View Full Version : Educators attend Marine workshop

thedrifter
11-22-03, 06:04 AM
Educators attend Marine workshop

Published Thu, Nov 20, 2003
By MICHAEL KERR
Gazette staff writer
More by Michael Kerr
A year ago Stephanie Gruber, a teacher and guidance counselor at Dorchester Academy in St. George, was helping Kevin Dantzler earn the last credit he needed to graduate from high school.
The credit, an English class, also was the last thing standing between Dantzler and his post-high school plans of becoming a United States Marine.

"I really think he doesn't know why he wanted to join," Gruber said Wednesday at Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island, moments after seeing Dantzler for the first time since he started boot camp. "He wanted to do something special with his life ... maybe earn respect."

Dantzler was a "little out of control" in school, but Gruber always knew he was a "good boy deep down," she said.

"Ultimately, I think he will be a success," she said.

Dantzler was in the middle of the grueling, 54-hour final test at Parris Island known as the Crucible, exactly one week from graduation, as Thanksgiving will bump next week's ceremony up to Wednesday.

Caked in mud and out of breath, the 19-year-old recruit said the most important thing he had learned since training began was to always respect others and himself.

"That's what this recruit thinks you really learn," Dantzler said, during a rare moment of rest.

He also expressed his gratitude to Gruber, who, he said, helped him make it through high school.

"Seeing Miss Gruber was pretty special. She helped this recruit so much. She pushed this recruit when he didn't want to do his homework," he said. "This recruit just wants to thank her for what she did."

Gruber's visit, a surprise to Dantzler, was part of an educators workshop, which the depot holds about 10 times each year. Teachers, guidance counselors and coaches from around the country come to Parris Island to see training up close, to learn about the Marine Corps and to better prepare themselves to help students who express an interest in joining the Corps after high school.

"(Educators) are vitally important to what we do," said Cpl. Eric Lucero, the marketing and public affairs representative for Recruiting Station South Carolina. "No single kid would just go straight with a recruiter without consulting with a guidance counselor first."

Workshops give the Marine Corps a chance to quash any misconceptions educators might have, Lucero said.

"This gives them a better idea what goes on here and gives them some peace of mind," he said. "They see the leadership and respect we instill in kids here."

Seeing the training for herself, Melva Chandler, a teacher at Crest High School in Shelby, N.C., said she would be more likely to recommend the Corps.

"I see the drill instructors really take care of the recruits," Chandler said. "Safety is always utmost in their minds, even though they're training for a very dangerous job."

And Chandler could soon have a much closer relationship with the Corps, as her 17-year-old son is considering enlisting after he graduates.

"That's part of the reason I came. I wanted to check out the program as a mama and as a teacher," Chandler said. "I feel much better about him going through the process now. ... I think he'll make a good Marine."

In her brief meeting with Dantzler, Gruber could see a difference in him, she said.

"He stood straighter," she said. "He had more of a sense of himself."

And hearing him thank her for helping him get there meant the world to Gruber.

"If I touch nobody else, at least I know that something I did say or do to him has taken effect," she said.

http://www.beaufortgazette.com/local_news/story/3036444p-2778463c.html

The Drifter
:marine: