PDA

View Full Version : Deployment Excercises

TheJester
11-30-03, 05:16 PM
Is there certain excercises (I.e. TRUEX, MCRES, etc). That every unit has to complete before going on deployment or is it merely for certain units (I.e. Infantry) before they deploy?

Phantom Blooper
11-30-03, 06:37 PM
I was in the infantry.When we went on a deployment we had certain exercises and tests that the complete BLT w/attachments ...MAU-MEU (SOC).....and ships out of Norfolk had to do.When you go on a pump and everyday in the Marine Corps it is Gung Ho (Teamwork),from the last Pvt in a rifle company fire team to the cooks, tankers,arty all MOS's .........CO of the Battalion,MEU (SOC) Cmdr.of the Fleet. Our motto is not an" Army of One"Everyone has to have a working knowledge of who is with them,for every Marine is a rifleman.S/F Chuck Hall:marine:

TracGunny
11-30-03, 07:20 PM
During my time in the '80s & '90s, all deploying Marine Amphibious Units (MAUs, later changed to Marine Expiditionary Units - MEUs) had to complete a six month work-up and pass certain trials (exercises) to get their SOC (special operations capable) rating. As Phantom Blooper stated, this was the entire deploying package, attachments and all: The Navy's ARG (Amphibious Ready Group), and the Marine's ACE (Air Combat Element), GCE (Ground Combat Element), and MSSG (MEU Service Support Group).

A LOT of field time! You might as well kiss your love ones good-bye for the next year - or longer. The benefit? One well-oiled, highly capable, I Know My Job And I Know You Know Your Job fighting organization. It was what I lived for - now THAT is why I became a Marine!

Again, Phantom Blooper has it right; Gung Ho!

Phantom Blooper
11-30-03, 07:26 PM
Thanks TracGunny,I couldn't remember all the acronyms.But I know from Pvt -SSGT I spent many years in the field and deployments when stationed with the FMF. S/F Chuck Hall

TheJester
11-30-03, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the info SSgt and Gunnery Sgt, Looks Like I can look forward to alot of training over the next year.