PDA

View Full Version : Question about checking in....

usmchauer
11-23-03, 08:29 AM
Say I go to report in to the First Sgt and its actually a Gunnery Sgt or someone else for that matter. Would I still say Good Morning First Sgt so and so reporting as ordered. Or would I call them by their rank? An answer would be much appreciated. I don't want to check in to Camp Pen all f*cked up and play games for my next 3 years. BTW This message board is an excellent idea, Moderators are doing an great job.

greybeard
11-23-03, 09:00 AM
Way back when...
1st sgt was a billet, not a paygrade & I'm guessing it still is. '1stSgt' was a perfectly acceptable term to use. If you know he's the 1st sgt, address him as such-otherwise, address him/(her?) by the rank on his/(her?) sleeve. But, bear in mind, it's been 30 yrs since I reported to a 1st sgt. Protocols change I hear.

If you're wrong-I'm sure he/she will quietly, politely and curteously correct you. :D

Sixguns
11-23-03, 09:56 AM
If the individual is introduced to you as acting First Sergeant or Company First Sergeant, you should address them as such. If the individual is the Company Gunnery Sergeant who just happens to be taking care of check-ins while the First Sergeant is tending to other business, the use of the rank is acceptable. When you go to check in, a clerk or someone else will direct you to who you will report to. Use the info above to determine how you will address the Marine.

SF,

Sixguns

firstsgtmike
11-23-03, 10:11 AM
Way back when....

When they added two pay grades, they created the rank of L/CPL (E-3) and made another distinction. A Gunnery Sergeant, (E-7) has a promotion option, either to go the Administration route 1st Sgt (E-8) then Sgt. Major (E-9), OR to remain in his MOS for promotion to Master Sgt (E-8) then Master Gunnery Sgt. (E-9).

Except in rare instances, and only temporarily will a 1st Sgt or Sgt Major billet be filled by other than a 1st Sgt or Sgt Major.

When you report in, you will give your orders to an Admin Clerk. In a school or training command, you are there for temporary duty, and will probably never meet the command 1st Sgt. or the CO.

If you are joining the command as permanent personnel, the clerk will generally introduce you to the 1st Sgt, and he in turn may or may not introduce you to the CO.

Corporals and above are usually addressed by their rank, not necessarily so for Pvts, PFCs, or L/CPLs. (Basic training commands MAY be an exception to the latter.)

TracGunny
11-23-03, 02:15 PM
I suggest saying "Good morning, Gunnery Sergeant (or other rank), so-and-so reporting to the Company 1st Sergeant, as ordered". You recognize his rank and billet. That worked for me from 1978-2000.

greybeard
11-23-03, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by firstsgtmike
Way back when....

When they added two pay grades, they created the rank of L/CPL (E-3) and made another distinction. A Gunnery Sergeant, (E-7) has a promotion option, either to go the Administration route 1st Sgt (E-8) then Sgt. Major (E-9), OR to remain in his MOS for promotion to Master Sgt (E-8) then Master Gunnery Sgt. (E-9).

Except in rare instances, and only temporarily will a 1st Sgt or Sgt Major billet be filled by other than a 1st Sgt or Sgt Major.

Thanks for clearing things up 1stsgtmike-I beleive every 1st sgt I served with in my 4 yrs must have been temporary (airwing).
Maybe things were different because of the large turnover in personell during that time. People came & went nearly everyday it seemed.

Reported directly to personell at MAG14 Ch Pt, as directed on my orders-clerk took my orders & records & sent me directly to the Maint officer at H&MS-14. Went straight to work. If we had a 1st sgt, I never met him.
Had 2 1st sgts during my time at HMH-463, Marble Mt, and each was a MasterGysgt. Both flew as crew members(gunners), and were 2 of the best Marines I ever met. Just down to earth Marines that looked after their men.
Can't recall ever seeing the 1st sgt at matsg-90. Met the Sgt Maj there twice, where I spent my last 2 years, but only went to the hill upon reporting in, and once again a couple of months later and that was for some awards paperwork that finally caught up to me.
Fortunately, I stayed out of trouble my entire 4 ys, so rarely went before anyone outside my immediate unit for any reason. The Gunner (CWO4 I think) gave me my re-up talk. I should have listened to him.

Like I said, it's been 30 yrs & I've forgotten way more than I recall.

Sixguns
11-23-03, 06:05 PM
In recent times, there have been Gunnys filling 1st Sgt. billets. and 1st Sgts. filling SgtMaj. billets. These Marines are usually selected for next grade. If the list is out and the Marine is on it, he can be frocked to his select grade while holding the billet designated for the selected grade. Sometimes PCS order happen and there is no contact relief between leaders. In this case, a fill-in is usually given the duties and responsibilities until the new leader arrives.

SF,

Sixguns

firstsgtmike
11-23-03, 07:46 PM
usmchauer,

The correct answer to your question is;

ALL OF THE ABOVE.

usmchauer
11-23-03, 07:50 PM
Wow, lots of replies to this post. Thanks to all. From what I gather everyone's opinion is to just report as if they were a 1st Sgt no matter who they are? Trac Gunny : That sounds like a good idea but i'd probably screw up on it and be in for it. :) Does anyone know of a way I can check to see who is in what billets for the unit I'm checking in to? Gentlemen, again thanks for all the responses.

TracGunny
11-23-03, 09:38 PM
Idea 1: when you walk into the office to report on deck for duty, the first person you see will be either the Duty NCO (Cpl or Sgt, sometimes a PFC/LCpl if assistant Duty NCO is posted), or the Company Clerk (LCpl or Cpl, usually). Both would be prime candidates to pump for intel on who you will be reporting to and how that Marine prefers to be addressed.

Idea 2: Call ahead and ask. Since I do not know what unit at Pendleton you are headed for, I am a little at a loss to guide you where to look for the number.

Idea 3: When you get to Pendleton, you will most likely report first to Division/Wing. There, enlisted Admin-types will stamp/record your orders and receive info to assign you to your Bn/Sqdrn. Once you get your final assignment, you can get help from the clerks to call & inquire.

Idea 4: Do not sweat the small sh**, and it's all small sh**! Head up, eyes forward, and pride in your step! By God, you are a Marine! The challenge of the unknown makes your blood flow and creates not potential problems, rather potential advances! Go get 'em Marine, and let not the fear of new lands impede your progress!

the_eternal_e5
11-24-03, 01:22 PM
Many moons ago... I was reporting in on my 1st day at 29 Palms as a Cpl - was told to go see the MGySgt. Avoided introduction and conversation alltogether... snagged my foot on the cord to the 30 cup barrel coffee pot he kept on a table just inside his hatch - overturned the whole mess - grounds and coffee all over the carpet - which it turns out was new and had taken 2 years to get - guess you could call that a lasting 1st impression.

Kurt Stover
11-24-03, 04:48 PM
Actually you should report to receiving barracks at mainside...you might be there 1 or 2 days. This is the time to a) make yourself scarce or b) volunteer for everycr@p duty. Either way there...

kentmitchell
11-24-03, 05:23 PM
We always said, "Good morning, Gunny" or "Top (first sergeant)"

Have things gone so formal now?

TracGunny
11-24-03, 08:40 PM
Kentmitchell:

For checking in to a new command, yes. Dress Alphas and snap and pop. After a little salt has been added to the NFG, the formality is usually dropped, unless you are "locking heals" in front of the Marine in question, usually for discliplinary reasons.

Also, since the E-8s were split into 1st Sergeants/Master Sergeants, calling the 1st Sgt "Top" became taboo ("Top!? Do I look like I like to spin around on the Floor to you!? Get out of my office...). As long as the MSgt does not object, he/she have taken over as the "Top".

kentmitchell
11-25-03, 03:08 PM
It's gotten too complicated for us old dogs.
I guess that's why they gave us short service numbers--so we could remember them.

Interesting about "snap and pop." I was a grunt in the 9th Marines and 1st Marines and we concentrated more on being "raggedy-a$$ed Marines" and field work. Lotta time in the field.

Sixguns
11-25-03, 04:41 PM
YEAH, GO AHEAD! TRY CALLING A FIRST SERGEANT "TOP" AS KENTMITCHELL SAYS. IT WILL SURELY GET YOU ON EVERY #$& DETAIL WHILE YOU ARE AT THAT UNIT! I WOULDN'T RECOMMEND CALLING MASTER SERGEANTS "TOP" EITHER UNLESS THEY HAVE INSTRUCTED YOU TO DO SO.

I wouldn't call a gunnery sergeant "Gunny" either until he has instructed you it is all right.

SF,

Sixguns

MAJMike
11-25-03, 05:47 PM
Gunny Stover:

OUTSTANDING Advice! As a Reserve Officer (Aviator) who did his last seven months of Reserve duty as a Engineering BN XO (don't ask me, I still can't figure that one out! - end of the 'Nam era - more pilots than planes, etc.) I learned that the Corps really does operate on the experience and expertise of Staff NCOs. God Bless 'Em! Or, as my BN First Sergeant used to say, "Sir, I believe what the Major means is..." And, he was usually correct!

MR Ventura
MAJ USMCR
1968-1975

kentmitchell
11-26-03, 09:44 AM
You tell 'em Sixguns.

It must be a generations thing.
You joined about the same time that my son did.

--I noticed there had been some changes in the Corps when he mentioned air-conditioning in the barracks
-- We called master sergeants Top
-- We called tech sergeants Gunny.
-- We called ALL WOs Gunner
-- We never called a staff sergeant "Staff Sergeant," just sergeant.
--I carried an M1 and a PRC 10 (81 mortar FO team)
--We didn't have body armor
--We knew the real meaning of FMF
-- We actually called utilities dungarees as well as the official name, utilities
-- I discovered ooorah when I went to his graduation at PI.
-- Usually, if we had to scream some kind of war cry, it was "Die Mother F****R, DIE!!"
All that stuff is transient icing on the cake.
We all have the same thing engraved on our hearts. It looks like an eagle, globe and anchor.

Kurt Stover
11-26-03, 12:32 PM
MAJMike, <br />
<br />
It's just that I have witnessed a trend in the younger crop of volunteers. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure some Vietnam era Vets could show mw a thing or two, but, most of what I spew forth...