PDA

View Full Version : Vmb 621 ww ii

Johncuz
07-22-12, 12:19 PM
My uncle H.M. Witcombe served in the Marine air wing in the Pacific in WW II. I have a patch from VMB 621 but from what I have found that unit never made it to the Pacific. I am trying to find more information on his service record. Any help would be appreciated.

ggyoung
07-22-12, 06:22 PM
There is one old Marine on here that gives a good history of the Marine boming of WW11. But I can not think of his name. I will try to find it.

ggyoung
07-22-12, 06:28 PM
He is yanacek

yanacek
07-23-12, 11:50 AM
VMB-621 was formed at MCAS Cherry Point on 11 April 1944 under the command of Major Robert Kiltgaard. On 31 January 1945 the squadron was redesignated as a torpedo-bombing squadron (VMTB-621) and re-equipped with TBM Avenger torpedo-bombers. The squadron then moved to Santa Barbara, California in February 1945 to complete their training syllabus and prepare for departure overseas. They sailed from San Diego for Pearl Harbor and arrived there on 27 August 1945--just following the announcement of the Japanese surrender. I'm pretty sure that this squadron was slated for operations in the invasion of Japan which fortunately, became unnecessary following the atomic strikes on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Shortly following the end of the war the squadron returned to the states and was decommissioned.

ggyoung
07-23-12, 05:06 PM
:flag::thumbup:yanack I need your web site on the bomb sit. I have lost most of my comp. This is a must site for most Marines because none of this was said in boot camp.

yanacek
07-23-12, 11:41 PM
:flag::thumbup:yanack I need your web site on the bomb sit. I have lost most of my comp. This is a must site for most Marines because none of this was said in boot camp.

Actually, the Marine Bombing Squadrons received a lot of good press during WW-II, and assignment to any of those squadrons was rather prestigious. Over 14,000 officers and men served with one of the 16 VMBs that were commissioned between 1943 and 1944. After the war all the VMBs were decommissioned and their PBJs (B-25 Mitchells) were scrapped. Sadly, the contributions made by these squadrons were relegated to mere footnotes in Marine Corps history.

I have sites for the eight VMBs that made it overseas during the war. Of these eight, VMB-613 has the most detailed and thorough history. They can be seen at http://www.vmbmarines.com

Semper Fi,
Robert

DWG
07-24-12, 06:01 AM
There is one old Marine on here that gives a good history of the Marine boming of WW11. But I can not think of his name. I will try to find it.

Yanacek is hardly old! I know old, and he ain't!:D