PDA

View Full Version : Idea Here

Doc Crow
11-27-03, 08:30 PM
Since I am new to this site I was wondering if you all have ever had a reunion so to speak. I think it would be great if the board had something in a town someplace maybe each year or every 2 years or something. I would really like to meet many of you in person. I know we are from all over towns big and small and it sure would be nice to get some face time and maybe set up some things to do as a group

Doc Crow
11-28-03, 12:32 AM
Does anyone else like this idea???????

firstsgtmike
11-28-03, 01:43 AM
Doc,

As an outsider, looking in from the Philippines, I have read of many meetings and get togethers of various members. There is also an annual get-together in Washington D.C. to visit the Wall.

I think it would be a great idea to have a convention, a reunion, a "family gathering".

To organize and coordinate it would be a ***** of an undertaking.

To those who would volunteer, I would offer several suggestions.

1. Either central US or the coast with the most members.

2. Make it a family vacation thing, during school vacation.

3. Make the destination a place where a family would want to visit for itself.

3. Run a poll; Who would consider attending next July- Aug if it were held in... or ....., or ......, or .......

(Do your homework first. Establish costs to book x # of rooms at such and such. (Make it an out of town place, it's cheaper.)

4. Run the poll through e-mail, many members don't show up on the board too often. They should not be excluded.

IF someone decides to run with this, I would willingly provide comments, assistance, and suggestions. Personal participation and/or attendence is out of the question (wrong time of the year, visa and passport difficulties, cost, etc. etc. etc.)

But I would love to see an event unfold that I regretted not being able to participate in.

thedrifter
11-28-03, 06:53 AM
Doc Crow.......

For the last 3 years.....we have been going to Washington DC....
A fellow Marine and I started this, which we asked Leatherneck to come onboard.....
We spend a few days in Washington visiting the sites...but our main mission is to visit the Wall.....
This year we are shooting for the trip to be in may....
So, start planning folks........

Here are some pic's from last years pics......

2003 Leatherneck Reunion
Drifter's & Freebird's Washington D.C. Memorial Trip

http://www.leatherneck.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=536&thumb=1

Sempers,

Roger

Robbie0311/1800
11-28-03, 10:21 AM
Sounds good to me, I also want to look you guys in the faces.
I'm a Life time member of the USMC VIETNAM TANKERS ASSOCIATION and our next reunion is in Aug. 2005 and I'm
Looking forward to it, I haven't been to one,but know it's going to be fun to see some of my old friends and Marines.
Robbie Sgt.1962/1968

mrbsox
11-28-03, 12:26 PM
This year, LOTs of people said they were coming, but came up short on the money end.

The ones of us that made it were going to start reminding everyone else EARLY.

Now drop and give me $10, into a jar.

And do that every week till reunion time. You'll be ready.

A good times was had by all, Cas was the entertainment coordinator. :banana: :banana: And I think we found our spot.

So start saving, Southwest flys cheap, and see you there !!

Terry

Doc Crow
11-28-03, 08:20 PM
DC is fine but I was looking at a rotation of the meeting. i.e. those who live near DC handle the set up's of Hotel, Conference Room for Get to know of visit meeting in the evening. Maybe here in Phoenix area one year maybe LA or San Diego another that way we get a bit of everything around the country. I am willing to bet we have at least 4 or 5 people in almost all the States. I will go with what ever the majority wants.

I am more then willing to see what is available in the Phoenix area I know I can set up a trip on what is called the Grand Canyon Railway. It is a Narrow Gage RR that costs about $115 for 2 and that includes your trip up and back on the Train plus the hotel overnight at the Canyon. Could set up a group for a Arizona DiamondBacks Game maybe a trip to Rawhide which is an olde west town in Scottsdale maybe even a shopping trip to Mexico. There is a lot to do in this valley. Would have to be in MAy if you want to have families due to the heat we get starting in Mid June. I know many are Viet Nam Vets and your vacation seems to rotate around a trip to the Wall so not sure how many people would be interested in anything else.

As we know this country is vast and there is a lot to see.