PDA

View Full Version : Can you switch from ITB to MCT during SOI

GAMarineMom
10-07-12, 09:08 PM
Hello,I have a question on behalf of my son who is currently at SOI. He has a recon contract as a reservist and wants to switch to an MCT MOS such as technology or communications. He is starting week 2 at SOI but already knows he doesn't want to do recon. He wants to switch at the 4 wk break so the Marines don't waste time sending him on to MART. Does anyone know if this is possible? Should he talk to someone in his chain of command at SOI? He doesn't think that's a good idea because they are all very pro-ITB so he thinks if he raises the question now, the next few weeks will not go well. If anyone can provide some advice or direction I would really appreciate it.Or if anyone knows what will happen if he just DOR recon once he starts MART. Thank you.

m14ed
10-08-12, 02:42 AM
Hello,I have a question on behalf of my son who is currently at SOI.

He has a recon contract as a reservist( (and wants to switch to an MCT MOS such as technology or communications. )

He is starting week 2 at SOI but already knows he doesn't want to do recon. ,
He wants to switch at the 4 wk break so the Marines don't waste time sending him on to MART. Does anyone know if this is possible? )

Should he talk to someone in his chain of command at SOI?

He doesn't think that's a good idea because they are all very pro-ITB so he thinks if he raises the question now, the next few weeks will not go well.

If anyone can provide some advice or direction I would really appreciate it.Or if anyone knows what will happen if he just DOR recon once he starts MART. Thank you.

DOR ? Drop On Request.......He doesn't understand he's getting what he asked for...Signed a Contract for ?

WELCOME to the Marine Corps Family

GAMarineMom
10-08-12, 06:53 AM
Thank you for your comment, m14ed. Yes, he does understand that he signed a contract. He's aware that he can DOR but was hoping that rather than go all the way to MART and DOR the first day that he could possibly just switch earlier. He signed the contract when he was 17, which of course doesn't make it less valid or binding but just is to say that he was very young and had no idea what he was doing, and thought that recon was the way to go. Now that he's been through boot camp he has a better understanding and thinks he can contribute more doing something that he's good at. I realize none of that sounds good to Marines, which is why he doesn't think talking to anyone in chain of command is a good idea. He is a good Marine. He held squad leader position in boot camp for 2 months, never losing it once assigned. He also received meritorious promotion in boot camp to PFC. And he will go where they put him without complaint to the Marines. Just trying to find out if there are any options at this point. Thank you.

DaShadow
10-08-12, 11:25 PM
......He signed the contract when he was 17, which of course doesn't make it less valid or binding but just is to say that he was very young and had no idea what he was doing, and thought that recon was the way to go. Now that he's been through boot camp he has a better understanding and thinks he can contribute more doing something that he's good at.......

With all due respect, I think your son got a wake-up call in Boot Camp. Then he got a bunch of “Holy $heet” moments in SOI.

I suggest you have your son read this forum thread – then HE should decide the correct “Marine” action to take.

To be clear…….
He certainly isn’t the first young man that didn’t realize that Marine Recon training is NOT what you brag about (before going thru it) to the other 99.5% of young studs he may be acquainted with (before going to Boot Camp).

Does your son have what it takes?

A couple of things he should be aware of:
1) Boot Camp and SOI is like going to a High School Prom compared to MART and BRC.
2) If he is NOT 120% prepared physically and 200%mentally, he WILL FAIL during BRC.
3) His contemplation of a DOR, before even getting to MART, tells me that he is not “Recon material”. OK, so what? He’s still a good Marine, right? He just got “High Speed, Low Drag”, before having a clear understanding of what he signed up for.

To be clear: Being a Recon Marine is NOT just getting thru BRC training. That’s only the beginning. Recon is similar to being a SEAL – It’s a 24x7 by 365 day (training) MOS – aside from missions, etc. there will be constant training. Every training day will be harder and more intense. When they have free time, Recon Marines do not sit around and play XBox.

You mentioned previously:
A) “Should he talk to someone in his chain of command at SOI?”
ANS: YES. At his earliest chance, he should discuss his opinion of himself (and his chosen MOS) with his Chain of Command - Honestly and with Integrity. They will then decide what’s best for the Marine Corps.

B) “He doesn't think that's a good idea because they are all very pro-ITB so he thinks if he raises the question now, the next few weeks will not go well.”
ANS: Duh……Well sure, they’re very pro-ITB. That’s their freakin’ JOB. To train Marines for Infantry MOS’s. To go out and actually kill the bad guys, and not take casualties during the process. In the long run, it will go MUCH better for him if he discusses it now, rather than later.

C) “If anyone can provide some advice or direction I would really appreciate it.Or if anyone knows what will happen if he just DOR recon once he starts MART.”
ANS: He should discuss it with his Chain of Command. He’s already (mentally) DOR’d. If he does it NOW, he’ll likely have a good chance getting an Infantry MOS that he can enjoy and be a success in.

When the USMC says: “Recon is looking for a FEW of the finest!”; That’s what it really means. It doesn’t mean “a FEW of the finest” from High School/College. It means “a FEW of the finest” of the Marines.

Speaking from experience (I’m and old Marine, but any of the current FR Marines will likely agree), I’d suggest your son, also think about the following….

Reconnaissance units are the commander’s eyes and ears on the battlefield.

They are task organized as a highly trained six man team capable of conducting specific missions behind enemy lines. Employed as part of the Marine Air-Ground Task Force, reconnaissance teams provide timely information to the supported commander to shape and influence the battlefield. The varying types of missions a Reconnaissance team conduct depends on how deep in the battle space they are operating.

If you ever wondered, Division Reconnaissance units support the close and distant battlespace, while Force Reconnaissance units conduct deep reconnaissance in support of a landing force.

It is HIS choice and HIS choice alone to be a Reconnaissance Marine. He should be prepared (mentally and physically) to accept all challenges involved with this profession.

Lastly, having gold jump wings, does not necessarily identify a Recon Marine – a lot of Marines go to Fort Benning (and make another 5+ jumps, afterwards) that NEVER go thru Recon training; or, are actually Recon Marines.

Recon Marines never forget the principles they accepted to become a Reconnaissance Marine. Honor, Perseverance, Spirit and Heart. A Recon Marine can speak without saying a word and achieve what others can only imagine.

NO Marine is any less a Marine, whatever his/her MOS is.

finharder
11-21-12, 04:00 PM
If your son dor's at MART with that attitude he will almost certainly be re-classed with the NEEDS OF THE MARINE CORPS. when I went through MART a little less than a year ago they were sending all dor to get reclassed and some could kind of choose but others did not, it was a real up in the air thing. They really want to change the whole infantry is a fall back if I Dont make it thing.

A lot of the SOI west recon contracts DOR before they even go to MART and I'm not sure at what point they do that. He could always do that. It could be different since he's a reservist and he would have to get a MOS that the reserve area needs. Try to tell him to talk to his instructors and maybe get a hold of the recon guys at AITB who could save the time and money and drop his contract before he goes through all of SOI.

If you don't want it you won't make it at Recon. However, its worth every second. Maybe he should reconsider not trying.