PDA

View Full Version : 1st year in....

IHaveEGA843
10-15-12, 08:26 AM
Gm Marines....

So this "boot" has served his first full year in the Corps and its been good.

Boot as a "blast"...not really....

SOI was not what I expected....

MOS school was actually good....

The Fleet is giving me mixed feelings but I make it do what it do.

Recieved Marine of the Year and good words from my higher ups.

Thanks to all those who helped me while I was a poolee and wrote to me as I was a Recruit. I'm glad to share the bond of being a Marine with yall, its something many people want but not all can share.

Semper Fi

Spears
10-15-12, 10:15 AM
Good stuff Marine, the fleet gets better I promise, learn your mos, don't forget your customs and courtesies, have a positive attitude, and stay out of trouble. It will all come together and youll find where you fit in to the big scheem of things.

thewookie
10-15-12, 10:47 AM
SOI was not what I expected....

MOS school was actually good....

I am confused, I thought MOS school for an 03 was SOI?

And, you said before you were:
0481-Landing Support Spec/Red Patcher etc.

So, are you a red patcher or a grunt, did you go to SOI or MCT?

Pick a story and stick to it.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?110178-MCMAP-prior-to-joining-Marines&p=861465&highlight=#post861465

(http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?110178-MCMAP-prior-to-joining-Marines&p=861465&highlight=#post861465)

m14ed
10-15-12, 03:41 PM
Easy WOOK...

One year ?? his head's still ringing from where he got CLOCKED with the Pugle Stick.

Congrats EGA... BUTTTT>.

You're not really a "SHORT-TIMER"

Untill you can lay a dollar bill flat on the deck

sit on it,

dangle your feet over the edge of it,

and your feet don't touch the deck....

That's when you're either SHORT, or SALTY.

UNTILL THEN, keep wearing out them SKIVIES.

and SEMPER FI, young green buddy

IHaveEGA843
10-15-12, 04:11 PM

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?110178-MCMAP-prior-to-joining-Marines&p=861465&highlight=#post861465

(http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?110178-MCMAP-prior-to-joining-Marines&p=861465&highlight=#post861465)

Im a POG and proud of it, I give my grunt 03 brethen the respect the are owed.

One night while on firewatch on camp johnson these 2 Sgts were outside their barracks room and stopped me. I ask them for some knowledge and this is what I recieved....

1. Dont get a screaming eagle (high and tight)
2. Dont wear a backpack off base because youre not going to run a PFT at the mall...why do you need a book bag for if your going shopping or out to hang out? *even though i knew one Marine who used it to carry his 12 pack where ever he went to keep his beer cold.
3.DO NOT REFER MCT AS MCT JUST SAY SOI. YEA WERE NOT GRUNTS BUT ITS STILL GEIGER.....SCHOOL OF INFANTRY

that was the gist of that convo while the jammed on rave music and threw back some beers while laughing at us Pvts and PFCs....

Good times...

Anyways Im one of the most squared away Marines at my unit.....the reserves is just...smh i rather not say....

I do funeral details, color guard, and other events just to do them because I do enjoy alot of the events where I meet REAL vets and get to hear there experiences.....

As soon as I hit Sgt im putting in my AR package for drill instructor....thats my next gold besides continuing to refine my body and continuing to excel in my career.

Certain things confuse me because were taught one thing but told another and it conflicts with the training at times. One time during HSTs i yelled at a Cpl because what was being done was not safe nor what I was taught in mos school but thr SNCOIC of it grilled me and told me things are different now but we nearly got crushed by the helo...

Smh....i just do as im told regardless of what i feel is right or wrong and push on....

Baker1971
10-15-12, 05:05 PM
Improvise, adapt and overcome.

Spears
10-15-12, 08:32 PM
For the record will, technically MCT and ITB fall under the school of infantry, two different battalions, under that same school. Not to say that grunts and pogs are the same, just talking semantics.

josephd
10-15-12, 10:34 PM
For the record will, technically MCT and ITB fall under the school of infantry, two different battalions, under that same school. Not to say that grunts and pogs are the same, just talking semantics.

^this^

Congrats on your first year, now get on a deployment so you're not a terminal boot.

And I don't mean to burst your bubble but are you aware that you need to serve at least 2 consecutive years on active duty or AR before you can put in for a B-billet(DI) right??

josephd
10-15-12, 10:36 PM
oh and being at a reserve unit is not the "fleet"

thewookie
10-16-12, 09:58 AM
You say the fleet I say reserves, you say SOI I say MCT. I'm not loosing any sleep over it, but there is a difference. When I was in guys that went through DM school liked to call themselves snipers, but they are not. It's all a play on words and if it works for you and gets you laid then -- good for you. Until the next crusty bastard like myself questions you on the details.

Good luck, keep it real.

IHaveEGA843
10-16-12, 04:24 PM
lawdy Marines, Im not on here trying to bicker over such fickle things....

In my info it says RESERVE 0481. Im not in the FMF as a AD 81.

I dont go around wearing cammies all day neither saying im AD. I do my drill in the weekends once a month BUT im usually at the htc atleast 3-5 times a month doing some sort of detail or event. I wear my blues more then anything else!

Anyways, thanks for all the love shown and support that was given in the beginning. I strive to do the same on my end especially when I go pt at my RS with the poolees

josephd
10-16-12, 05:29 PM
lawdy Marines, Im not on here trying to bicker over such fickle things....

In my info it says RESERVE 0481. Im not in the FMF as a AD 81.

I dont go around wearing cammies all day neither saying im AD. I do my drill in the weekends once a month BUT im usually at the htc atleast 3-5 times a month doing some sort of detail or event. I wear my blues more then anything else!

Anyways, thanks for all the love shown and support that was given in the beginning. I strive to do the same on my end especially when I go pt at my RS with the poolees

fickle things??....I think we all know you are a reservist like myself and many others but you're the one who said "The fleet is giving me mixed feelings". You are not in the fleet.

And while I commend you for having a good attitude about everything, you are not a poolee/wannabe recruit anymore no more coddling. You're a Marine, do you expect everyone to hand you a cookie and tell you great job for being in the reserves for a whole year and not doing a damn thing really??...Get used to not getting any praise for doing an exceptional job.

IHaveEGA843
10-17-12, 07:03 AM
LCpl, JosephD.....Im not a glory chaser, glory hound, etc. I just came on and decided to post up my first yr experience comments.

Im a POG boot 1 ribbon PFC reservist.....does it hurt ne like others to be called that? Nope.....titles dont do **** for me. Sorry if I hurt your feelings by saying fleet instead of back at home on my civi employment. Coddeling, the ****? I was treated as a man the whole time throughout the whole process from applicant to Marine, nothing was given or pushed my way.

Oh well and life goes on.....

Cpl Motivate
10-18-12, 08:34 AM

Every marine goes to SOI... Soi has three schools. Itb, mct and aitb...

Mongoose
10-18-12, 09:14 AM
Don't worry about it, brother.....you're doing just fine!

advanced
10-22-12, 07:12 AM
It don't mean nuthin, this is a different Marine Corps. If y'all remember, we were all hung-ho once ourselves. Let the current guys have their parade.