PDA

View Full Version : IRR to Reserve Sniper Platoon

tlwhite1
10-26-12, 01:34 AM
So I have been in the IRR for a little over a year now and found out that there is a Reserve S/S plt about 3 hours from me. I was never able to do the indoc on active duty (****ty command) so I kind of saw this as a second chance. Does anyone know how I can get on board with these guys? I was an 0311 Cpl when I got out. I talked to a PSR and he told me that I would possibly have to retrain into 0317 to get into the platoon. This puzzled me because I have always known a sniper platoon to draw its ranks from the line platoons and keep them as PIGs for atleast one work up before sending them to school. I figured I would have to go SMCR to a reserve infantry unit and then somehow take the indoc there before being transferred to the S/S platoon. But perhaps the reserves operates differently. Just decided to run it by you guys and see if anyone knows the word on this.

Semper

josephd
10-26-12, 01:54 AM
I don't know anything about infantry in the reserves or S/S's but if they work like any other reserve unit and MOS you should be able to just go talk with the PSR at that unit, sign a contract to that unit, and then they should send you to that school. I would imagine it should be easier already being in the 03xx world.

mr gray
11-05-12, 09:22 PM
You're right about the active duty SSPs, but the reserves works a little different. You need to call the I&I 1stSgt to see if they have an open BIC. You'll likely also have to conduct an interview prior to joining. If they want you, they'll connect you to the PSR who will take care of the paperwork and join you to the unit. Once you join the unit, and if they think you can pass Scout Sniper Basic Course (this may involve passing a unit-ran "Pre-Sniper" course), then they will send you to school.