PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding information on my Dad

bberger
09-16-12, 10:44 PM
My Dad, Cpt Roger J Berger, was a former Marine who served during Vietnam starting around May 1967. I believe he went through basic at Parris Island and I know he was stationed at Camp Lejeune before...

m14ed
09-17-12, 03:07 AM
Brian.

Your profile is a little sparce, but under the circumstances, I think it's understandable.

You're on One of the best websites to get your start for looking for information about your
father, and maybe some of the history of his Vietnam Unit at least. Even though it may take
a while before somebody runs across this THREAD who may have served with him, OR his
unit.
http://www.usmcvta.org/wp-content/themes/usmcvta/images/3rdtk.pngI should also tell you that IF you do a search for the word "ONTOS"
and USMC , you'll probibly come up with units closer to your father in addition to here.

WWW .usmcvta.org

Sometimes each Site you enter , will give you a clue ,. and you can end up pinning the murder
on the butler, in the dinning room by means of a candle-stick IF you're Dilligent..

You're IN-LUCK,, at least 3rd anti tanks was one of only 3 ONTOS units in the bush

You may find ontos people hanging with other "Tankers"

GOOD LUCK in your search

We'll wish you SemperFidelis, reminding you that it means Always Faithful.

Zulu 36
09-17-12, 05:41 AM
Brian, you do need to complete more of your profile, site rules.

This thread will be closed until then.

Once your profile is complete, you can PM me or any other squad leader/mod/admin to re-open the thread.

Zulu 36
09-17-12, 06:08 PM
Profile completed, thread re-opened.

bberger
09-17-12, 06:30 PM
Christopher,

Thank you for re-opening the thread.

Ed,

Thank you for the information you provided. I was able to contact the administrator at USMCVTA who in turn provided me with some additional help.

I will try doing additional internet searches using the terms you suggested.

Thanks again for the help!
Brian

Rocky C
09-17-12, 06:36 PM
Thread moved to " Looking for a Leatherneck ".
More will see in that section and hopefully you will get more responses about your DAD.

Good luck Brian and Welcome to the Forum.

Ken Hendry
09-17-12, 09:16 PM
<CITE>www.recordsofwar.com/vietnam/usmc/3rdAntiTankBn.htm
</CITE>
The US Marines 3rd Anti-Tank Battalion in Vietnam Command Chronologies & After Action Reports

I was with 3rd Anti-Tanks 63-65
You might like the after Action reports

just type in 3rd Anti-Tanks and you have 25 or more sites to go on

bberger
10-21-12, 02:59 AM
Hi Ken,

Thanks for the website. When I try to view the individual reports it brings me to the Vietnam Center and Archives website but doesn't display any information. I was able to find a website that had the Command Chronologies where I saw my Dad's name listed as a commander for 3rd Antitank Bn Co A 1st Platoon from May 1967 until Oct 1967 at which time he was reassigned to Co C 5th Platoon.

I would like to see the After Action Reports you mentioned to see if they had any information concerning my Dad.

Thanks again for everyone's help!
Brian Berger

bberger
10-21-12, 03:12 AM
Additional information I recently found for my father, Roger J. Berger. <br />
<br />
His service number was 095430 and his MOS was 0302. <br />
<br />
Information from his Assignment/Orders paperwork: <br />
<br />
October 28, 1966...

chulaivet1966
10-21-12, 10:27 AM
Here's a link I've used which adds to Ken's website suggestion.

http://www.recordsofwar.com/vietnam/usmc/USMC_Rvn.htm

See the 'Organizational Data' in the beginning pages.

I'd suggest you download all .pdf files and read them thoroughly which only go through November '67.
I quickly checked the AAR's and your father is mentioned in all AAR's except the of November.
The November AAR is a bit different than the previous months.

Many think that these AAR's are not nearly as complete with all specifics as we would like and I agree to a point.

I have all AAR's of my unit which provided a lot of event specifics that I recalled which I could add to my personal DVD documentary of my picnic in RVN.

Hope that helps...carry on.

Chuck Atwood
04-16-13, 11:36 AM
Brian I serves with Lt. Burger almost all the time he was with
1st Pla A co.
I was a radio operator with the platoon
. At that time we were at Khesanh, moving later back to Camp Carroll. After hewent to Bn Lt willet took command. Do you if he was in Nam for 68 tet.
Chuck Atwood

KimValencia
09-03-14, 08:32 AM
Hi, i just wanted to ask for help finding my dad. His name is Mark Olsen, and sad to say thats the only information i have. All i know is he was assigned in the Philippines year 1986-1987.

Ken Hendry
09-03-14, 11:36 AM
Kim was your dad a Marine, Navy, Air Force?????

KimValencia
09-03-14, 04:49 PM
Oh yeah, i forgot to mention, he's a marine. Estimated age is 46-47

deltaco
11-18-14, 07:03 PM
You can obtain their official military records here ( of deceased military vets)
http://www.archives.gov/research/order/standard-form-180.pdf
Read directions in its entirety although pretty simply.I requested in July and received in November