PDA

View Full Version : Thanks, Marines

SARGE
11-26-03, 12:16 AM
So many stories, so little space. Being a 'Nam vet with its own Hell tucked away neatly all these years, I managed to marry and adopt 4 kids and never missed a day of work in 32 years. Retired this past July at 54 and the other half then decided to call it quits after 30 years. I've never been nothing but loyal to anything/anyone so that hit me hard. I moved out, she gets half of my retirement, had to buy her a new vehicle and make house payments for a year. She also got the house with $100k equity in it. So I'm sitting here in a barren 1 bedroom apt wondering what in the Hell did I ever do to deserve this, getting drunk everyday for 3 months to escape the demons. The VFW is within walking distance so at last I join. There I meet a guy who is in the Marine Corps League. Next thing I know I'm surrounded by fellow Marines who do nothing but offer support and ensure me I'm not a failure and to look forward, not backwards. A few even hugged me and told me they loved me as a brother. Never one to feel sorry for myself, these brothers gave me hope and perhaps a tomorrow.

Just an open note to all Marines that we're never really alone. :)

JAMarine
11-26-03, 02:34 AM
My hands on your shoulder Brother. I'm sorry for what has happened but I'm proud that you've got friends to walk the line with.
Sempers Bro.

Devildogg4ever
11-26-03, 04:01 AM
My hands on your shoulder Brother. I'm sorry for what has happened but I'm proud that you've got friends to walk the line with. Same here, SARGE! Very sorry for whats happened! Just remember, Just because things don't always work out, doesn't mean it was YOUR fault!!

Semper Fi, Bro!! http://www.angelfire.com/realm2/elitewarriorsworld/Asmily2/icon_blues.gif

firstsgtmike
11-26-03, 04:56 AM
SARGE,

I was going to send a PM, but I decided my thoughts were worth sharing and available for others to add to them.

1. DON'T TAKE IT PERSONAL! You are not the cause, just a statistic. The time after retirement is a time of stress. Both husband and wife must learn to adjust to the new "each other" and their suddenly modified roles and relationship. More divorces result during this traumatic adjustment period than for any other age group/cause.

2. GET A LIFE! You spent 32 years racing at 60MPH, you can't just slam on the brakes and sit there. Get out, mingle, meet people, get involved with those who enjoy doing the same things you do.

Your kids should be old enough to have children, teach them to know their grandfather. (But don't be a pest, be a sought after guest.)

3. GET A JOB! Not for the money, but for the fun of it. And if you can't get paid for it, then be a volunteer.

In '95 at age 58 I spent a memorable six months as a cashier ($4.50 an hour) in a general store in Yellowstone Park. I still communicate with the friends I made there. Singles and marrieds, they were all of retirement age, and we had a ball.

4. CIRCULATE, DON'T STAGNATE. Be someone that other's envy, not pity.

Make your circle wide enough, with a variety of ages and interests, and you will find there is ALWAYS something to enjoy going on.

You made a good move, the right start, with the VFW and the MCL. But don't use them as a crutch, but rather as stepping stones, a place to rendezvous before moving out together.

Welcome Home Brother,

Semper Fi

jonh1972
11-26-03, 07:57 AM
Sorry to hear your situation Marine, remember you didnt quit, she did. What comes around goes around! Things will work out for you, who knows you may find a woman who is not weak!
Semper Fi

Sixguns
11-26-03, 08:01 AM
FirstSgtMike makes some very valid points. Although I don't have his experiences or wisdom, I agree that you will not return to your stature or level of accomplishment by sitting on a bar stool. I would suggest volunteering with some community service agencies like the Red Cross, local hospitals or a United Way agency. You have a lot of knowledge and experiences you can impart on others. If you take care of yourself, everything else will take care of you. Once you give to others, they will give to you. Make up for the time you spent raising a family and supporting its memebrs. Pursue your own goals, dreams and interests. I wish you success. Marines never quit or give up. Make it happen.

SF,

Sixguns

thedrifter
11-26-03, 08:30 AM
SARGE

Sorry to hear your situation Marine......
You were given the tools to pick up and continue on your journey....
You have been given some sound advise....Don't need to hear them again....

Just remember We Are Family.....Yea sometimes we all don't see eye to eye...but we are all here to help you to continue with your dreams.......

Sempers,

Roger

Corps Values

These Corps Values are sacred and define the heart of the Marine.

Honor - A Marine must possess the highest sense of gallantry in serving the United States of America and embody responsibility to duty above self, including, but not limited to: Integrity, Responsibility, Honesty, and Tradition.

Courage - A Marine must possess the moral, mental, and physical strength to resist opposition, face danger, and endure hardship, including, but not limited to: Self-Discipline, Patriotism, Loyalty and Valor.

Commitment - A Marine must pledge to complete a worthy goal by worthy means which requires identification with that goal and demonstrated actions to support that goal, including, but not limited to: Competence, Teamwork, and Selflessness, Concern for People, and Spiritual Heritage.

Doc Crow
11-27-03, 08:36 PM
Tough Break Bro. Everything happens for a reason and most of the time we have no idea what that reason is. I hope that all turns out for you in the future.