green Beret Officers could speak 5Languages Fluently!By that time I guess He was hip too alot of Bullchit insulting Him was a Big No No as His Ranger Mr.Danger found out.Oh He retired a Sgt.Major after 30 yrs active RA I would have done the Same Same if it would have been Me or gave it a Helluva Go :confused: :iwo: