PDA

View Full Version : New Poolee Dad

jdennis21492
10-16-12, 08:53 AM
Greetings All,
My son is at MEPS as I'm writing this! He's had a Marine Corps Flag hanging in his room for the past few years and he's mentioned enlisting a few times, but I had always considered it a "cool teen guy thing" or just a passing phase. I never thought he'd be where he is. But, to be honest with you, I couldn't be prouder of him. Ever since he's decided to enlist, I've seen changes in his attitude at school, his self-confidence and the respect he gives others. He even calls me 'Sir' now... (he used to sarcastically call me "Old Man") I can live with that. I'm watching this kids grow up very quickly before my eyes into the man I always knew he was. I know he has a long road ahead of him, but I'm looking forward to see where it takes him and our family. - Jeff

robengineer
10-16-12, 11:31 AM
My son just graduated boot camp last week. I was not prepared for the first letter home. It was absolutely the most horrible thing I had ever heard from him. He said he hated it and just wanted to be home. Very home sick. he said many fellow boys were crying themselves to sleep at night. Now that we picked him up from graduation he said that during those dark times he was actually plotting how to escape. Now he made it through and could not be happier. He actually loved and excelled at all of the physical things. The mental breakdown received during the first two weeks was the worst thing. Be prepared for that, and be very supportive in your letters. Send a letter every day to him. I made pre-printed labels to make it easier. Let him know that he will survive, excel, then feel amazing once he is handed the eagle/globe/anchor. Maybe there are some similarities to childbirth. There is always pain before the child is born, but that is replaced with joy.