PDA

View Full Version : Philippines, US confirm US Navy's return to Subic Bay

ameriken
10-13-12, 11:05 AM
My my, loved PI. :p

Philippines, US confirm US Navy's return to Subic Bay

By Michael Cohen and James Hardy

10/12/2012

US and Philippine officials have confirmed that Subic Bay, once home to the 7th Fleet and the site of the United States' largest overseas naval base, is to host US personnel on a semi-permanent basis.

The Philippines' Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said that a rotational deployment of US forces had been ongoing since 2011. "President [Benigno] Aquino has authorised this, as have both houses of Congress, and it is a move widely popular with the Philippine people," said DFA Visiting Forces Agreement Director Edilberto Adan, a retired general and former chief of staff of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP).

"The US will not return to the bases they gave up in 1991, but they will be here regularly and are welcome here," said Adan. He added the resultant increase in joint military exercises would have an effect beyond better interoperability and improvements in AFP doctrine and equipment. "It improves our security and, to be honest, gives people in Southeast Asia peace of mind."

Subic Bay's port facilities were built during the Cold War to handle the anchorage requirements for the US Western Pacific fleet. The US left the naval base in 1992.

http://www.janes.com/products/janes/defence-security-report.aspx?ID=1065972334

ChuckH
10-13-12, 11:09 AM
Ahhh... Good ole Olongapo...:p

ameriken
10-13-12, 11:27 AM
Hey GI, gimme pesos, gimme pesos!

ChuckH
10-13-12, 11:48 AM
WOW.. Great photo....
Good ole sheet river..

Marine1955
10-13-12, 12:05 PM
WOW that means R & R back to PI they will go.. All aboard the S.T.D. express is now loading at gate 1369 all aboard..

ameriken
10-13-12, 12:12 PM
WOW.. Great photo....
Good ole sheet river..

They called it shiit river for a reason...I remember them telling us if you ever fell in you had to get a huge battery of shots.

That didn't stop the Filipinos...I remember a sailor throwing a peso down to a girl and it landed in the river. She had a younger boy on her little kayak, and he dove into the river and actually retrieved it.

:scared:

fl1946
10-13-12, 12:58 PM
I can't believe it! Balooks (fertilized duck eggs) again. So drunk I was in Olongapo when I ate the first one, I ate another one to confirm my inebriated state. Then it was a wild ride in the teacup: Jitney Jeeps. Number 10, OM!

Semper fi,
RVN '67

"Black is Black. I want my Baby Back. It's grey, It's grey."

ameriken
10-13-12, 01:04 PM
Magsaysay Dr, late 1970's

http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/1186878/1024/Old-Olongapo-Pics/magsaysay-1988.jpg

CPL/7113
10-13-12, 01:47 PM
Broke my right hand in a good "Bar Fight" with a group of USN type, in 1961,at the Club Miami,down town Olongapo.Was with VMF-312 at Cubi Point NAS.And being a Parachute Rigger,the CO wasn't too happy...but we did kick some ass that night.
J.Wolfson

Old Marine
10-13-12, 02:37 PM
The best thing in PI was Baggio City. The water was so soft it took forever to rinse off the soap from a shower. Great golf coarse. I was at Cubi Point with VMF(AW) 542. Lived in a barracks right across from Marine Barracks personnel. They went out and caught a constrictor snake and it took ten Marines to carry it back to the barracks. They built a cage out of chicken wire for it. They used to have picture day on Sunday and would tell the dependents to keep their children away from the area because the beast could swallow a small child whole. I saw it swallow a whole pig and it took over a week to digest it. Finally sold it to a zoo..

doc h fmf
10-13-12, 02:42 PM
AAAAAHHHHH Brings back medmories all the "rain coats" and shots i use to give.
The attacking chimps and monkeys yea thosre good ole memories.
Had lunch with the mayor of Battan.

Semper FI

Stephen Doc Hansen HM3 FMF

Old Marine
10-13-12, 03:05 PM
Many a night I used to beat feet across that bridge when we had Cinderella Liberty. Sometimes I even skipped the monkey meat cart to get to the gate on time. Really enjoyed the San Miguel Beer once my bowels got accustomed to it.

Bruce59
10-13-12, 05:34 PM
Was their three different times in 1960 & 61 with 3rd Recon, spent most of the
time on Grandy Island. That was the Island on the right side as you came into
Subic Bay.

al Shabazz
10-15-12, 02:54 PM
I heard my dad talk about Subic Bay. Who knows, maybe I'll get a chance to move in on the Gunny's stomping grounds...that is if I get selected.

Marine1955
10-15-12, 09:16 PM
I remember marching some guys to sick bay after they came back from R & R in P.I. a couple had the clap and it was so funny when Doc would do his little ditty. He would say you got the clap the old fashion way and I cure it the old fashion way..
We had one guy who was guess you could say very well hung and when the Doc said whats wrong he told him what was happening,Doc said place you member on the table and he did Doc said turn your head and read that chart. when he turn his head an read the chart it said you got the clap the old fashion way and I cure it the old fashion way and before he could do anything he slammed a mallet on his member and puss just shoot out. Then he gave him some meds and said stay away form women for 6 to 8 weeks..
At least that what he told us after he came out of the office. we just laugh are azz's off but he didn't think it was funny at all..

ChuckH
10-16-12, 07:28 AM

al Shabazz
10-16-12, 06:28 PM
I wouldn't plan on any shenanigans. I've got a wife and kids...and an absolute fear of venereal diseases...yuck.