PDA

View Full Version : K-9 unit uses keen sense of smell, aids Task Force Kabul.

thedrifter
11-22-03, 06:54 AM
K-9 unit uses keen sense of smell, aids Task Force Kabul.
Submitted by: 4th Marine Expeditionary Brigade (Anti-Terrorism)
Story Identification Number: 2003111982632
Story by Cpl. Nicholas Tremblay

U.S. EMBASSY KABUL, AFGHANISTAN (November 19, 2003) -- Marines inspect every vehicle that enters the U.S. Embassy compound here for explosive devices. The Marines at the vehicle inspection area use many tools to aid them in the search. The most effective tool they frequently call upon when they need a more thorough sweep of a vehicle is the Marine Military Working Dog unit currently attached to Task Force Kabul here.

The Military Working Dog unit is comprised of two Marines and two bomb-detection Military Working Dogs from Marine Corps Air Station Miramar, Calif.

The dogs are trained to detect the odor of certain explosives found in bombs, said Sgt. Ken Porras, MWD handler and kennel master here.

The Marines and their K-9 counterparts are on call 24/7, awaiting the next time they need to search vehicles and packages entering the compound.

Our primary mission is to detect any explosives entering the compound, Porras said. ?We are here to protect the lives of Marines and embassy personnel.

Although the MWD handlers and their dogs are in potential danger every time they check a vehicle or package that enters the compound, they remain focused on the mission at hand, said Porras, a North Bergen, N.J., native.

My main goal is to stay focused on the mission and protect everyone in the embassy,? Porras said. I value my life and my dog's, but I'm a Marine first and my job is to make sure no explosive devices come into the embassy.

In the rear [back at Miramar] we train for the opportunity to come out on missions like this and put our practices to use, Porras said. Being here and on call 24/7 gives me huge job satisfaction.

When the MWD handlers are not supporting their fellow leathernecks they train one another and their dogs in bomb detection and in patrolling. This necessary training is needed to keep the dogs and handlers proficient in their demanding jobs, Porras said.

To keep one another on their toes, Porras and Lance Cpl. Chris James, MWD handler, make bomb detection drills as realistic as possible. They never tell the other handler where they hid the training aid (controlled explosives that are found in bombs) so not only is the dog enhancing his detection skills, but the handler is also enhancing his presentation skills as well.

My dog might have the greatest nose in the world, but if I don't keep my mind and presentation skills sharp, then the dog might miss a potential explosive device, Porras said.

The two dogs have well trained noses and more than 10 years of combined experience, but if their handlers do not point them in the right direction, the chances of overlooking a bomb increases, Porras said. The handler and dog are a close-knit team that relies on each other to effectively get the job done.

Porras has been working with his K-9 partner Kwinto, a 6-year-old Belgium Malenois, for more than a year and they have grown fond of each other. During the little down time they have between training and vehicle/package inspections, they can sometimes be found in a remote corner of the compound playing tug-of-war with Kwinto?s favorite chew-toy.
According to Porras the biggest challenge the handlers have faced since they?ve been here is dealing with the weather, especially during the summer months.

In the summer the temperature gets up into the mid to upper 90's, Porras said. It gets real dry and dusty and it takes a while for the dog to adjust to the climate.

To battle the hot summers and the cold winters a new kennel is being built for the dogs that will include heating and air-conditioning, Porras said.

"The dogs proficiency depends on the dog handler," said James, a Placerville, Calif., native. "It's up to the handler to give his partner [dog] the training he needs."

The biggest fear a handler can have is that your dog misses something because you didn't give him a good presentation and then someone gets hurt, James said. The most horrible thing is if someone gets killed because you didn't do your job proficiently.
When conducting a search, the handler walks the dog around the vehicle and points to an area he wants him to search. The dog's behavior changes and sits when he sniffs-out and detects a potential explosive device, showing his handler he found a possible threat.

I won't take chances, James said. If the dog doesn't sit, but he behaves like something is out of the ordinary, there might be a bomb and I'll call the Explosive Ordinance Disposal Marines to take a closer look.

The K-9 unit also supports the Regional Security Officer whenever they are needed to search areas in town when important personnel visit, Porras said.

During their time here the K-9 unit has completed a combined total of 297 vehicle searches, 409 package/luggage searches, and supported more than seven VIP visits.

The Marines and dogs are on a three-month rotation with the other bomb detection MWDs and handlers from MCAS Miramar. Porras, James, Kwinto and Tako have finished four months in Kabul and are scheduled to leave within the next two weeks.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/34C8A1864AAF16A685256DE30049D755?opendocument

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: