PDA

View Full Version : US President visits Baghdad

greybeard
11-27-03, 04:03 PM
U.S. soldiers throughout Iraq were in high spirits on Thursday after President Bush made an out-of-the-blue, morale-boosting visit to Baghdad on Thanksgiving Day .

"That is absolutely awesome," said Sergeant Aaron Hildernbrandt, from Claremont, Florida, as he watched news of Bush's 2-1/2 hour swing-through on television in Saddam Hussein's hometown of Tikrit.

"I think that shows real personal courage," said his companion Sergeant Gilbert Nail of Oklahoma, both of whom had just returned from a patrol through Saddam Hussein's hometown.

Bush secretly left his Texas ranch late on Wednesday and flew on Air Force One to Baghdad, where he helped serve Thanksgiving lunch to around 600 soldiers at Baghdad International Airport.

The lightning presidential visit seemed to go some way to dispelling an impression of low morale among U.S. troops in Iraq given by many recent reports.

"I think this is a great move. For him to actually come here and spend time with the troops on the holiday. This is a good move," said Private Michael Debratta from New York as he manned a checkpoint in central Baghdad.

"This is definitely a good move for morale. It makes us feel better that our leader is actually here on a holiday."

Bush's bold visit was kept secret from all but a very small pool of White House reporters who traveled with him on the long flight from the United States .

The president, wearing a gray military zip-up top, was welcomed by Paul Bremer, the U.S.-appointed governor of Iraq, and helped serve food to a group of stunned soldiers from the 82nd Airborne Division and the 1st Armored Division.

They cheered and shouted as Bush, who is the overall commander of U.S. forces, entered the military mess at the airport, and whooped and whistled as he made a short address.

"I was just looking for a warm meal somewhere," Bush said.

"Thanks for inviting me to dinner...I can't think of a finer group of folks to have Thanksgiving dinner with than you all."

Lieutenant Colonel Steve Russell, the commander of the 1-22 Battalion of the 4th Infantry Division, which is leading the hunt for Saddam around Tikrit, was astonished at Bush's visit.

"No way," he told a reporter when told of the trip.

"I think that's great. It sends a strong message from the commander-in-chief that we're focused on winning. It's a real morale booster."

The United States has more than 130,000 troops in Iraq. In recent months they have faced a deepening insurgency from loyalists of the former regime, who almost daily set off explosions or fire mortars at U.S. positions.

More than 180 U.S. soldiers have been killed since Washington declared an end to major combat on May 1.

But despite those losses, soldiers said Thursday's visit from Bush was just the sort of thing to keep them upbeat.

"It's a total morale booster," said Nail in Tikrit.

"I didn't get to see him but what matters is that he cares enough to come and visit."

Sparrowhawk
11-27-03, 05:04 PM
Just caught it on CNN, OUTSTANDING

President Bush is a true Commander-In-Chief

I would have been proud to have served under his command.

kentmitchell
11-27-03, 06:14 PM
OUT-F******G STANDING!!!!!!!!!!

firstsgtmike
11-27-03, 06:35 PM
And is hillary ****ed! She thought SHE would get all the publicity.

Doc Crow
11-27-03, 07:14 PM
What was funny was the the Secret Service was even surprised now that is keeping a secret. I hear dthe Press *****ing that they were not informed TO FRICKING BAD. Wht the HELL was Hillary ****on doing there. They are not fighting fighting fat chick with cigars over there. We need for that **** to go away

greybeard
11-28-03, 12:33 PM
If only Dorothy had dropped a house on the wicked witch of the northeast. ....:(

bobpage
11-28-03, 02:28 PM
He is DA MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Super Dave
11-28-03, 02:53 PM
OUTSTANDING move Mr President!!

TMM54
11-28-03, 07:36 PM
Anyone who willingly flies in an airplane into an area where there
thousands of people dedicated to killing us, with ground to air
missiles in their hands, well, that is outstanding leadership!
Semper Fidelis, Tom

Doc Crow
11-28-03, 08:27 PM
I thought Hillary believes she was Dorthy Oh No thats right she said she was Jewish. My Jewish Neighbors here in Phoenix almost Barfed when they heard that