PDA

View Full Version : S-2 of Press Releases

yellowwing
11-21-03, 01:22 AM
Does it make anyone else wonder why we are still releasing so much information about our forces?

The media is publishing troop rotation schedules, who the CO is and what his assets are. Then that article on the EA6Bs got me wondering. Why are we telling the world how many electronic warfare aircraft are available, and when the replacements will be ready. They went on to even publish where they are distributed.

The censors did a pretty good job in filtering tactical info during the initial attack. Where are they now?

firstsgtmike
11-21-03, 02:28 AM
I'd love to hear a heavyweight from the Pentagon's response to THAT one. Preferably someone from J-2.

If Bagdad Bob was still on the air, I can just imagine the lead-in for one of his shows;

We'd like to welcome the arrival of the 1600 Marines from 2/8. Greetings, Col. ............., Welcome Sgt. Major ............... How'd your son do in the soccer tournament? Did you guys ever get your problem with your ammo supply taken care of? We've short stopped a quantity of e-mails addressed to you guys, but we'll pass them on to you first chance we get. Cpl. ............, your wife had a baby boy, she and your son miss you but are doing fine."

Tune in tomorrow, same time for more "Memos From Home".

Devildogg4ever
11-21-03, 05:14 AM
Maybe thats why they get clobbered when they do! It's stupid for the press do do it, and our government for letting them! I'm beginning to wonder if there is a hidden reason for it.

Sixguns
11-21-03, 06:42 AM
As a former public affairs guy, I can tell you that OpSec is closely adhered to in our military press releases. Sometimes the political arm of the military, (DOD), releases unit information, rotation schedule and mission activity to improve public opinion. I guarantee you that if a Marine or other servicemember released these stats, they would be pounding the pavement looking for a new line of work.

Sixguns